SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
We all handle recoil differently so how the recoil feels is subject to each persons perceptions .

I have to say I don't own a 357sig BUT the 40 loads I run or have tested like the underwood 135gr ammo is as fast and produce as much or more energy as the hottest 357sig ammo to be found or loaded . With a 135gr 40sw at 1424fps and a 155gr at 1318fps in my p320 compact is a very controllable handgun to rapid fire . Reload practice ammo and you can run reduced loads in the 9mm PL or cover anything the 357sig can make 600ft lbs energy .

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
439 Posts
I got a conversion kit earlier this year in 357 Sig, Carry size. After 400 rounds through it, my impression is that p320 handles it just fine. I really enjoy shooting that caliber in the p320.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the P320C .40 S&W caliber x-change kit and I also bought the .357 SIG OEM compact barrel.

I really like both rounds in the P320C, but like many point out it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
552 Posts
With a 135gr 40sw at 1424fps and a 155gr at 1318fps in my p320 compact is a very controllable handgun to rapid fire .
Wow. You must have hands and arms like Thor. Running loads like that in a full size, metal frame would be a real challenge for me to rapid fire without shooting up the whole range, much less a compact polymer. 155gr .40 cal moving at 1300+ ain't nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Shooter Magavin Wow. You must have hands and arms like Thor.

Try some and decide for your self . The p320c is very controllable and I have a hard time feeling any real difference between a slower "factory " loads and hotter loads even on the shot timer !! I only went to the p320 after a few different hand surgey's caused a loss of dexterity and strength . Carpal tunnel that went with out surgery almost to long thanks to being a custom home builder for small do it all company and "trigger" finger surgery on index and bird finger caused me to change from my old tp40 kahr to the p320c with the same ammo .

I can tell you a 10 year old grandson will shoot a mag full of the 155gr underwoods ammo in ether pistol with a big smile on his face . Guess hes to young to understand when recoil is to much !!

Try some underwood or buffalo bore just to see how it feels .

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shooter Magavin Wow. You must have hands and arms like Thor.

Try some and decide for your self . The p320c is very controllable and I have a hard time feeling any real difference between a slower "factory " loads and hotter loads even on the shot timer !! I only went to the p320 after a few different hand surgey's caused a loss of dexterity and strength . Carpal tunnel that went with out surgery almost to long thanks to being a custom home builder for small do it all company and "trigger" finger surgery on index and bird finger caused me to change from my old tp40 kahr to the p320c with the same ammo .

I can tell you a 10 year old grandson will shoot a mag full of the 155gr underwoods ammo in ether pistol with a big smile on his face . Guess hes to young to understand when recoil is to much !!

Try some underwood or buffalo bore just to see how it feels .
I have tried 180 gr Buffalo Bore 40S&W out of P229 and follow-up shot were difficult to get back on target fast enough for rapid fire.
I have also loaded 155 XTPs 40s with long shot that chrony'd an avg. 1307 fps from my 229 and they were also hard to control in rapid fire. P226 was a little better, but not much.
I don't own P320 compact so I can't make a comparison. But if it handles these loads better than a 229 or 226, It must be great ergonomics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I carry a P320c in 357 Sig pretty often. The recoil is really a non issue. The gun seems like it was made for it. Especially when comparing it to a Glock 31 or 32. I've let other people shoot it that don't own a 357 Sig, and they were surprised by how easy shooting it is. I think the 40 S&W recoils worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a full size P320 in 357 Sig caliber, and I love it. I also own a Smith & Wesson Model 686 357 Magnum, and it has more recoil wth every round I tested than the Sig.

When I first got my P320, I tested a half dozen different rounds including Sig Sauer, Hornady, Speer, Underwood, and Buffalo Bore, to compare recoil and muzzle flash, which is a concern to me for night time self defense. Underwood and some Buffalo have the hottest rounds with the highest muzzle velocity, but also the most muzzle flash and recoil.

Most of the other ammo is in the middle, but Buffalo also makes a line of ammo with low flash, low recoil powder that are a joy to shoot. This is the round I have chosen for my self defense, with the impressive tac-xp hollow point bullet. You can shop around for the lowest price, but it will always be one of the more expensive rounds out there:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...xp-hollow-point-low-flash-lead-free-box-of-20

For a cheaper practice round, try Speer Lawman, very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Shooter magavin One reason I tend to not shoot any 180gr and never gona shoot the BB or underwood 180gr loads . My preferred weight is a 155gr at 1300fps + and maybe it is just me and I have a grip like thor !!! Hahahehe.

I started shooting 357mag and loading ammo for it when I was 21 .and a 44mag revolver 2 years later . My favorite d357mag eer loads is a speer sp 170gr at 1440fps . Also a 240gr nosler hp at 1500 fps for deer . but the 357mag was mainly a hog gun with a 180gr swc as quick as 1400fps buy found it did just as well at 1200fps at short ranges it was used at . Now those are a few rather snappy loads and makes my p320 155gr underwood load feel tame . Revolvers are dan wesson's with 8" barrels .

Fotodog Cheaper ammo if your going to continue to shoot regularly is home rolled ammo !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hardluk1, I'm curious, can you estimate the average cost per round for 357 Sig practice loads? And how much of an investment would be needed to get started in reloading?
Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hardluk1, I'm curious, can you estimate the average cost per round for 357 Sig practice loads? And how much of an investment would be needed to get started in reloading?
Thanks!
357 Sig will not be the cheapest to reload, but cheaper than manufactured ammo.
I only use plated or jacketed 9mm for Reloading the 357 Sig. The brass is about 25c a case. But you reuse it many times depending on how hot you load.
Powder is around $30 a lb. 7000 gr of powder @ avg 8 gr per load is 875 rounds per lb. So 3 cents each. Primer 3c each. Bullets jacketed 20c each.
So not including the brass you are at 25-30 cents a round.

Reloading equipment is $150 - $450 depending on how fast and how many you want to sit an load. Low end will get you a single stage or turrent press @50-150 rnds an hour and many of the caliber specific accessories. And $450+ will get you into Progressive press area. 200-400 rnds an hour. It's all adjustable depending on what you use, how cheap you get it, how many extras you want...etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shooter Magavin, thanks for your detailed reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. So .25 to .30 per round, not including brass? To be honest I'm surprised it's that much, considering that I can buy Speer Lawman FMJ rounds from Target Sports for .29 per round with free shipping when ordered by the case:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spe...25-grain-total-metal-jacket-53919-p-1096.aspx

I'm sure you must get great benefits from reloading, such as the ability to customize loads to get just what you like. And being a woodworker, I know that I can sometimes buy a finished piece for about the same as it costs me to build it from rough lumber myself, but I still build it for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the process. Would that be a proper comparison?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shooter Magavin, thanks for your detailed reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. So .25 to .30 per round, not including brass? To be honest I'm surprised it's that much, considering that I can buy Speer Lawman FMJ rounds from Target Sports for .29 per round with free shipping when ordered by the case:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spe...25-grain-total-metal-jacket-53919-p-1096.aspx

I'm sure you must get great benefits from reloading, such as the ability to customize loads to get just what you like. And being a woodworker, I know that I can sometimes buy a finished piece for about the same as it costs me to build it from rough lumber myself, but I still build it for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the process. Would that be a proper comparison?
I'm sure you could get it lower than that. The most expensive component of the reloaded cartridge is the projectile. If you cast your own and don't mind shooting lead, you can get it down to maybe 10 cents a round. But using manufactured jacketed bullets, it adds to the cost. Plated is a viable option, they are more like 13 cents a bullet so that would put it at 19c per round. So $190 per thousand rounds loaded the way you want, different weights and velocities. It has its advantages. If you can get quality 357 SIG for 29 cents shipped, thats what I'd do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks again for such an honest, informative response!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are willing to buy in bulk (3750 bullets), you can get it down to around 17 cents a round with jacketed bullets (without the cost of brass).

357 Sig 125gr FMJ Bullets

5% off for the holiday gets you to under 11 cents for jacketed bullets.
They also have once fired brass for around 6 cents a round.

Powder in 8LB containers will get you to $20 per pound.

So 3 cents primer + 3 cents powder + 11 cents bullets = 17 cents a round.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you are willing to buy in bulk (3750 bullets), you can get it down to around 17 cents a round with jacketed bullets (without the cost of brass).

357 Sig 125gr FMJ Bullets

5% off for the holiday gets you to under 11 cents for jacketed bullets.
They also have once fired brass for around 6 cents a round.

Powder in 8LB containers will get you to $20 per pound.

So 3 cents primer + 3 cents powder + 11 cents bullets = 17 cents a round.
That seems more like it. About the same as reloading jacketed bullets in other calibers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have .357 conversion kits for my P320 full, carry, compact and sub compact. For the most part, the P320 handles the hotter round very well. The exception is the sub compact. I had to add a pinky base plate mag extension to get a third finger on the grip. Set up that way, I find the .357 sub compact to be manageable although I can feel it in my wrist after a hundred rounds or so.

Overall, I like the .357 round in the P320 and would shoot it more if it weren't for the price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.