SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
So far I have run only SIG Elite 10mm through mine. Petty hot stuff, although not quite as hot as some. I would think it would handle pretty much whatever job needs to be done within reason.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
No problems for me running Buffalo Bore 220 grain "Heavy". Manages recoil quite nicely. Pretty expensive, though. I really just tried some (150 rounds) out of curiosity. I don't routinely shoot it--couldn't afford to do it very often. As for reliability, 100% of the 150 I shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Underwood 155gr FMJ (1500fps @ 774ftlbs) is the hottest I've found. I'm happy running Underwood 115gr Xtreme Defender for my "woods" load (1700fps @ 738ftlbs). Probably not good as a daily dosage using either, but I would have no fear running through a box during a range trip. I know my G21 conversion can do it, if that plastic will hold up, the Sig frame will do just fine.

Sig FMJ is my preferred practice loading for 10mm, it's hasn't been dulled down like most brands.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not sure what is driving your question. The only reason I would be looking at 10mm would be for hunting. If that is the case, then over penetration is not an issue.

The P220 is a strong reliable gun, but if you are going to feed it a steady diet of hot loads it will likely show wear more quickly.

Are you looking at the SAO P220 hunter?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The why really has nothing to do with the question guys. But if you must know, I'm looking for a woods gun for big critters. I don't especially love revolvers and would prefer a semi-auto. I currently have a G21 with .45 Super 255 hardcast bullets in it. I'd like a purpose built heavier hitting semi-auto. If I can find rounds that compare favorably with what I have now and will work well in a P220 it would be nice to have a Sig strapped to my chest.

.45 Super from what I've read has not been tried by anyone in a P220 and everyone is dead set against it. And I don't feel like being the guinea pig. Although if the barrel is as strong as what is available for Glocks and has or one can be found with full case support I don't see why it couldn't be made to work. Another option I'm considering is a 1911 setup to function with .45 Super or .460 Rowland. But again I'd kinda rather have a Sig.

So my question is still the same what can a P220 in 10mm handle?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The why really has nothing to do with the question guys. But if you must know, I'm looking for a woods gun for big critters. I don't especially love revolvers and would prefer a semi-auto. I currently have a G21 with .45 Super 255 hardcast bullets in it. I'd like a purpose built heavier hitting semi-auto. If I can find rounds that compare favorably with what I have now and will work well in a P220 it would be nice to have a Sig strapped to my chest.

.45 Super from what I've read has not been tried by anyone in a P220 and everyone is dead set against it. And I don't feel like being the guinea pig. Although if the barrel is as strong as what is available for Glocks and has or one can be found with full case support I don't see why it couldn't be made to work. Another option I'm considering is a 1911 setup to function with .45 Super or .460 Rowland. But again I'd kinda rather have a Sig.

Sounds like you may be interested in reloads rather than factory ammo. You may want to ask in the ammo and reloading forum also. Someone over there may have worked up some hot 10mm loads.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Sandaholic Big critters ?? Rabid beavers maybe ?? The 10mm can't play with a 45 super when it comes to heavy loads and when using a heavy for cartridge hardcast bullets the super or hot 10mm loads are not needed as a regular hardcaste will get the job done at lower velocity levels so you already have a better dangerous game set up not and in a do0uble stack !!

I spent a lot of my younger years hunting hogs and can till you a 180gr hard cast from a 357mag at 1400fps does nothing better than the same bullet 1180fps . Both may pass thru a 250lber head to hip area . A black bear shot in chest area most likely will pass threw .
Those slower loads are far faster to shoot and control bullet placement too .

For a woods gun why would you want a lesser limited cap pistol that also heavier . I my 46 years of hunting and being around a lot of bears in Florida's swamps I only shoot a couple when hunting not because I was concern about my safety .

Only your worried about anthing other than a grizzly a regular 10mm is more than enough in a 180gr hp . carry BEAR SPRAY for the grizzly .

In NC now I carry my 40sw in the woods as a back up to my rifle more as a finisher if needed .

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
The P220 10mm is built very strong and can handle full 10mm spec loads.
Don't worry a bit about running true, hot 10mm loads in that gun.

Reactions: Armymark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sandaholic, buy a 10mm conversion barrel and 20lb recoil spring for your G21,bthats what I did, flawless and IF you happen to loose it in the woods, you're only out half of what a P220 Hunter would cost. Plus it holds more rounds...

·
Registered
275 Posts

Sandy, I carry my P220 10MM DA/SA almost daily here in Alaska. I shoot a box of the BB 220 Heavy ammo often and a bunch of my Hot reloads. No issues at all. No signs of abnormal wear. Solid gun that will last with Heavy 10MM. I carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice Chest Holster. In my opinion there is no better choice so I say, no reason to hesitate.

Mark

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sandy, I carry my P220 10MM DA/SA almost daily here in Alaska. I shoot a box of the BB 220 Heavy ammo often and a bunch of my Hot reloads. No issues at all. No signs of abnormal wear. Solid gun that will last with Heavy 10MM. I carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice Chest Holster. In my opinion there is no better choice so I say, no reason to hesitate.

Mark
I think that pretty much settles it. Nothing like a guy who lives it and does it every day to clear it up!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Slightly off 10mm subject, but when I worked for the government, and carried the Sig P220 .45acp. We practiced with Israeli TZZ ammo. Very hot stuff. We rarely had a breakdown.
I mention this in response to the op question. The P220 is a very stout pistol. And I believe Sig put in a very reliable handgun. Just like the P229 and the .40s&w. They know what they are doing. I also have a Kimber Eclipse in 10mm and .45acp, the TZZ ammo in .45acp is similar in recoil.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hottest stuff I ever used was the Underwood 135 gr (Nosler bullet) load. Actually pretty much anything from Underwood or Buffalo Bore are suped up. If I go into Black Bear country I take bear spray and load up a G29 15 round magazine with BB 220 grain HCFP (Underwood sells something similar).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well thanks for the replies. I'm going to see how the new Storm Lake barrel does in my G21 with .45 Super. If it doesn't pan out then the P220 in 10mm is officially on the table!

Edit: To follow up the SL Barrel in my G21 works great and the overall setup is perfect so I'm out of the hunt for a 10mm at this time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.