SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've gotten lazy.

I used to shoot mostly at 25 yards when I shot revolvers outdoors.

But after joining an indoor range I find myself shooting pistols mostly at 7 or 10 yards (And yes, it's a lot more fun blowing the center out of the target when it's up close.) I'd say 85% of the shooters at the range reel the target out to 7 yards at most (and don't keep 'em in the black at that) except for the guy shooting a .44 mag and proving I need better ear protection).

Once in a while I'll shoot my Sig 250 .380 at 5 yards but usually just to g to transition between SA on my Walthers or 229 and the DAO on the 250.

So here's the question: at what distance do you shoot which guns? (I almost always shoot my 226 or P99 or BHP at 10 yards and my 99c, P6 or Walther P4 at 7 yards.) Not limiting it to Sigs would be interesting.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
Hand guns 3-25 yards. Mostly 5-15yds
Not handguns 10-??? yards

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I am an old "Bullseye" shooter, but the ranges here only go out to 50 feet. There is one exception that goes to 75 feet. So most of mine is at 15 yds. That is considered "combat" range by most of what I am reading.
But I use NRA 25 yd slow fire small bore targets, and usually keep everything in the 8,9, and 10.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I usually stay in the 7-10 yard range simply because I prefer shooting for tight shot groups over just plinking. I definitely stay in that distance at an indoor range cause it seems harder for me to see indoors

I recently got a Desert Eagle 50 and was wondering why it was shooting so high @ 10 yrds till I looked it up and see that its zeroed for 100 yards. I found some youtube vids of some shooting out 200-250 yards with it too. I havent tried anything close to that but I guess it does make a difference in some pistol types

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
761 Posts
p320 x5 range gun, mostly 10 to 15 yards, some at 25 yards. My eyesight is pretty poor so 25 yards is very blurry and it's just seeing if I can stay on the paper...10 is IMO the real limit of my eyes and 15 is pushing it slightly.

M&P Shield EDC mostly 5-10 yards. Some 5 yards point and shoot...holster draw is not allowed, so I pick it up from the bench to simulate the draw. 7 yards IMO is a good self defense distance, and 10 yards to refine the skills.

These are all with red dot, so I can wear glasses. With iron sights, I'm at mostly 5 yards and a little at 7, and laugh at myself when I try 10.

I'm having cataract and glaucoma surgery in the next few weeks so I'm hoping that will make the difference in vision.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I do most at 25-50yds, sight-ins, load development and general shooting but recently I started shooting IDPA so started doing draws, shooting on the move and multi-taps at 7-10 yds.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
In the majority of cases, 25 yards is the "maximum". Years ago, while in LE, with Sig P226 in both 9mm and .40S&W, part of the "qualification" included 50 yard stage. Even back in the day, IIRC "Match" type courses included a 50 yard stage with M1911A1s in .45ACP. Given the majority of handgun sights today fall into the "combat" classification, the front posts are almost "too wide" to effectively engage a "human sized target"!
Given the new propensity to use optical sights, I could see once again extending handgun ranges.
As previously mentioned, a range of 100 yards, would not be impossible, in "my" case, I'd need a "scope" to be able to discern the target at that range... the ability for me to hit it, would fall into the "Luck" category... unless it was the broadside of a barn!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
with defensive hand guns 3 to 7 yards with the AR 25 yards or less, that is the max, the in door range I go to have and frankly that is as far I can see with the iron sights on the AR lol.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
3,158 Posts
I shoot mostly at 7 - 10 yards, with an occasional target out a bit further.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Unless sighting in I try to practice at a minimum of 12 yds since that would be the longest shot I would likely have to make in my house. I will stretch it to 20-25 yards. My goal is to be able to consistently do lethal head shots on a 'bad guy' target at those ranges.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Mostly 3 to 15 yards. Will go further on occasion. The longer ranges are just to see what I can do at the longer ranges. Since I am long retired from the police dept. I don't see me ever needing to shoot at a living target at more then 15 yards. But I have learned to never say never and so I will do a certain about of longer distance practice.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Occasionally closer, but usually 15-100 yards. The longer distance just to see if I can. Shooting from the bench with 9MM and 38 Super I can "usually" hit a dinner plate sized target at 100. Tougher using a .45, unless I wanted to adjust the sights for 100 yds., and I don't. Tactical, practical, proves anything, impresses anyone? Nope, just curiosity and fun.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I practice for defensive usage with hand guns so I usually shoot between 3-7 yards because I figure that's going to be the most with a defensive situation.....rifles I usually go between 25 and 100yds due to the distance restrictions of my range

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I'll roll out to 25 yards for a couple of mags but most of my shooting is at 15. Shooting Bullseye from years back it seems incredibly close but I can't imagine a confrontation at a greater distance. It's fun to see how accurate you might be at a greater distance... it's just not very practical in a defense scenario.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am limited at my RGC indoor range to 50 ft targets only and no FMJ. It is close, I get to fire my rigs to test fire them, and it's not crowded. I do travel to a better set up that's a bit of a drive and more spendy but it's very flexible on target types and distances, more modern, I can rent guns, and it has ammo flexibility. I see way more people there shooting between 3 and 10 yards and I do too as I get more than enough distance shooting at my RGC. Close in targets are more relevant for CC IMHO but spending some mags at distance is fun if nothing else. I always have a good time at the range and it's like a vacation from the grind once I put the eye and hearing protection on.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I usually shoot from 10 to 15 yr most of the time. In PPC, you start at 7 yd and move back to 50'. so that falls mostly in my normal range. I have a CZ 75 Tac Sports that was sighted at 50 meters when new (fixer TALL, rear sight). I could put 15/20 on an 8" bull at 50 yd. most of the time.
I shot Bullseye a few times. Once at Perry! If you want to be humbled, try shooting a handgun at 50 yd one handed!

Reactions: Maccabee
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.