SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the highest capacity reliable magazine for a Sig P229 (.40 S&W). As of now, I run 15-round factory Sig P226 magazines in my P229. As expected, they work wonderfully! I have seen a 20-round magazine from ProMag (ProMag Sig Sauer P226 .40 S&W, .357 Sig 20-round Steel Magazine). I am wondering if anyone has experience with this magazine and, if so, would recommend it? Also, I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions for getting more than 15+1 capacity out of a Sig 229? Finally, is there any believe that using a magazine in excess of 15 rounds would unduly wear any of the parts of the gun? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The magazine Ken recommends is the only one I would buy. Check around Top Gun, Greg Cotes or Gun mag warehouse usually has them for $30 or so.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,252 Posts
I am looking for the highest capacity reliable magazine for a Sig P229 (.40 S&W). As of now, I run 15-round factory Sig P226 magazines in my P229. As expected, they work wonderfully! I have seen a 20-round magazine from ProMag (ProMag Sig Sauer P226 .40 S&W, .357 Sig 20-round Steel Magazine). I am wondering if anyone has experience with this magazine and, if so, would recommend it? Also, I am wondering if anyone has other suggestions for getting more than 15+1 capacity out of a Sig 229? Finally, is there any believe that using a magazine in excess of 15 rounds would unduly wear any of the parts of the gun? Thank you!
"AVOID PROMAG" like the plague, they aren't the most reliable, but they are some of the cheapest (including quality)... factory Sig have 14 round or Mec-Gar has 15 round magazines, both which have +2 floorplates which increase their capacity over the standard length magazines.

These magazines won't "harm" your pistol, but after continuous use you will no doubt need to replace the magazine springs, since they will fail to lock the slide back when empty.

Running P226 magazines in a P229 will work, but the magazines will be loose in the magazine well, as the P229 has a different taper from double column to single column feeding...

Reactions: JGKC9AYC

·
Registered
205 Posts
These work well. I've never had any failures of any kind using them. Very reliable and inexpensive/affordable as well.

The magazine Ken recommends is the only one I would buy. Check around Top Gun, Greg Cotes or Gun mag warehouse usually has them for $30 or so.
There is also a factory Sig 14 round magazine that functions perfectly as well. It originally came with the P229 "SCT"(stands for super capacity tactical I believe). It looks slightly different but uses the same baseplate design. I have one I bought year ago and it's always been 100%. They're harder to find, but if you run across one I'd buy without hesitation.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I too wish there are higher capacity mags for 229 40/357. I have seen people commented on 226 extended 15 round 40/357 mags while they will fit into your 229 but they are not as reliable holding the slide back after the last round. I don’t know about that myself but my 229 Mecgar 14 rounders have been flawless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts