SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down about halfway to read about the history of the P229
The story in Wikipedia doesn't exactly match what I have heard about the development of the P229. My understanding of the history of the P229 was that it was specifically designed for the .40 S&W cartridge. Because they wanted to "get it right" they were one of the last gunmakers to have a .40 model (1992). When the .357Sig was introduced later (1994) SIG simply put a .357 barrel in the .40 P229 to have the first pistol for the .357Sig cartridge. Since Sig helped design the .357Sig cartridge, my speculation is they probably used the P229 as a test bed. The 9mm P229 was the last caliber to be introduced in the P229, and I've heard was almost an afterthought. SIG figured out they could quickly have a 9mm P229 by simply putting a newly designed stainless slide on the existing P228 frame. Because the 9mm P229 doesn't even use the original P229 (.40/.357) frame, I think Wiki has the sequence wrong in stating the P229 "was originally introduced to supplement and then replace the P228 by adding the .357 SIG and .40 S&W as available chamberings". But maybe that's just my (mis-)interpretation of that quote.

An interesting side note is that I seem to recall reading in a couple of sources (print gun magazines at the time, not the internet) that the first P229 stainless steel slides were made by Ruger for SIG. I haven't been able to find it since so put that down as just rumor, or urban legend. :lol:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
early adds, note the "made in w germany" on the slide.
The photos look more like photos of prototypes for the article than ads to me. It is also interesting that the P229 looks like it has what appears almost like a short trigger. I've also always thought the .40 P229 frame started out as a P228 one. I wonder if that is really true?

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
I read some that gave me the impression the 229-40 was released about 6 month before the 357sig was announced. I would reason the 357 was fully in mind as they developed the 229 and likely they were designed together. The 40 was what was in demand at the time by LE and that is what the 229 was first out in. Demand had to be built as the 357 was street tested by the public.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,632 Posts
The photos look more like photos of prototypes for the article than ads to me. It is also interesting that the P229 looks like it has what appears almost like a short trigger. I've also always thought the .40 P229 frame started out as a P228 one. I wonder if that is really true?
my '92 triple s/n has the short trigger.

Attachments

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I read some that gave me the impression the 229-40 was released about 6 month before the 357sig was announced. I would reason the 357 was fully in mind as they developed the 229 and likely they were designed together. The 40 was what was in demand at the time by LE and that is what the 229 was first out in. Demand had to be built as the 357 was street tested by the public.
Are you sure about the timing of the .357Sig announcement? According to Massad Ayoob's book The Gun Digest Book of SIG-Sauer A Complete Look At SIG-Sauer Pistols, the .40S&W P229 was introduced in 1992 and the .357Sig P229 was introduced two years later in 1994. That seems like a long time to develop a cartridge and barrel, but I'm no expert.

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Are you sure about the timing of the .357Sig announcement? According to Massad Ayoob's book The Gun Digest Book of SIG-Sauer A Complete Look At SIG-Sauer Pistols, the .40S&W P229 was introduced in 1992 and the .357Sig P229 was introduced two years later in 1994. That seems like a long time to develop a cartridge and barrel, but I'm no expert.
I really don't know. I did read this some time ago. My thought is like the 224 the announcement and the roll out were spread out in time. I have read different times but not definitive. I would never debate Mr Ayoob about anything

By Frank James

The Sig P-229 in .40 S&W caliber was a long time coming. The first prototype was shown to a few writers at the 1991 Shot Show, but Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft, or SIG, unlike some other manufacturers, did not rush its .40 S&W caliber pistol into production. They waited until they were sure they had everything right. And let me tell you the P-229 is a pistol that was worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I really don't know. I did read this some time ago. My thought is like the 224 the announcement and the roll out were spread out in time. I have read different times but not definitive. I would never debate Mr Ayoob about anything

By Frank James

The Sig P-229 in .40 S&W caliber was a long time coming. The first prototype was shown to a few writers at the 1991 Shot Show, but Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft, or SIG, unlike some other manufacturers, did not rush its .40 S&W caliber pistol into production. They waited until they were sure they had everything right. And let me tell you the P-229 is a pistol that was worth the wait.
Funny I was just reading that article on Remtek and thinking about posting it, too, to illustrate long (just 1 year here and this was for the gun) development. I really don't know what really happened, but it just seemed illogical to me that they would co-develop a pistol for a cartridge that they don't announce for another 6 months and take another 18 months to develop. However, since the final .357Sig cartridge is basically a necked down .40S&W case for a .355 bullet, it could be argued that the P229 was developed for both, whether intentionally, or not.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,632 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,164 Posts
Thanks evry one !
So the P228 was the base to design the P229 in 40/357 Sig.
Yes only the folded slide couldn't handle the 40. Then Sig decided to go a little heavier and just a bit bigger on the frame for 40.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
A lot of LEO's are now replacing their .40 because of the increased velocity & better sheet metal/windshield penetration of the 357sig.
True, but to an administrator it's better for liability sake that the round stay within the target. The saying "know your target and beyond", is what they prefer. Operators would certainly like the .357 round as long as they aren't footing the bill. God I hate lawyers....unless I need one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.