SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to SIG picking up my first P229 a few days ago. I'm interested in changing the sights to XS Standard Dots. I've put XS and many other sights on Glocks before, and all I've used was a vice, punch, and a hammer (a couple of times I just used some books in lieu of a vice). Is it that simple for a Sig P229, or are their sights pressed too tight like some of the M&P's I've worked on?

If a sight removal tool is needed to change and adjust sights, is there an inexpensive yet effective brand/model you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Use a sight pusher? I use this one. Got it off ebay. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. The rubber stops have too much give so i back them off flush and put tape on to prevent maring the finish.

Yes Bear i know what happens when you use hammer and punch. Ill spare the photos of the end result, just chalk it up as lesson learned.:banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
yes do not use a punch and hammer...this is to be done with precision...a press is always best....i bought a like new Glock G27 gen4 and i used a very expensive press from a friend and it made life to easy to install the new sights...well with the investment....God Bless,John

sometimes u can cut corners...this is NOT one of these times....

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a sight pusher? I use this one. Got it off ebay. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. The rubber stops have too much give so i back them off flush and put tape on to prevent maring the finish.

Yes Bear i know what happens when you use hammer and punch. Ill spare the photos of the end result, just chalk it up as lesson learned.:banghead:
PERFECT, thank you!

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
What do you consider expensive?

I think the very best available is the MGW Sight Pro (I have one) but it's over $350.

Wheeler Engineering has one for $170 that gets good reviews on Amazon.

The MGW is a piece of art. I'm a hobby machinist and this tool is quality exemplified. I couldn't make one for anything approaching the price . . . it's very nice. (read$$$$).

I agree with the others re using a punch on sights, especially tritium night sights.
But if you do, "color" the sight with lead pencil where you will hold the punch. The pencil will keep brass punch from marking the finish.

With rare exception, all pins and sights are removed from right to left, and installed from left to right (the gun's left and right side as you are holding pointing it).

Try a bit of penetrating oil on the sight base before having at it.

There are penetrating oils out there varying from Kroil to WD-40 (which really isn't one). The very best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of automotive ATF and acetone. You'll have to shake it before use but it works better than any commercial product I'm aware of. Check that acetone won't affect finish in an inconspicuous spot before use.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What do you consider expensive?

I think the very best available is the MGW Sight Pro (I have one) but it's over $350.

Wheeler Engineering has one for $170 that gets good reviews on Amazon.

The MGW is a piece of art. I'm a hobby machinist and this tool is quality exemplified. I couldn't make one for anything approaching the price . . . it's very nice. (read$$$$).

I agree with the others re using a punch on sights, especially tritium night sights.
But if you do, "color" the sight with lead pencil where you will hold the punch. The pencil will keep brass punch from marking the finish.

With rare exception, all pins and sights are removed from right to left, and installed from left to right (the gun's left and right side as you are holding pointing it).

Try a bit of penetrating oil on the sight base before having at it.

There are penetrating oils out there varying from Kroil to WD-40 (which really isn't one). The very best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of automotive ATF and acetone. You'll have to shake it before use but it works better than any commercial product I'm aware of. Check that acetone won't affect finish in an inconspicuous spot before use.
Very well said...i used a wheeler to do my glock sights and i am working on buying a genuine sig sauer sight tool from.my local gun shop...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
John,

MGW makes the SIG branded sight pushers, in case you're not aware. These models were made prior to the Sight Pro and are mostly limited to use on one "line" of pistol. (e.g. the one for the P226 will work on the P228, P229 etc. but will not work on the P238, P239). The Sight Pro has the advantage of working with other brands and model lines through the addition of a $18 (?) shoe.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well i did not know this but after seeing they made that prototype sig i should have...thank u for that great info...he has tried to sell me for years...i think it is blue and only used one time far as i know...i need one to change my p229 sights...i thought he said it was for a p220 so not sure if it will work or not...he bought it direct from Sig and i think the box says from Sig too...i think he wanted like 90.00 for it

here is a few pics of ones that look like it...i should have looked closer at it over the years....pics are from ebay sales...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,752 Posts
I've got a couple, the first is from the late '80s, or early '90s, the PD I was on had, that I had to lightly widen for the slightly thicker milled slides on the .40 P226s we had gotten later. I swapped them a Glock tool for it, as they had went to Glock 21s after I left.

The second I got because the first wouldn't work on a P239, and also made by MGW, but marketed through Ameriglo, vice Sig, and was close to $100 cheaper.

From my observations, MGW has apparently suspended manufacturer, of the model for classic Sigs, unless they have changed the design as the MGW 307 is shown as disconnected.

Attachments

·
🎖USAF Retired
4,404 Posts
Ok.. gonna say that using a punch is NOT going to be the end of the world. I used one for ever. I even also used a screwdriver once... OMG... Call it lucky or just careful but never had a problem...

That said, I did buy the wheeler sight tool and have no regrets. It allows me the ability to make much finer adjustments. So if you can afford a site tool get one, you won’t regret it

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,990 Posts
I would normally recommend using a sight pusher to install the front sight, but the XS front sight is a two piece design with the sight post bonded to the sight base plate. A sight pusher like the MGW 307 pushes on the front sight post and I did snap one off when installing it in a very tight front dovetail.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would normally recommend using a sight pusher to install the front sight, but the XS front sight is a two piece design with the sight post bonded to the sight base plate. A sight pusher like the MGW 307 pushes on the front sight post and I did snap one off when installing it in a very tight front dovetail.
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Buckman60

·
Registered
134 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.