SIG Talk banner

How many rounds before tear down cleaning

3728 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  jtallen83
I field strip, clean, and lubricate my Sig P229's immediately after every outing. That would be once a week after 165-200 rounds of use each outing.

Wanted to know what the best practice is regarding complete teardown and cleaning through, say, an ultrasonic cleaner?

Would once annually be sufficient....twice based on how much I'm shooting?

Thoughts?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
I used to completely disassemble my 226 after every 1000 rds (except for removing the firing pin; I did that just once in 10-12000-ish rounds). It wasn't really necessary to do it that often, but I like to keep things clean. It's a quick and simple job, so there's no reason not to do it now and then.

· Registered
6,124 Posts
I used to completely disassemble my 226 after every 1000 rds (except for removing the firing pin; I did that just once in 10-12000-ish rounds). It wasn't really necessary to do it that often, but I like to keep things clean. It's a quick and simple job, so there's no reason not to do it now and then.
"Every 10-12k rds" thats a lot of shootin doc.
Keep on keepin on man.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm shooting about 8000 rounds a year. 165, or so, every week...thus, my question on tear down, ultrasonic type cleaning, etc.

My gunsmith does an annual tear down cleaning, with ultrasonic cleaning, for free as part of the sale...for 10 years. As a master gunsmith, and one who builds custom AR's as well as mills and configures custom parts, he recommends this. I had it done with my P229 Nitron after it's first year and it came back as clean as new. Just wanted to know what others thoughts were as there is some negative info out there regarding ultrasonic cleaners. You know what they say...if it is on the internet it must be true...LOL!!!

· Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm also a field stripped only after shooting or 3 months of carry guy. I do spray the frame assembly and slide out good with remclean or whatever and follow that with compressed air, if its nasty. Remclean really dries everything out though so I follow that with a good spray down with rem oil and more compressed air before final assembly and normal lube.

· 🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you have night sights check to make sure that the ultrasonic cleaner will not kill the lamps. Most lamps are glued in with a silicon adhesive and the vibrations could be a problem.

A friend of mine tried that on a relatively new gun and killed the lamps. I don't know what solution he used but use caution.

Reactions: asdfzxcv

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lingham

If you have night sights check to make sure that the ultrasonic cleaner will not kill the lamps. Most lamps are glued in with a silicon adhesive and the vibrations could be a problem.

A friend of mine tried that on a relatively new gun and killed the lamps. I don't know what solution he used but use caution.
Yes...that was a concern I had. However, my gunsmith said he has never had a problem and has used it for years. Plus, I believe, if you sent it into Sig for a teardown and cleaning...they stick it all in the ultrasonic machine for cleaning with the lamps on. At least that is what I was told. Unless someone sent their handgun in for NEW night or XRay sights and the cleaning...then they are put in and cleaned before the new sights are added. Again, that is what I was told. However, someone else might be able to shed more light on that.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
I clean them when they stop working. If it's my EDC it's after I shoot it.
Most others get shot, wiped down and put away. I was done being anal about that years ago.
You could shoot that 8,000 rounds thru the gun and do nothing other than apply a drop or two of lube inside rails with it locked back and a drop or so in a couple other places without even needing to remove the slide.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
I EDC OC a P228 ...sent it back to SIG last Spring to get everything done. Haven't cleaned it since. Can't remember cleaning it in the previous 2-3 years. If it won't operate correctly dirty, I have no use for it. If it does have a malfunction I want to know for SURE what caused it.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
While I have a couple of ultrasonic tanks I haven't bought in to putting my guns in one. Primarily most of the cleaners are water based and even if not I would want to detail strip after to wipe dry and lube. And if I'm going to that trouble I just clean it in the traditional way, wipe/brush with cleaner, rinse with remoil and blow dry. For normal cleanings I just field strip and pull the locking block to clean under and around it.
When they are new I detail strip, clean and lube, after then maybe every few years.

· Registered
58 Posts
Walmart has a good price on CRC Brake Cleaner ("Brakleen").
I prefer the old formula with the deadly fumes!! And it costs less.
Cleans with pressure through a straw, drys quickly. Then I lube.
A few shots after immersion in your water-based cleaner and you will be good to go for lube.

USE OUTDOORS.

Similar products were/are marketed with gun cleaning labels. They cost more and do not seem to be any different.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
For Sigs and most other guns I really don't see the need for an ultrasonic dip.
I've seen them destroy a lot of finshes as well as other stuff. On a Sig especially if you remove grip/s the gun is wide open. A toothbrush, some q-tips and then BLAST it with gunscrubber or similar and it's gonna be clean enough. There's really no need to detail strip it or remove anything.
Sometimes overthinking it leads to overdoing it.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
For Sigs and most other guns I really don't see the need for an ultrasonic dip.
I've seen them destroy a lot of finshes as well as other stuff. On a Sig especially if you remove grip/s the gun is wide open. A toothbrush, some q-tips and then BLAST it with gunscrubber or similar and it's gonna be clean enough. There's really no need to detail strip it or remove anything.
Sometimes overthinking it leads to overdoing it.
Kinda what I thought but ignorance is cured with questions not my own supposition.
I am evolving toward mostly Sig type hand guns (I have 3 CZ999 Compacts which are Sig clones so even my truck/throwaway guns are Siggy) so would likely not need something else equipment wise that was not great for the Sig's maintenance

· Registered
408 Posts
Nothing more than a good detailed brush, rag, pad, would do... No need for an ultrasonic cleaner. There's nowhere that could clean that you couldn't do with some detailed attention. Ultrasonic cleaners are for those who are lazy to clean it the right way. If you are that concerned about cleaning it, do it right, by hand. : )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.