SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Sigs and recently purchased a well-used P239 that I decided to take apart to refinish it. I think I got the frame put together correctly (hammer/trigger/decocker all seem to function correctly) but I cannot get the slide back on the frame. When I try, it won't slide all the way back to the slide hold position. It looks like the barrel feed ramp is catching on the locking block. If I take the barrel out, the slide can go into position, so I don't think it is something on the frame (I could be wrong though). I put two little dings in the barrel feed ramp and am hoping the barrel isn't ruined now. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
The finish you put on the slide, looks like Cerakote or something similar, has changed the dimensions of the slide and hence, the fit of the barrel into the slide. The barrel is not seating properly to the slide, causing the impact on the feed ramp. Removal of the Cerakote from the slide on the breech face and the front surface of the ejection port should most likely alleviate this condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coating dimension

I thought that might be the case, but I even tapped the barrel with a brass hammer to see if it wasn't seating all the way into the slide. It doesn't seem like the barrel can go any higher up into the opening in the slide. I can bead blast off the finish, but before doing so just wanted to make sure I don't have something else wrong. It seems to have enough play in it. With spring in and slide off gun, I can push down on the part of the barrel that shows through slide opening and it springs back into place there. I'm puzzled. Thanks for input.

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
I don't think I would blast the finish off of the slide. I would probably use a stone to remove just a bit at a time, constantly checking the barrel fit, stopping when just enough finish was removed to allow the barrel to fit.

I am presuming the barrel fit properly prior to refinishing the slide, the only change made was adding the finish to the slide, hence removal of this extra finish would be my prescribed approach to the problem. Good luck, you are essentially refitting the barrel to the slide, but using a bit unorthodox process to achieve that objective.

I have bracketed in the attached photo the two areas I would remove finish from the slide. Hope this helps.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
In addition to the areas designated, possibly also in the "bore" of the slide where the barrel moves and tilts also... bottom front, and upper rear... the areas that cause the "smiles" on your barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without removing any finish from the slide at all, I tried a barrel from another P229 and everything functioned perfectly. I then tried the Duracoated barrel in the other P229 (factory stock finish) and experienced the same problem of not being able to get the slide on fully before barrel hit locking block.

Looks like I'll need to polish up/remove Duracoat from the barrel so it slides up and out of the way of the locking block properly.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am new to Sigs and recently purchased a well-used P239 that I decided to take apart to refinish it. I think I got the frame put together correctly (hammer/trigger/decocker all seem to function correctly) but I cannot get the slide back on the frame. When I try, it won't slide all the way back to the slide hold position. It looks like the barrel feed ramp is catching on the locking block. If I take the barrel out, the slide can go into position, so I don't think it is something on the frame (I could be wrong though). I put two little dings in the barrel feed ramp and am hoping the barrel isn't ruined now. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?
Hey rlynchtx, if you accidently got some overspray on your barrel, it might be a good idea to clean that Duracoat off the barrel. Cheers !

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .fjgiie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.