SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a retired military guy of 24 years infantry. Have shot and carried a good number of weapons while I was in.

Been out now for 20+ years and am attempting at broadening my shooting skills. In the Corps, my very first intro to weapons, we were always taught to close the non-aiming eye while shooting.

I notice that most competition shooters shoot with both eyes open. I'd love to learn and become proficient with this skill. Any suggestions as to getting started, practice, drills etc?

I carry daily and I've often thought that if ever in a situation where I need to draw and shoot, would I have time to "aim?" Thanks in advance.

· Registered
483 Posts
I shoot with both eyes open but I'm extremely right eye dominant so even with both eyes open the majority of my focus is on the sights through my dominant eye. Having the other eye open gives me a bigger picture of everything going on around me and (for lack of a better description) helps me quickly identify my next target.

Not sure I have any advice or tips. You might just have to experiment and see what does or doesn't work for you.

· Registered
632 Posts
I've tried both eyes open, and while I admit I can be accurate in doing so, I find it takes me an extra second or so to get on target. Maybe it is just me, but I am noticeably faster with keeping the non-aiming eye closed.

Practice at home with just aiming at a point on the wall -- you don't have to go to the range to decide.

Reactions: tawcat

· 🎖USAF Veteran
3,247 Posts
Practice at home with just aiming at a point on the wall -- you don't have to go to the range to decide.
Good thought. Extend your arm as if you were holding a pistol, close your shooting fist and point your thumb straight up. Now line up your thumb with something across the room and see how it feels with both eyes open and with one closed.

· Registered
550 Posts
tawcat Thank you for your service.

The above replies cover what your asking pretty well and with dry fire practice you should be able to master the both eyes open shooting method it may take a while though.

· Registered
11,371 Posts
When I shoot a handgun, I close my non-dominate eye.

But, when I use my shotgun for TRAP shooting, I was trained, many years ago, to keep both eyes open when firing, because you are shooting at a moving target.

I still find it hard to do, cause when we aim at anything, one eye usually is closed.

· Registered
18,006 Posts
When I shoot anything, I do it with both eyes open and firmly believe it's a bad idea to essentially create a blind spot on one side, however briefly.

Practice a bit and I think you'll find it comes easily unless your dominant eye is different from your dominant hand/arm.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
I'm a retired military guy of 24 years infantry. Have shot and carried a good number of weapons while I was in.

Been out now for 20+ years and am attempting at broadening my shooting skills. In the Corps, my very first intro to weapons, we were always taught to close the non-aiming eye while shooting.

I notice that most competition shooters shoot with both eyes open. I'd love to learn and become proficient with this skill. Any suggestions as to getting started, practice, drills etc?

I carry daily and I've often thought that if ever in a situation where I need to draw and shoot, would I have time to "aim?" Thanks in advance.
Been there, went through the same... back then it was "marksmanship" fundamentals, in the Corps and the KD Range for Rifle, and 25/50 yard Pistol Qualification. It wasn't until a few years later, in the Army, that I was exposed to their form of qualification... knock downs out to 300... with the rifle, never really knowing where you were hitting, and the pistol qualification, a little more realistic, with more combat orientation, two handed combat stance, less one hand 6 o'clock hold @25, center mass at 50.

Anyway, you still have gained the knowledge and practiced the fundamentals for years. You still focus on the front sight, blur the rear and the target, but you keep your non-dominate eye open for detection, of other possible targets.

You know the drill, the only way to proficiency, is practice!

· Registered
550 Posts
I'm nearsighted and for decades have been wearing contact lenses but about a dozen years ago at the urging of my optometrist I started doing mono-vision wearing a contact lens in just my dominate eye (right) which allowed me to do away with the need to carry reading glass for close up because my non dominate eye takes care of that without the vision corrected for distance.
I now find myself shooting with my left non dominate eye more than my right eye so I think I'm going to start trying both open regularly, I've tried it a few times in the past but never stuck with it.

Reactions: asdfzxcv

· Registered
18,006 Posts
I'm nearsighted and for decades have been wearing contact lenses but about a dozen years ago at the urging of my optometrist I started doing mono-vision wearing a contact lens in just my dominate eye (right) which allowed me to do away with the need to carry reading glass for close up because my non dominate eye takes care of that without the vision corrected for distance.
I now find myself shooting with my left non dominate eye more than my right eye so I think I'm going to start trying both open regularly, I've tried it a few times in the past but never stuck with it.
Congratulations on your good judgment regarding mono-vision. Mrs. Flash and I have been doing it for around 30 years at this point and it works great.

Contrary to public opinion, you can do it just as well with eyeglasses if you ever feel the need to go that way.

The fact is that with mono-vision, you have the option of shooting with your far vision eye and having both the front and rear sights fuzzy, but the target even fuzzier if you focus on the front sight or, you can shoot with your near vision eye and have the front and rear sights clear and the target fuzzy.

Your choice.

It's also perfect for eliminating the problem of having to shoot right handed and being left eye dominant or vice versa if you're in that position.

· Registered
550 Posts
You guys, as usual, are doing it all wrong. I close both eyes. Makes it easier to claim later that you hit what you may have been aiming at.
I'll get 25 round mags for all my guns so I can practice with both eyes closed it's called "Pray & Spray" shooting.

· Registered
504 Posts
As hard as it is to take a knee you might try taking a handgun class. I took one local to me a few years ago, as I wanted to get into competitive shooting, but could have used a few skills better honed. First 10 min of the class, instructor found I was left eye dominant while being a right handed shooter.

That's where I learned to shoot with both eyes open, before I was using my right eye, making everything hit off center, I run my 226 TAC ops in uspsa, for the longer shots, I still close my right eye as its easier for me to focus on the front sight. I also tilt my head when I do to get my left eye more inline

Practice practice practice, find what works for you. Also IMO a good set of sights that really stand out helps also

· Registered
1,598 Posts
An expensive option, but the easiest way to learn to shoot with both eyes open is get a handgun with a red dot. For accuracy, I still close my left eye when shooting. However, in fast drills, I keep both eyes open. What helps is if you master your shooting position. Close your eyes and draw your unloaded firearm. Open your eyes and see if your sights are aligned. Keep practicing so your body always draws to the exact same position with the sights aligned. Finally, practice some bench rest shooting, where you are just isolating the vision part of your shooting and not worrying about a shaky hand. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.