SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long the shortage might go on. I missed earlier shortages, because I wasn't into shooting. My first 50 years of shooting, I likely shot 1,000 rounds through a Colt 1911 (long ago sold) and a Python (sold and used the money to get 2 Sigs). These last 3 years, I've shot 8,000 rounds. I continue to shoot and have 2,500 rounds in the basement, so I'm likely OK until the craziness ends. Just wondering if that's 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, or whatever? Any info based on past shortages is appreciated!

Stay sane out there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I doubt anyone really knows. Unprecedented. Production is ongoing, so re-supply will happen, but you'll have to quick on the order button for awhile to get anything.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Just wondering how long the shortage might go on. I missed earlier shortages, because I wasn't into shooting. My first 50 years of shooting, I likely shot 1,000 rounds through a Colt 1911 (long ago sold) and a Python (sold and used the money to get 2 Sigs). These last 3 years, I've shot 8,000 rounds. I continue to shoot and have 2,500 rounds in the basement, so I'm likely OK until the craziness ends. Just wondering if that's 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, or whatever? Any info based on past shortages is appreciated!

Stay sane out there.
The shortage is now and there will be another in the fall, especially if Trump doesn't get back in.
As long as the ammo producers can operate plants they will have a chance to catch up.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
The biggest issue we are facing is supply of components. Not everything is sourced domestically. Not sure how true this is, but I have heard of a good portion of the lead comes from China. Unlike 2013 where product was being produced night and day to keep up with demand, the manufacturers may not have the materials needed to produce ammo for months. And then once they do, it will be a long time before they can ramp up enough production to meet the demand again.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I am not going to the range for now. It's outdoors so I am not worried about being too close to people. Just going to hold on to the supplies I have. Don't believe I need to buy more at this time. I don't want to add to the buying crazy going on. Hopefully prices and supply will return to normal soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am not going to the range for now. It's outdoors so I am not worried about being too close to people. Just going to hold on to the supplies I have. Don't believe I need to buy more at this time. I don't want to add to the buying crazy going on. Hopefully prices and supply will return to normal soon.

Same here ... PA closed all state controlled public ranges yesterday. Bummed, was going to go today or Sun. Guess it will be a casting or reloading day.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
As a gun show vendor (1 table as a hobby local show only) I have witnessed, experienced and participated in many panic spikes where ammo became very expensive and unavailable and dips where selling it at what you paid for it is a huge win.

Having a wealth of experience in these swings from high to low I can accurately predict the markets on guns and ammo precisely somewhere between I have no idea to I don't have a clue

If someone tells you different they are full of it or are lying to you :fpc:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would guess this will last through the presidential election. If President Trump doesn’t get re-elected I would guess it will last considerably longer and maybe never be what it was a month ago especially if they strip us of the 2nd Amendment.

But who really knows...

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
I don't believe we will see availability or price anywhere near what it was a couple of months ago, before the election. And I'm afraid the election will trigger a second wave of panic buying that might rival all previous ones. I think the.economic damage that this virus has caused is going to severely damage Trump's chances to win. The media has shown that they don't care how much fear and economic destruction they cause, they are going to continue to drive the fear and use it against the Administration. God only knows what will happen after the election.

When we in the South faced empty gas stations after Katrina, I was "concerned" about being prepared for unexpected contingencies in a disaster, but I didn't change anything about my habits. However, seeing the insanity that people are displaying during this "crisis" has changed that.

On the other side of this, I'm going to be thinking about preparing for lean times extensively, and taking action. There is a lot to think about, and a lot to do. I'm not talking about building a stronghold in the mountains somewhere. I have no delusions about surviving in such an existence at our age and health. But I'm going to be better prepared after this. Going to take work. A lot of planning.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would guess this will last through the presidential election. If President Trump doesn’t get re-elected I would guess it will last considerably longer and maybe never be what it was a month ago especially if they strip us of the 2nd Amendment.

But who really knows...
If Trump does not get elected, that means the mood of the people who controlled the EC in 2016 changed or were outnumbered. Extrapolating the likelihood from that scenario where Biden wins the presidency, it would mean that the Senate majority would also change. Same voters voting Biden would be the same voters voting for their state's Senate seat. We don't even need to talk about the House.

Presidency, Senate, House. Losing it all means exactly that this time. I give a Biden/DNC paired with a Dem House and Senate egged on by their media 4 months to begin to change existing firearm law during which would cause everything out there to stay hoovered up and prices for firearms to skyrocket. Lord knows what the finished state of our 2A will be in after they get done with it.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
After the Sandy Hook shooting it took over 2 years before 9MM and 22 was readily available and reasonably priced again. I have no idea how long it will take this time and there are a number of possible factors that will impact. IF the gun grabbing/banning democrats take back the White House and the senate in 2020 we may never see the availability and low prices on ammo we have had in recent years again.

My advice for the current situation is to sign up for text alerts at the popular online ammo suppliers such as SGAmmo and Target Sports USA and be able to react very quickly, within minutes, if you receive and in stock notification but still expect to pay significantly higher that what we have seen in 2019/early 2020.

·
Registered
171 Posts
it could take years for the ammo supply or prices to get back to normal

everytime the US goes to war or something big happens the ammo suppliers raise prices

and say it's because of this or that, etc

.45 ammo prices went up and the shelves were empty, so I stopped using my M1911A1 for 5 - 7 years

9mm was also scarce, gun show vendors were asking $40 for a 50 rd box of Winchester White box and this was back around 2012?

Winchester WWB 45 value pack of 100 rds was priced at $100 back around the that time, gun shops jacked up the prices because of the hoarding

·
Registered
140 Posts
During the warm months which are few here high up in the Rocky Mtns. I shoot my latest favorite rounds. The 10MM handguns are getting my attention. The SIQ Hunter 10MM is a great pistol. I can run a thousand rounds of 10 MM through a Dillon Progressive loader quickly. Just ordered 5,000 Hollow Base bullets from Berry's bullets.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts