SIG Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be rotating my 3 P Series pistols (Mk25, P229 Extreme, and M11-A1) in and out of my vehicle (FJ Cruiser) throughout the year (every 2-3 months) from now on. I use Liquid Froglube for CLP for my lubrication! Here in Denver, Colorado our annual temperatures range from 102 on the high end and -25 on the low end. On an average daytime temperatures are ranging from 45-85.

I want to know if this should be an issue with the aluminum frames and internal compnents in this diverse temperature range? Luckily, it isn't a very humid environment.

·
Registered
481 Posts
On one of those 102 degree days, the temperature inside a vehicle parked in the sun probably gets close to 180 degrees. I'm pretty sure a Glock frame will take 250 degrees. It actually might even be closer to 400 but you might verify that. Either way your Sig should be fine.

I haven't seen temperatures much lower than 15 or 20 below zero but I don't see how that would be an issue as far as the pistol itself. Might possibly cause problems for function if your lube thickens enough to affect cycling.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
The Froglube might be a problem, but the temperatures won't.

I use synthetic grease that has a Wide Operating Temperature Range: -65° to 350°F when I'm in excessive cold. I've used it down to -40 degrees in Alaska.

For heat, I'm sure vehicles do get around 150 degrees or so here in the summer and it doesn't hurt them a bit.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
P-series SIGs are combat pistols that have seen every theater and climate the world has to offer. Yours will do just fine in CO regardless of season.

I have no experience with Froglube though, and I agree with Ray and Flash that you may need to adjust your lube strategy.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I travel all over the country for extended jobs and have never seen an issue. I've run my MK25's at -24F and right out of a 150F car and had no problem. I run weapons shield grease and now Slide Glide in one of them, no problems. Slip 2000 also makes some outstanding lubes, use them in my AR's just don't have it in my pistol kits.
I believe the MK25 truly lives up to the Sig slogan, "To Hell and Back Reliability"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts