SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this the other day that some barrels are marked 9x19 and others are marked 9mm Para. I know they are different names for the same cartridge but it just seems odd to me that Sig is not consistent with the markings. Is it a mixture of German and US made parts I wonder?

·
Registered
19,501 Posts
So Sig doesn't make their own barrels? That's whacked.
Who does if they don't?
Not sure I can think of any other maker who doesn't make their own tubes?
SIG Germany used to make their own barrels. Lots of things are different now that SIG USA is the only manufacturer of SIG guns for US consumption.

I think SIG Germany also makes the Legacy slide (short extractor) exclusively for their guns.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would not think it unusual for some parts to be subbed out to others. They do for magazines, grips, parts that may need more specific equipment, etc.

Maybe it is different for rifles, but I know Windham Weaponry, who really is the original Bushmaster has all of their rifle barrels made by an outside supplier. The name escapes me right now but the supplier is well known for high quality manufacturing. Windham outsources the barrel manufacturing, then receives and does the finish work on the barrels themselves. It is more cost effective.

I am not saying SIG does have others make the barrels, but I do not see a problem with it if someone else can handle the manufacturing of something like that and do it more cost effective then SIG can and has any specialized equipment investment.

Colt outsourced all of the parts of their AR-15's including those fulfilling the government contract. All Colt did was assemble the parts. I was told that by folks from Academi during an armorers course, (formerly known as Blackwater) who did a lot of testing for Colt. Don't most auto makers do the same with most of their parts?

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I would not think it unusual for some parts to be subbed out to others. They do for magazines, grips, parts that may need more specific equipment, etc.

Maybe it is different for rifles, but I know Windham Weaponry, who really is the original Bushmaster has all of their rifle barrels made by an outside supplier. The name escapes me right now but the supplier is well known for high quality manufacturing. Windham outsources the barrel manufacturing, then receives and does the finish work on the barrels themselves. It is more cost effective.

I am not saying SIG does have others make the barrels, but I do not see a problem with it if someone else can handle the manufacturing of something like that and do it more cost effective then SIG can and has any specialized equipment investment.

Colt outsourced all of the parts of their AR-15's including those fulfilling the government contract. All Colt did was assemble the parts. I was told that by folks from Academi during an armorers course, (formerly known as Blackwater) who did a lot of testing for Colt. Don't most auto makers do the same with most of their parts?
And this is probably partly why Colt is failing. QC would seem to suffer if you have others make parts that you should be doing yourself.
Even my $250 Henry lever action .22 is made 100% by them in house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, Windham is a lower quality maker, as is bushmaster. BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, FN, ect make their own barrels. The Colt expanse line is reportedly outsourced, like the current SAA pistols. Colt goes bankrupt every few years, it's their modus operandi.

Most AR "manufactures" are smaller companies that assemble parts sourced from other manufacturers. This isn't necessarily bad, so long as the company is performing adequate quality assurance on their parts, and assembling them properly.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
There is no reason that a manufacturer can't build a high quality firearm while outsourcing components. In a way, they may be able to assemble a better gun- the manufacturer can give greater attention to fewer parts, and their suppliers are doing the same thing. When the manufacturer has too many fires burning at one time, something will get missed or compromised. Divide and conquer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So Sig doesn't make their own barrels? That's whacked.
Who does if they don't?
Not sure I can think of any other maker who doesn't make their own tubes?
Kart makes the barrels for all of Les’ Baer Custom 1911’s. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't have a problem with outsourcing. But typically I think that the original manufacturer would take the specifications to the builders and it would be made to spec. Including the stamping on the barrel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
And I'll give you $100 bucks if you can get that in writing with Les' signature on it. :rolleyes:
Something many know that he will never admit to.
No secret at all.

A.H. did an interview with Les within the last year or two.

It was noted within that article that Kart has always made barrels “to his spec’s” for Baer Custom 1911’s.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If any part is going to be outsourced on a gun it is going to be the barrels.

Barrel making is a specialized craft with specific machinery required to do so.

·
Registered
414 Posts
SIG Germany used to make their own barrels. Lots of things are different now that SIG USA is the only manufacturer of SIG guns for US consumption.

I think SIG Germany also makes the Legacy slide (short extractor) exclusively for their guns.
Related question. Why is their an import ban on sigs?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts