SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi !!
i am very new to sig pistols and i just bought a P250 yesterday in .380
i was thinking about buying the x change kit for 9mm, but i´m really confused with the size of my pistol since the didn´t told me anything about it at the gun shop.
it came with 3 15 rounds magazines.
is there any way I could tell if my gun is compact or subcompact before i buy the x-change kit ? i am a little scared about this because it´s a huge investment for me.
Thank you very much for the help !!

·
Registered
915 Posts
are you sure it's 15 rounds of .380?

P250
Feed system

Full Size:
17 rounds (9×19mm)
14 rounds (.357 SIG, .40 S&W)
10 rounds (.45 ACP)

Compact:
15 rounds (9×19mm)
13 rounds (.357 SIG, .40 S&W)
9 rounds (.45 ACP)

Subcompact:
12 rounds (9×19mm, .380 ACP)
10 rounds (.40 S&W)
6 rounds (.45 ACP)

·
Registered
549 Posts
With 15 round mags, it is probably a Compact.

You should be able to either look at the grip or the box. C denotes Compact. SC denotes Subcompact.

Either way, the point is moot. The specifics of your current setup have no implications for you when selecting an exchange kit. Whether you have a Compact or Subcompact only refers to the slide, barrel, grip modules, mags, etc. All of the Fire Control Units (FCUs) are the same. The FCU is part that you will take out and insert into your new exchange kit. Again the FCU does not have a Compact or Subcompact designation. You could even buy a Full Size exchange kit if you wanted and would have no problems.

If it is still unclear which you have, feel free to post a pic. But again, this is no matter for your choosing a specific exchange kit.

Also, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase. Those P250s in .380 are fairly rare at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With 15 round mags, it is probably a Compact.

You should be able to either look at the grip or the box. C denotes Compact. SC denotes Subcompact.

Either way, the point is moot. The specifics of your current setup have no implications for you when selecting an exchange kit. Whether you have a Compact or Subcompact only refers to the slide, barrel, grip modules, mags, etc. All of the Fire Control Units (FCUs) are the same. The FCU is part that you will take out and insert into your new exchange kit. Again the FCU does not have a Compact or Subcompact designation. You could even buy a Full Size exchange kit if you wanted and would have no problems.

If it is still unclear which you have, feel free to post a pic. But again, this is no matter for your choosing a specific exchange kit.

Also, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase. Those P250s in .380 are fairly rare at this point.
Thank you very much !!!
I just posted some pictures, maybe they can help

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice looking piece. Even has an updated slide catch lever. Also appears to be a new serial number. Probably is not the original FCU, but that is just me guessing.

Well, it does not appear to be a subcompact because it does not have a rounded off trigger guard. But it does not appear to be a Compact either. The Compact has one more rail slot. I suppose it could be a modified grip module. Idk. Maybe someone more familiar with the .380 can give a better answer. I recall someone say a few days ago that the .380 modules were slightly different than others.

Can you show the other side of the mag? And the sticker on the box?

·
Registered
861 Posts
is there any way I could tell if my gun is compact or subcompact before i buy the x-change kit ?
Congratulations on your new P250 .380.

You did buy what SIG calls a .380 Compact, but it is different from other P250 Compacts. The Compact specifications page from the P250 Owners Manual shows that Compacts are 7.2" long -except the .380 version is 6.7" long- and Compact barrels are 3.86" long - except the .380 version is 3.55" long.

In short, the .380 Compact has a Subcompact barrel and slide mated with a Compact grip module that the factory has reduced the length of the dust cover. You could think of it as a subcompact with a rail, a longer grip, and extended capacity.

I really like the .380 Compact. I can use the modified Compact grip module and have 15 rounds available in a package that is extremely comfortable to shoot or I can use a Subcompact grip module and still have 12 rounds available in a very manageable and more concealable package.

My .380's original FCU also has a 57C serial number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations on your new P250 .380.

You did buy what SIG calls a .380 Compact, but it is different from other P250 Compacts. The Compact specifications page from the P250 Owners Manual shows that Compacts are 7.2" long -except the .380 version is 6.7" long- and Compact barrels are 3.86" long - except the .380 version is 3.55" long.

In short, the .380 Compact has a Subcompact barrel and slide mated with a Compact grip module that the factory has reduced the length of the dust cover. You could think of it as a subcompact with a rail, a longer grip, and extended capacity.

I really like the .380 Compact. I can use the modified Compact grip module and have 15 rounds available in a package that is extremely comfortable to shoot or I can use a Subcompact grip module and still have 12 rounds available in a very manageable and more concealable package.

My .380's original FCU also has a 57C serial number.

Thank you very much for the info !!
So should i buy the x-change kit for 9mm in subcompact ? since the barrel and the slide are subcompact ?

or do i need tu purchase another grip module in order to make the 9mm conversion ??

i took some pictures of the FCU, maybe they can be helpfull:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thank you very much for the info !!
So should i buy the x-change kit for 9mm in subcompact ? since the barrel and the slide are subcompact ?

or do i need tu purchase another grip module in order to make the 9mm conversion ??
Please see my previous comment. There is only one FCU design. Yours looks like everyone else's. You can get whichever exchange kit you want.

The exchange kits all come with a slide, barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, grip module, and a magazine or two.

I would encourage you to review the current exchange kits on the market to get a better understanding. I think seeing pictures would definitely help you.

It does not matter what you have right now. You can get a Subcompact exchange kit, a Compact exchange kit, a Carry exchange kit, or even a Full Size exchange kit. All of them will work.

So the answer is get whichever one you want. My vote would be a Carry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please see my previous comment. There is only one FCU design. Yours looks like everyone else's. You can get whichever exchange kit you want.

The exchange kits all come with a slide, barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, grip module, and a magazine or two.

I would encourage you to review the current exchange kits on the market to get a better understanding. I think seeing pictures would definitely help you.

I does not matter what you have right now. You can get a Subcompact exchange kit, a Compact exchange kit, a Carry exchange kit, or even a Full Size exchange kit. All of them will work.

So the answer is get whichever one you want. My vote would be a Carry.
Sorry, i think i wasn´t able to explain myself (i´m not a native speaker :))
if i wanted to keep the grip module i have right now, but only change the my gun´s caliber, what size do i need ??
than you very much for your patience, i really appreciate it

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sorry, i think i wasn´t able to explain myself (i´m not a native speaker :))
if i wanted to keep the grip module i have right now, but only change the my gun´s caliber, what size do i need ??
than you very much for your patience, i really appreciate it
No worries! I am glad to help! :)

Ahhh, now I understand your question. There are two answers - one is simple and the other is complicated.

The simple answer is that you can still get which ever exchange kit you want.

Before I give you the complicated answer, let me ask you a few questions to make it easier. Then I can provide some information and pictures that will help.

Are you looking to buy an entire exchange kit? Or just specific parts?

The exchange kits all come with appropriate grip modules. Is there a specific reason you want to keep your current grip module?

What is your desired mag capacity?

What about weight? Are you wanting to keep your 9mm as close to the weight of your current gun as possible?

Again, I am happy to help. I just want to get an idea of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is a complicated answer because the Subcompact slide will fit perfectly on your grip module but the 12 round subcompact mags will not fit at all.

On the other hand, the Compact mags will fit perfectly into your grip module, but the slide will overextend a bit.

Again, my vote would be a Carry exchange kit, but it really depends on what you are looking for. Depending on your answers to those questions, I am sure we can figure out which configuration will be best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No worries! I am glad to help! :)

Ahhh, now I understand your question. There are two answers - one is simple and the other is complicated.

The simple answer is that you can still get which ever exchange kit you want.

Before I give you the complicated answer, let me ask you a few questions to make it easier. Then I can provide some information and pictures that will help.

Are you looking to buy an entire exchange kit? Or just specific parts?

The exchange kits all come with appropriate grip modules. Is there a specific reason you want to keep your current grip module?

What is your desired mag capacity?

What about weight? Are you wanting to keep your 9mm as close to the weight of your current gun as possible?

Again, I am happy to help. I just want to get an idea of what you are looking for.
I was looking to buy only the slide, barrel, recoil spring, guide and magazine.
I wanted to keep the grip module so it would be easier to change from one caliber to another, since i only wanted to use 9mm at the range for more fun.
i am very happy with how the gun is in .380 right now for carry
but for the 9mm i dont really want a specific weigth or mag capacity, i just want to be able to shoot 9mm at the range without having change the whole grip module.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wanted to keep the grip module so it would be easier to change from one caliber to another, since i only wanted to use 9mm at the range for more fun.
but for the 9mm i dont really want a specific weigth or mag capacity, i just want to be able to shoot 9mm at the range without having change the whole grip module.
You like your .380 grip module.
You want to keep your FCU in the .380 grip module.
You only want to change the top end (slide,barrel, recoil spring and guide) and magazine.

So .....

A Subcompact 9mm top end will be as long as your grip module; you will need 15-round magazines.

A Compact 9mm top end will be a tiny bit longer than your grip module; you will still need 15-round magazines.

The photos below show how much longer a Compact slide would be than your grip module.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I see. Well that really helps narrow things down. That is how I like to do mine too - just change the slide.

Well, you have several different options. Since you plan to buy the slide and mag separately, it makes it easier. You can mix and match. Remember any slide will work with any mag.

First, lets get the mags out of the way since they are easy. No matter which slide you decide to get, you will need at least a 15 round mag. Your current grip module is built for Compact mags. Warning: the Subcompact kits usually come with 12 round mags - these are too short to fit. You can also get 17 round mags and 21 round mags and use an x-grip adapter to fill the space, since these are longer than your grip module. See pics below.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun

Now lets talk about slide.

The Subcompact slide will fit perfectly in line with your grip module. So if having a flush fit is important, then go with that.

Your other option is to do a "long slide" approach and get a Compact/Carry slide, and whatever mag you want. The Compact and Carry slides are the same. They will both extend a little bit beyond the grip module. But that is just a visual thing. It has no effect on function. It will like the pic below.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

If you want to get really different then you can do a full size slide and it will look something like this. Not exactly, but you get the idea.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Starting pistol

Hope this helps! lol. So what's it gonna be?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.