SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i have 2 sig 229 double actions,
one cerkaoted and one natural i dissembled one all the way, the other no, just the slide and slide block, both went together no problem,, now the barrel hits the slide block upon the slide going on and wont go over the slide block to seat properly ,, both of them are doing the same issue, the slide block look flush and seated with the screws turned and it poped down. but the barrel still catches on the feed lip,
i can post pics the barrel where the barrel feed ramp strikes the block. any ideas when i put the slide on it goes on fine add barrel no guide rod it s a no go it catches ,,, on the barrel feed ramp like the barrel is not going in the slide all the way on both the cerakoted and natural finish ???????????:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like your issue is with the locking block. The trigger pivot pin needs to be in the correct position for the locking block to seat properly. The pivot pin has either a single slit (looks like a screw head) or multiple small striations that need to be horizontal before you try to re-seat the locking block.

Check out this video for a good visual: (re-assembly starts around the 8:00 mark)

Installing a Sig Trigger: Perfecting the P227 - YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how do u add pictures it wants me to enter a url

Also the piviot pin is in the correct side left, and the block slips over it and slips down a little and seats at the frame and the take lever runs through it no issues
this model is double only and has no decock lever

·
Registered
6 Posts
To add images click the "Manage Attachments" button to upload photos directly to the thread.

If the locking block is seating properly, there should be no issue with the barrel feed ramp interfering. Please post pics of the barrel as well as the locking block if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
here is the barrel where it make contact with block, the block has the takedown in so it should be seated properly in this pic there was no recoil spring i tried to keep the barrel elevated manually but it still caught on the trigger block

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
So the frame goes together fine, the feed ramp hits the locking block? Sounds like the bushings in the slide up near the front needs to be finessed! If it was cerakoted then the extra material the cerakote adds may be interfering with the barrel sitting correctly. Take some 400 grit + paper and lightly sand. Try not to remove actual metal, just the finish. I had the same issue after my first cerakote job on my 225. After a few swipes with the sand paper see if its getting closer. If it is take a little more off and continue until the slide fits on the frame.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Barrel Bushings in Slide

The problem you are having is that there is a slight amount of Cerakote finish on the barrel bushings in the Slide. This Cerakote on those bushings are enough to keep the Barrel from going up high enough into the Slide. The barrel bushings are located under the front sight inside the slide. Take a look inside the slide on your uncoated pistol and find these bushings.

The cut bushings are quarter moon shaped and there is one at the very front edge of the Slide at the bottom of the opening of the Slide. The top bushing is about a quarter inch back and at the top of the slide. Take something and try to scrape the finish off these bushings so you can see them. A small sharp pocket knife should work to get the finish off these bushings. Try to scrape or sand the finish off these bushings so you can see them. Only sand finish off these bushings and not any steel. Please leave the bushings as they were before the Cerakoating and do not reshape them; only remove the Cerakote.

If the Barrel is also coated the coating will make the bushings fit too tight which pushes the barrel lower in the Slide and makes the hookup at the bottom of the feed-ramp too low. Do not sand any metal at the bottom of the feed ramp. Instead make the Barrel fit into the Slide.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
If the locking block is in fact properly seated, then look to make sure that the barrel hood is also properly seated in the slide before mounting the slide to the frame. The barrel hood should remain seated in the slide as you move the slide back on the frame to the point where the barrel lug engages the locking insert. I have inadvertently pushed the barrel block down out of position with my slide hand as I was pushing the slide back onto the frame (though it's been a while since then).

Is the ceracoated slide the one that you're having trouble with?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The problem you are having is that there is a slight amount of Cerakote finish on the barrel bushings in the Slide. This Cerakote on those bushings are enough to keep the Barrel from going up high enough into the Slide. The barrel bushings are located under the front sight inside the slide. Take a look inside the slide on your uncoated pistol and find these bushings.

The cut bushings are quarter moon shaped and there is one at the very front edge of the Slide at the bottom of the opening of the Slide. The top bushing is about a quarter inch back and at the top of the slide. Take something and try to scrape the finish off these bushings so you can see them. A small sharp pocket knife should work to get the finish off these bushings. Try to scrape or sand the finish off these bushings so you can see them. Only sand finish off these bushings and not any steel. Please leave the bushings as they were before the Cerakoating and do not reshape them; only remove the Cerakote.

If the Barrel is also coated the coating will make the bushings fit too tight which pushes the barrel lower in the Slide and makes the hookup at the bottom of the feed-ramp too low. Do not sand any metal at the bottom of the feed ramp. Instead make the Barrel fit into the Slide.
I've had the issue with cerakote, but I believe both pistols were already assembled when he took them apart and now has the issue. I may be wrong though.

This same thing happened to me once, and it was just the locking block was not seated all the way. Even though the pin was oriented correctly and the block slid on and seemed to lock down all the way, it wasn't. I just had to work it a little, and get the locking block to seat that last mm to get it all together. Seemed to help to move the pin a little side to side in the frame to get the locking block to slide down.

·
Premium Member
36,779 Posts
If both guns worked before and both guns hit the ramp now, I think you have the two barrels reversed. You don't say what caliber they are.
The Cerakote I could see affecting it, if applied thick.
The other gun you made no modification to.
If the Cerakote was making it hit you would have felt it coming off also.
Barrels fit fairly precise and dropping a factory barrel into a factory slide does not always work without fitting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see how one slide has the bushing polished but that one wont go back together either lol
I have swaped barrels guide rods and locking block between the 2 and neither slide will go on one guide rod spring has a extra co vs the other one but still neither work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is the finished project my new shifter and it was too much cerakote on the barrel ... thanks for all the ideas helped me figure it out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts