SIG Talk banner

Help with Sig P228 purchase/price?

3441 15
Hey guys,

New member, thinking about my first Sig purchase.

WTT/WTS Sig Sauer P228 9mm - Phoenix guns for sale: firearms, handguns, rifles - backpage.com

The P228 link above was posted on the local gun boards near me. The gun was coated in NP3, so it wrecks whatever "Collector" value the pistol may have had. NP3 is a coating/finish system that was developed by a local company here in Phoenix. I have their coating on a couple AR's and I like it, but its expensive (~$400 per gun)

This not being original doesn't bother me in the least. I enjoy shooting anything I own.

It mentions that it comes with 8 mags (no mention of whether they're factory mags or aftermarket mags.) Lets assume the worst, and say they're aftermarket mags. No mention of a box or the original grips, so lets assume they're gone too.

Is $750 a reasonable price for the rebar'ed pistol + 8 aftermarket mags? Will I be able to get near that same amount back out a couple years down the road if I have to?

Thanks,
Mike
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sounds high to me. I paid $800 for a near flawless 2-tone KF 228 with silver controls, included test target, box, etc., all original about 4 years ago from a fairly over-priced local gun shop. Only 2 mags though.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you're looking for a 228 and if you don't care about the original finish and the possible absence of box, manual, test target, etc, I'd buy it.

NP3 is a top-tier finish from a company that knows what it is doing, and if you consider that a standard package would probably come with 2 mags and that 6 mags are probably worth about $125 bucks, then you're paying $625 for the gun and two mags. That's not unreasonable, IMO.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,672 Posts
a little high but with 8 mags, not too bad, hopefully dovetail or zipperback.

robar's just up the street from me & you'll love np3 coating, it's slicker'n snot as you know.

welcome from az

·
P228 Sherpa
8,057 Posts
A good refinisher can make a frog look like a prince.

About the extra mags, they are essentially meaningless in this case, especially we don't even know what they are. Their condition? No pics = no values. For all we know, they vould be Promags, or U.S.A. brand mags, the worst kinds of aftermarket mags.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Looks nice at first glance, but closer inspection of the edges shows that, externally at least, this was a dog, originally. Pass.
I see a possible issue on the trigger guard, but the OP says this is going to be a shooter so I doubt he's troubled by that.

Where else are you seeing red flags Q?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Look at the right side of the slide edge right under "P228", the chin area of the slide, and also look at the crown of the barrel.
I didn't notice the crown on my first pass. Good catch.

The other imperfections wouldn't qualify the pistol as a dog in my book, and probably won't trouble the OP since this will be a shooter.

I agree with you about the value of the extra mags. My estimate was predicated on the assumption that they are factory or MecGars.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks like the link was pulled so I can't see the gun and I defer to the wisdom posted above. I would like to interject my recent experience:

Purchased 3 of the beater 228's that were on Gunbroker a few weeks back.All three were W.German,triple serial numbered,2 KH and a KJ.1997 & 1998.
When it was all said and done with shipping,FFL fees,new parts kits,stainless recoil rods,Hogue rubber grips,and 3 OEM mags via CDNN my investment is $458 per gun.

They are sweet shooting ,comfortable and well balanced.Could I have held out for a better looking gun? Sure,I could have.Could I have it refinished,sure I could. Would I see any increase in value,probably not. If there was a more bountiful supply of West German 228s to be had I might speculate and keep some cash on hand and try and find a $600-700 gun but for now I have a 228 that shoots great,feels great and looks like a classic,battleworn piece of hardware.Frankly I'm really liking the worn,patina they have developed over their lives.
Here is a link to my original thread with pics:http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/176178-228-keep-rolling.html#post2329898

·
Registered
599 Posts
I saw that earlier today while I was looking around. I think it selling was a sign and probably a good thing. I am in the market as well and it just wasn't the right gun at the right price for me. Good Luck on your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.