SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
If it has a cutout for it, probably not hard at all, but if it isn't cut for it...probably pretty difficult, or at least expensive.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
On the frame opposite the current safety.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
If it has a cutout for it, probably not hard at all, but if it isn't cut for it...probably pretty difficult, or at least expensive.
It's not the frame that's cut? Frames are same for single or ambi safeties.
Grip will need to be notched out for it and the part itself will need to be fitted to the internals. I've removed ambis from several of my guns and replaced them with a single sided safety. Frame is the same either way on the 1911s I've seen and owned. Unless Sig uses a proprietary frame that is I don't see the need to mod the frame?

·
🎖USN Veteran
6,816 Posts
I picked this one up for my Sig 1911 Compact Nitron. The price was right and I believe they also have them in white (silver). After watching a couple of videos on installation I decided it was better left to a professional. I took mine to a local gunsmith and he installed it for $20. No modification is necessary for the grip panel and this one comes with all the necessary parts. I have some pics of mine in the 1911 section here:http://sigtalk.com/1911-pistols/53961-sig-1911-photo-thread-6.html

Sig Sauer 1911 Ambidextrous Safety Set, Black

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used the Kimber ambi safety - it's held captive by the hammer pin and doesn't have the thin bit that goes behind the grip panel. Took a few swipes of a file to get the fitment right and then it was good to go.

BUT if I had known the SIG part linked above was so readily available (and cheap!) I absolutely would have gone that way instead! Heck you could pay a gunsmith to do the install and still be ahead, price-wise, of a lot of the ambis available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.