SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During the process of re-springing some used matte finished Mec-Gar mags, I thought I'd try the "baked on" Rust-O-Leum Epoxy Appliance Paint trick I'd read about on a couple of them.

Man, am I glad I did. I started with two at a time, and worked my way up to doing all the ones I had. I have to say, they look great and the finish came out very smooth, hard and scratch resistant, almost like a ceramic coating. I like them better than the original finish!

The process I used was this:

- Disassembled the mag, cleaned and de-greased the inside and outside with acetone.
- Used a few ripped slices of a 2x4 which fit up the bottom corner to corner and hold it tight so I could rotate it to get the whole thing during painting.
- Blew off any dust with a can of air
- Shot a single very light coat over the whole mag
- Slipped the painted mag off the stick and right over the pins of my home-made baking rig.
- Put it straight into the over and cooked them at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Removed the rack and let the mag bodies cool.

The "baking rig"...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, They do look great.

Please describe your " home-made baking rig" if you would be so kind. I'm always looking for new cure oven ideas.
Basically just a couple of 90 degree braces, a couple of nuts and bolts to hold them together and a piece of threaded rod tightened to them. I used the coupling to hold the rod to the vertical part because I had a handful close by at the time.

So what else have you oven-cured? I'd like to try more.

馃帠USA Veteran Premium Member
They do look good. I always sand any new ones I get until the just fly out. Glad the are smooth.

Registered
They look terrific.

Registered
Basically just a couple of 90 degree braces, a couple of nuts and bolts to hold them together and a piece of threaded rod tightened to them. I used the coupling to hold the rod to the vertical part because I had a handful close by at the time.

So what else have you oven-cured? I'd like to try more.
Oh...OK. Just misunderstood your post. I thought you made a homemade oven. My bad. I see your rig in the picture.

I use heat cure Cerakote quite a bit. But a standard household convection oven limits my part length to about 19". There is more room but trying to maneuver a large, freshly cerakoted part is almost impossible because the finish is so delicate prior to the cure. It WILL bump up against something no matter how careful you are.

I like the setup though. When I do Magazines, I use silicone plugs. I wedge them into the mag and screw a sheetmetal screw into the silicone and just rap a wire around the screw and hang them in the oven.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh...OK. Just misunderstood your post. I thought you made a homemade oven. My bad. I see your rig in the picture.

I use heat cure Cerakote quite a bit. But a standard household convection oven limits my part length to about 19". There is more room but trying to maneuver a large, freshly cerakoted part is almost impossible because the finish is so delicate prior to the cure. It WILL bump up against something no matter how careful you are.
Yeah, I could see that. We're about two weeks from tearing out our old kitchen, so I might move the old electric oven to the garage for some fun. I have a few mags I might do and maybe a pistol frame if I get brave.

Do you have a link to the product and process for the Cerakote?

Registered
Yeah, I could see that. We're about two weeks from tearing out our old kitchen, so I might move the old electric oven to the garage for some fun. I have a few mags I might do and maybe a pistol frame if I get brave.

Do you have a link to the product and process for the Cerakote?

NIC Industries.
https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

This is the link to the Application giude download pdf.

Cerakote ELITE and H-Series Application Guide

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/downloads/

Registered
Oven Too Small For Stove

I have always wanted to try that painting trick. I have never figured out how to get the stove inside the oven after painting the outside. There is one P229 frame that needs some touching up that will sit right on top of a piece of toast. :)

How do they get the appliance to fit inside an oven?

Registered
During the process of re-springing some used matte finished Mec-Gar mags, I thought I'd try the "baked on" Rust-O-Leum Epoxy Appliance Paint trick I'd read about on a couple of them.

Man, am I glad I did. I started with two at a time, and worked my way up to doing all the ones I had. I have to say, they look great and the finish came out very smooth, hard and scratch resistant, almost like a ceramic coating. I like them better than the original finish!

The process I used was this:

- Disassembled the mag, cleaned and de-greased the inside and outside with acetone.
- Used a few ripped slices of a 2x4 which fit up the bottom corner to corner and hold it tight so I could rotate it to get the whole thing during painting.
- Blew off any dust with a can of air
- Shot a single very light coat over the whole mag
- Slipped the painted mag off the stick and right over the pins of my home-made baking rig.
- Put it straight into the over and cooked them at 425 for 45 minutes.
- Removed the rack and let the mag bodies cool.

The "baking rig"...

Let us know how the paint holds up going in and out of the mag well.

Resident Armorer Premium Member

I like the setup though. When I do Magazines, I use silicone plugs. I wedge them into the mag and screw a sheetmetal screw into the silicone and just rap a wire around the screw and hang them in the oven.
For a "larger oven", I've seen where people have set an empty blueing tank, with a cover, on a hot plate. Suspend parts from rods crossing tank, which raises cover, preventing heat build up, and a blueing thermometer in the cover to monitor temperature.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.