SIG Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry everyday. This includes to work being in the trades and it sits in my truck locked away while im on job anywhere around me in chicago land. Currently im at one of the 2 main airports near me for work which raised some concern as to where i cross the line. Im okay to carry according to the tsa and swat cops that are nice enough to talk to me as the parking area i am restricted to is under city property not the airlines. Now ive come to my next issue. I picked up my new m11a1 late last week and although i had a weekend of gun stuff planned the kids took over. I pass a local range to and from work and figure id stock up 1 morning and have a hr pit stop on my way home. Would you lock away a second gun if your lock box has the room. Do you think bringing a few 2-300 rounds of 9 along with 100-200 rounds of 357 sig would be to much. I hate to leave my carry gun out of the party if this pit stop happens. Im not concerned with theft as lot is patrolled by chicagos finest all day. Ive seen guys leave wallet in car unlocked visible to any1 walking by and nothing missing. My only concern is some mornings ill get random stop for dogs sniff test. Will the bulk ammo trigger anything.

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
You probably already have enough residue on you and transferred to the interior of your vehicle from past range outings to trigger a trained dog's nose.
Carrying extra ammo won't make a difference there.
If you keep the vehicle in the city property location and you have a clean record, I wouldn't worry. You might get hassled if the do find it but I doubt it. The are going to know that a few hundred rounds will easily be burned through on a fun range day. :)

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
My only concern is some mornings ill get random stop for dogs sniff test. Will the bulk ammo trigger anything.
Hmm. Guess that should be a concern of mine now....:lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would not worry about the amount, carry what you feel comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Is that really black powder or are you just repurposing the boxes?
Yes and yes. It WAS black powder [you'll note the boxes are sealed] - now it is smoke. Once it was all used up, I gave the boxes to a buddy who used them to pack some stuff in his garage when he moved. So both.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Even in Chicago I don't think there is an ammunition quantity restriction. And if you have such a safe place to park, thank your lucky stars and load up for the range time. I think the most loaded magazines I've taken was for a long road trip for a few weeks, and I probably took 6 extra 12 round mags of 357. I personally don't normally take it with me if I cannot carry it on me.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Every time some guy on TV is announced to be armed and dangerous and carrying (announcers voice, like it is real bad) "300 rounds of LIVE ammo" I always sink down in my seat and ask my wife, "is carrying 2 weapons and 300 rounds bad? Cause I must be REAL bad." Or when they say, "his home was searched and Police found 600 rounds of ammo". OOPS. I have been pulled over and had the cop ask, are these ALL of you weapons and ammo that you have? I usually answer, "I THINK so. But I went to the range on Sat and could theoretically have a few rounds or even a pistol in the trunk? But I am pretty sure I got it all unloaded."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A hr or so at my favorite local shooting range or as my wife calls it my watering hole since i dont drink. I had no issues. Dogs may or may not have been by my truck any of the days ive decidex to stop on my way home. I normally carry my 13 rnds plus 1 extra mag of some lehigh extreme penetration.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Hopefully 1 round is over prepared, so I see no problem with 1000 or so in my vehicle in case an unexpected range visit affords itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts