SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

HK P30

4K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  yellowlt7 
#1 ·
In the past I've owned an HK P30 in 9mm and just about every flavor of the P30sk (LEM, DA/SA with and without a MS). Very much liked all of them and actually carried the P30sk LEM off-duty for a while, prior to getting the P365.

Decided I wanted to get back into a P30 as I really like hammer-fired pistols and enjoyed the previous one I had in 9mm. A LGS I've dealt with had one on their website that I've been wanting for a while now. A DA/SA with MS in 40 S&W. It's the LE model with night sights and three mags. They didn't have it in stock but said they could get it in 3 to 7 days so I ordered it yesterday. Very much looking forward to getting it.

I like the interchangeable side panels and back strap. Makes for a nice custom fit. I'm a big fan of the paddle release as well and thing it's more functional than the button style.

I'll post it up once it arrives. Have plenty of FMJ to vet it as well as several types of HP's. I'll likely go with the 180g Gold Dot.

The stock photo from the website.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

See less See more
#8 ·
I got the 357sig barrel for my USPc from RCM a well. Great barrel! Very accurate and zero issues. Been very happy with it. I'll be very tempted to get one for the P30 as well.

Real nice @Deputydave. The .40 you ordered is not an SK, correct? Asking b/c I've been interested in acquiring a P30SK in .40 and info from HK's site wasn't wonderfully clear enough for me to validate its existence. Through your FFL convo, did the topic of SK perhaps come up? Thanks!
As Vincent mentioned above, the SK's are 9mm only. It would be nice to have them in 40 S&W but I don't think it's likely, at least not right now.

Reactions: SURVIVOR619
#9 ·
In the past I've owned an HK P30 in 9mm and just about every flavor of the P30sk (LEM, DA/SA with and without a MS). Very much liked all of them and actually carried the P30sk LEM off-duty for a while, prior to getting the P365.

Decided I wanted to get back into a P30 as I really like hammer-fired pistols and enjoyed the previous one I had in 9mm. A LGS I've dealt with had one on their website that I've been wanting for a while now. A DA/SA with MS in 40 S&W. It's the LE model with night sights and three mags. They didn't have it in stock but said they could get it in 3 to 7 days so I ordered it yesterday. Very much looking forward to getting it.

I like the interchangeable side panels and back strap. Makes for a nice custom fit. I'm a big fan of the paddle release as well and thing it's more functional than the button style.

I'll post it up once it arrives. Have plenty of FMJ to vet it as well as several types of HP's. I'll likely go with the 180g Gold Dot.

View attachment 502228
Definitely on my list !

#22 ·
Damn this thread. I have a P30 SK, P30L 9mm, and 2 P30 .40 pistols. All are LEM models and all but one has the Gray Guns short reset kit installed.

I say damn this thread because I was convinced I was going to sell my HKs to help a bit on the recovery. Every time I’d get them out for pictures I’d clear them, then start dry firing and presentations with them. I’d inevitably change my mind and decide to keep them due to their ergonomics and overall bad-assness.

Once I got my first Legion, a P229 that was the icing on the cake. HKs were going on the classifieds. This thread is starting to sway me not to do that.

One struggle I’ve always had is something about brand loyalty. I don’t know why but I have this internal conflict that Sigs and HKs cannot live together in the safe. One must be objectively better than the other and therefore the other must go. That was easy to do when I was into Glocks but I can’t bring myself to get rid of any of my hammer fired Sigs or these P30s right now.

I very well might put my SK back into carry rotation and put my P224 back in the safe for a few.

Enjoy the new pistol Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
One struggle I’ve always had is something about brand loyalty. I don’t know why but I have this internal conflict that Sigs and HKs cannot live together in the safe. One must be objectively better than the other and therefore the other must go. That was easy to do when I was into Glocks but I can’t bring myself to get rid of any of my hammer fired Sigs or these P30s right now.
LMAO… They all put ammo down range and very well. Not better than the other, just different. Keep one, keep all.. matters not. But for the reason you stated.. come on.

#25 ·
I have had a P30 for a while. I changed out the sights to Heine’s, front and rear, which I like better.

One thing I find bothersome on the P30 is the DA trigger. It seems to sit so far forward that you invariably get almost speared with the lower tip. The VP9 trigger solves that issue, but then the VP9 is a striker and the triggers are not interchangeable. There are not, that I can see, aftermarket triggers that would have a different (less forward curve) shape to them. That DA trigger has kept the P30 pretty much a range toy for me. Interestingly, the USP group don’t have that issue.

#26 ·
I know some of the gunsmith engineering team in Oberndorf that obssesses over he design of these and other HK products.

My P30SK (the compact version of this) has the LEM trigger and it shoots much like a striker fired gun with a hammer.

Just don't go looking for the rifling in the barrel. It is, of course, polygonal. It's fun to show this to new students and ask them where the ridges went...

I carry this pistol with their night sights (no optics). A great choice.

Reactions: Deputydave
#28 ·
Congrats!I’ve got a P30S, a VP9 Tactical I recently bought because I wanted an optic cut on an HK and a USP45. The P30 has the most rounds through it, well over 10k. Love the customizable grip feel you get on the P30 and VP9. Always feels like it was made for my hand.

I’ve had a lot of pistols come and go, but I’ve never gotten rid of an HK, there’s too much to like about them for me to ever get rid of one.

#31 ·

View attachment 502228
I had P30SK a number of years ago and stupidly sold it to get something ‘better’. Skip forward to tomorrow morning when I pick another one.

#32 ·

View attachment 502228
Those are absolutely fantastic guns I just really prefer a P-series Sig...

#39 ·
It's a persistent myth that the VP series was designed for civilians. It was originally developed at the request of the Bavarian police as a replacement for the HK P7, not with the civilian market in mind. And it is, to this day, carried by a number of German police units, and others around the world.

Funnily enough, it is not called the 'Volkspistol" anywhere in Europe (or Canada). The "VP" moniker is only used in the U.S. market. Everywhere outside of the U.S. it is called the SFP, which simply stands for 'Striker-Fired Pistol." Volkspistol was marketing for the U.S. market, nothing more, as HK figured that civilians would be a significant part of sales when the pistol was introduced in the States.

#40 ·
It's a persistent myth that the VP series was designed for civilians. It was originally developed at the request of the Bavarian police as a replacement for the HK P7, not with the civilian market in mind. And it is, to this day, carried by a number of German police units, and others around the world.

Funnily enough, it is not called the 'Volkspistol" anywhere in Europe (or Canada). The "VP" moniker is only used in the U.S. market. Everywhere outside of the U.S. market, it is called the SFP, which simply stands for 'Striker-Fired Pistol." Volkspistol was marketing for the U.S. market, nothing more, as HK figured that would be a significant part of the market when the pistol was introduced in the States.
Thank you for saying that MUCH better than I this morning. 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.