SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of my friends are trying to get me into shooting clay. They both have launcher's that we would be using for fun/practice. Also, yesterday I went to a local trap club just to watch and check it out. I have to admit, going in, I wanted nothing to do with it. After watching them the first 5 minutes, I was on my phone searching for a shotgun?

Can anyone recommend a good gun for a beginner? As much as I would like to keep it as cheap as possible, I have learned through the years that it is cheaper to buy once cry once. Basically I would like to put a $500 limit on it but keep finding myself back at browning's offerings.

I keep looking at the BT 99 and the Maxus. As green as I am, it seems like basically single shot vs auto loading?

Any help or recommendations would greatly be appreciated. I don't plan on hunting and it sounds like at the club they never shoot doubles so a single shot is really all that is needed...but it makes me wonder if something like the Maxus would leave me open to more options down the road?

Also, I'm not married to browning, I just know they are quality. I only own one shotgun and it's an 870 tactical...that hurts to shoot! Lol

Thanks

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
If you're going to shoot Sporting Clays, Skeet or Doubles Trap, you need either a semiauto or double barrel gun. If you're just going to shoot a few off a backyard trap, anything will do.

A good low end gun for just about anything is a Browning Citori, but they run around $750-$1,000 or so and are extremely popular at all the Clay target fields.

Go to a local trap/skeet/sporting clays field and see if you can rent or perhaps get someone to let you shoot their gun. Shoot several and see which one you like best.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wife and I both shoot Weatherby Orions. O/U. Check pawn shops or local gun ranges for used ones.
Walmart in some areas have less expensive O/U.
If your just shooting occasionally, basically any gun will do. I started with a Mossberg 500 pump.
Make sure it has removable chokes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're going to shoot Sporting Clays, Skeet or Doubles Trap, you need either a semiauto or double barrel gun. If you're just going to shoot a few off a backyard trap, anything will do.

A good low end gun for just about anything is a Browning Citori, but they run around $750-$1,000 or so and are extremely popular at all the Clay target fields.

Go to a local trap/skeet/sporting clays field and see if you can rent or perhaps get someone to let you shoot their gun. Shoot several and see which one you like best.
I wish I could get a citori but everything I'm seeing is that it's almost twice as much as the BT 99/Maxus?

I haven't started price shopping yet but just quickly looking, that's what I saw.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you buy a single shot you will not be buying once. Also, if your tactical 870 hurts to shoot you should probably consider a semi-auto. They reduce recoil and you can shoot light loads all day.

Stoeger actually makes some decent 28 inch auto loading 12 qa. The M3000 might fit your bill.

That said I love OU's. Classic firearm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The venerable Remington 1100 gas auto has set many records on the trap / skeet scene. Light recoil and interchangeable barrels and chokes make it very versatile. There were so many made that it shouldn’t be too hard to find a reasonably priced used one.

As much as I like doubles, the light recoil of the 1100 let’s me shoot it all day!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
The venerable Remington 1100 gas auto has set many records on the trap / skeet scene. Light recoil and interchangeable barrels and chokes make it very versatile. There were so many made that it shouldn’t be too hard to find a reasonably priced used one.

As much as I like doubles, the light recoil of the 1100 let’s me shoot it all day!
This is good advice. Welcome to the forum wagwan.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I shoot mostly sporting clays. If I’m not using a Citori, I use my Maxus. I have a Maxus Golden Sporting Clays. I think it is a superb semi auto with very manageable recoil. I also occasionally use a Browning Silver semi auto, (mine is a 20 ga.), another nice shotgun.
A Remington 1100 is no slouch. There have been many different models made.
12 ga. is the popular choice, but don’t underestimate the 20 ga. I enjoy shooting them also.
However, if you can afford a Citori, they are a great O/U for the money with a large variety of models to choose from.

·
Registered
35,418 Posts
For your price range, used guns are available and will do you well.
Then move up later, if you do a lot of it.

I started out with a fixed choke Citori, that was a very good low cost gun.
I sold it for more money, when I moved up.

Also I think the best auto made was the Beretta 390.
I shot a lot of 391s, but I preferred 390s, and there are still lots out there.

Baretta was the most popular auto for the sporting clays sport, but the corp shifted to Benelli, and there are lots of those out there as well.

I got a real good deal on a 390 once because the owner couldn't hit with it.
Beretta uses a shim, to turn the stock for right or left handers.

I showed him, that it had been turned for left handers.
I helped him flip it, but he decided he still didn't like it, so sold it cheap.
Really great gun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also as a side note:
Don't get caught up in the hype of shot speed. Low recoil 1000fps allow you to shoot a lot more rounds in a day and you will hit just as many as the 1250fps.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Also as a side note:
Don't get caught up in the hype of shot speed. Low recoil 1000fps allow you to shoot a lot more rounds in a day and you will hit just as many as the 1250fps.
I agree, but, in my experience, many semi autos won’t consistently cycle on low recoil loads until well broken in. Certainly O/U’s aren’t a problem.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
For your price range, used guns are available and will do you well.
Then move up later, if you do a lot of it.

I started out with a fixed choke Citori, that was a very good low cost gun.
I sold it for more money, when I moved up.

Also I think the best auto made was the Beretta 390.
I shot a lot of 391s, but I preferred 390s, and there are still lots out there.

Baretta was the most popular auto for the sporting clays sport, but the corp shifted to Benelli, and there are lots of those out there as well.

I got a real good deal on a 390 once because the owner couldn't hit with it.
Beretta uses a shim, to turn the stock for right or left handers.

I showed him, that it had been turned for left handers.
I helped him flip it, but he decided he still didn't like it, so sold it cheap.
Really great gun.
I really like the 390’s. My buddy shoots one often, but it hasn’t cycled low recoil rounds well. Some of the current Berettas I have handled have had some galling on the receiver. But, I suspect it is due to owners lack of maintenance.
Remember, Benellis’ are mechanical cycling. Gas is generally softer. Although most modern Benelli shotguns have a recoil reduction built into the stock. I haven’t tried any of those out.

·
Registered
232 Posts

This is good advice. Welcome to the forum wagwan.
Agree completely. I’ve shot mine plenty and while I’ve drooled over higher end doubles my 1100 trap has never let me down.
Remember a longer barrel usually smoothes out your swing and helps you keep your cheek weld as consistent as possible. At least it has for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While I don't get the 'technical' distinction between trap/clay/skeet, there's a ton of fun when you hit a moving target

Something you can do at the farm (if you've got one or a friend's) or at the local range...Last one I did included a station where the clay rolled along the ground like a rabbit...

I've almost always rented shotguns when shooting at a range, at the farm I grab whatever shotgun we have around - 12, 16, or 410 - no idea what brand.

·
Registered
20,655 Posts
Whichever way you go, I'd suggest getting one that is fitted (cast, eye dominance, etc.) correctly to you. A good qualified instructor at the gun range/club could do it in no time and probably has a gun or two for you to try and shoot. Believe me when I say, that little bit of knowlege could save you $$$'s and aggrevation.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I am not into trap shooting, but I do have a trap shotgun.

The suggestions of picking up a used gun seem wise to me.

I am a sucker for police trade-ins and got an ugly duckling Model 870 TB from the Ruleville, MS Police Dept. three years ago for a $139.00. I stripped it down and gave it a good going over. It is now a beautiful and very functional shotgun. It has a 28" barrel with a modified choke. The manufacture date was between 1974 to 1978.

Below are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
My favorite LGS has these in stock for less than $500. Says they sell pretty good, but he hasn't used one. 'Net reviews give them thumbs up. Some issues but company fixes the problems. I am thinking of getting one just to shoot with my shooting buddy who has gone off the deep end with clays - 2 new shotguns, 2 throwers, cases of 12ga and clays every weekend.

https://www.tristararms.com/series/viper-g2-sporting/#viper-g2-sporting-synthetic-blue

Good luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know Miroku of Japan built the BT 99 and Citori, the Charles Daly guns, and many other rifles and guns marketed under the Browning name. I had a Charles Daly 500 SXS 20ga, best dove gun I ever had which I foolishly sold.

They also market and sell under their own name, and sell used for way less than Brownings on the gun sites. Just put in Miroku and it will pop the Charles Daly as well as Miroku branded guns. Much closer to your desired price range. Might be worth a look.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts