SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I need some help finding a scope for my 716. I have had some cheap scopes, like a mid-range Nikon for $800 and some better scopes like a Burris with a zero-stop and other nice features. However, they have all died painful deaths.

It always seems to end the same way. I get the scope mounted, I get it zeroed in, and by the time about 300 rounds go down range, it won't hold zero and I end up with 10 and 15 minute groups. After consulting several manufacturers, the general consensus is the forward recoil from the bolt and piston and what is shaking them apart. An example, after doing a repair for me, Burris said my last scope had the focus ring knocked loose due to forward shock/recoil

Honestly, I have spent a ******** amount of time and money trying to find a high power scope that won't break, with zero luck. I would like to get a scope that will hold together and get me out to 1,000 yards on a man-size target. A 10x won't cut it for me (eyes aren't great), I need something like 18x+. Variable is preferred.

Is there anyone who can specify a brand and model scope that you have or had had on your 716 rifle that has held a zero, even after 1,000 round going down range?

Thanks in advance.

Spaz

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you don't know already, decide what you are willing to spend. I am a huge fan of the Vortex Razor series of optics, but looking at $1400ish and up. I have never had an issue with semi-auto usage or bolt. Both .308. love the lifetime warranty if ever needed.

Night force would be my second choice, but I have very little hands on experience with them. Just a buddy's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go with the Nightforce ATACR. It's only drawback is that it's not a 1st focal plane scope. It has amazing optics and will go to hell and back.

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
Take a look at the Vortex Razor Gen 2 scopes. They have a 3-18 and a 4.5-27x56 which I have on my 338 Lapua. Lifetime no question warranty and built like tanks.
The 4.5-27 goes for $2499 and the 3-18 is less.

The Gen 1 Razor 5-20 is down around $1500 nowadays. Maybe less.

Oh, thes are ffp scopes.

Reactions: marcspaz

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the Vortex and the Razor look to be strong candidates based on all of your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I'm at the point that I almost don't really care about the money. I don't want to pay "new car" prices for a scope... but I am tired of buying scopes. I need something I can count on.

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
The sunshade is 4". Scope tube is 34mm. It's the EBR-2C reticle with red illumination.

·
Retired Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
This is the MOA version. I went that way because my shooting bud and my grandson both use MOA. This simplifies things when shooting together and calling corrections. I could go either way but makes sense to stay consistent with each other.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I prefer a MK4 leupold ,I have never had a leupold fail . from .223 to 50 bmg , and they have luminated reticle with either mil dot or mrad ,first or second focals plus made here in USA

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is the MOA version. I went that way because my shooting bud and my grandson both use MOA. This simplifies things when shooting together and calling corrections. I could go either way but makes sense to stay consistent with each other.
That's a beautiful rig! What make are those rings? I don't think I've ever seen rings that look as secure as those.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer a MK4 leupold ,I have never had a leupold fail . from .223 to 50 bmg , and they have luminated reticle with either mil dot or mrad ,first or second focals plus made here in USA
I gave some real thought to the MK4. The guys at SIG told me that their 716 "Shop Rifle" has a MK4 on it and hasn't had any problems.

I wasn't too fond of the scope, so I was trying to get other opinions. Its good to hear your experience is in-line with what they are telling me. That is still a possibility for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an IOR 2.5X10 FFP on my SIG 716 and it covers close / mid to long range very well.
I put a Leupold MK4 6.5 X 20 on my FN SPR bolt rifle and the added magnification is nice unless its a hot day and mirage works against high magnification.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SWFA SS 3-15x42

Just sold a used one for $600. New can be had for $700

It is rated for .50 BMG. I've seen them on semi auto .50cals and they hold 0 after hundreds of rounds.

Also, their warranty is outstanding.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50....have it on my 716 and haven't broken it yet after several hundred rounds. $700ish for SFP.

I have the brother to this but in FFP and picked it up for $850. It comes in four flavors of reticles (2 MOA and 2 MRAD). Glass is crisp and I don't have any issues surrounding losing my settings. You can order custom turrets as well. One drawback, which is slight, is that it does not have a turret based zero stop. What I mean is that you look at other zero stop ones and you lift up on the turret and rotate and sit down. On the PST they have zero stop shims that once you are zeroed, you pull the cap and place the shims, then set the turret down with zero facing you. What is cool is that you can still go several clicks below zero for those oh **** moments without having to rezero and readjust the shims. Other than that it is a solid scope and vortex customer service is hands down awesome. I emailed them once on a Friday at 4 pm and received an email back from them in 30 minutes. Top notch service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts