SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice, older, stock p320 compact in 9. (Had Sig "fix" it via recall and added a flat trigger and have Wilson grip....it's a nice gun.)

But with all the talk of Red Dots (and aging eyes), I'd like to consider adding one.

But: What do I need to do to the slide to afix one? Get a new slide? Have the old one milled (who does that?)? Are there some sort of "clamps" to attach one, or do I remove the rear sights and attach it, somehow, to the gun that way.

And then what's a good, low-budget red dot go for? This will be a range toy, not a bedside gun or carry piece, so I don't want to invest the national debt into it.

Is there a good primer somewhere that explains how to do all this or do I need to search the webs? Or is there a relatively straight-forward expanation that folks here might help me with?

(My bedside gun is a big ole .40 S&W 4006TSW CHP with a light, perfect for my situation. And my carry guns are mostly DA/SA S&Ws (Chiefs Specials in .45 and 9 and 4513TSW), a P250 in .40, a J-frame, and a Beretta PX4compact with laser; so I'm not under-armed for carry. I just want to try the "latest" and get more use out of my 320).

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
This topic is getting more complicated as the days go by. There are plenty of players out there making Red Dots and there are a number of different mounting patterns for them. There are not too many "cheap" options out there. Some of the less expensive are from Vortex and Crimson Trace. Sigs fall in the middle and towards the top are the Trijicon. Holosun has mad a big impact on the market and seem to be in the middle price range.

Yes, you can buy a new slide, or have yours milled or maybe buy a plate that replaces the rear sight. But you need to know which sight you want first so you can get the right mounting pattern.

As suggested above, your easiest option is to buy the slide with the sight already on it. If you catch the right sale it could be the most economical. Not long ago someone had P229 slides with the optic mounted and the price worked out so the slide was like $50.

Unfortunately there are so many good options out now that it isn't such an easy decision to make. I currently have a couple Burris Fastfire 3s, a vortex venom and a Sig Max. All work very well.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Great questions. You can get most slides milled for $115 - I don't recall the place, but can either dig it up or someone will jump in with the info. Not too bad a cost.

For an optic, high end ones (RMR and Aimpoint) go for over $400. Sig makes a great mid-level red dot - the Romeo 1 Pro - that you can get for $390 or so new, or $250-300 here on SigTalk used (and in perfectly great condition, usually). They do the job well, and I appreciate their "motion activation", which saves on battery life. The cool thing about buying used is Sig has a 'forever warranty' that I'm guessing transfers with ownership, so if you ever have trouble, Sig customer service will take care of you.

Cheaper red dots are out there for sure, can get 'em for as little as $100 or less. However, if you care enough about your P320 to get Wilson grips and a flat trigger, you probably don't want a seriously flawed optic on it, as that will impact your experience with the gun. The Sig R1P is a good compromise one (price vs performance). I love mine. They come in 3 or 6 MOA dots - there's a recent thread on the topic of which size to choose, which I'd recommend you look up and read.

I love using the red dot as it allows you to focus on your target, vs the iron sights close up. If your eyesight is great, irons work well - but if it stinks, you will appreciate the red dot. It does have a learning curve to quickly acquire your sight, but you can get the hang of it quickly with practice, and you'll be glad you did.

Good luck with your journey!

·
Registered
220 Posts
And I throw one more reason to look at a Sig slide w/optics pre-installed…

If you mill your existing slide you’ll still need to change out the iron sights to suppressor-height ones so you can still see them thru the optic. Most/all of the Sig optic-equipped slides come with the taller sights already installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Since yours started life pre-upgrade, you need to look underneath the slide at the weight reduction slots. If yours run fairly deep, milling is not an option.

This is mine. Note the deep slot above the stripper.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Trigger

I was able to score a complete Compact RX slide with Romeo 1 a while back for $420 delivered. I only had to swap the barrel and RSA. It will cost you a bit more now, but you have a lot of choices on slides, both OEM and 3rd party that can mount a wider variety of sights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One day I went to find a new 9mm that I could shoot better. Never had a 9 that I considered a good shooter. At the store he showed me a 320RXP compact. It was the only Sig he had. I loved the trigger and kept hearing the red dot was good for old eyes so I bought it to see for myself. My eyesight was hurting my pistol shooting pretty bad. This was my lucky day that it was the only choice. After reading all of these threads about what fits what I am so confused. I am so happy I went with a factory installed Romeo 1 Pro. It has the suppressor height white dot sights that you can see through the window in case the dot dies or you just want to shoot with iron sights. I couldn't have bought a better deal for a new Sig guy. I put a Wilson grip and a Sig flat trigger on it. I shoot it as well as my 1911. My eyes really love that red dot. Knowing what I know now I would by factory built slide like mine and put it on. Either keep the old slide for hard times or sell it to help cost on the new slide. You can later buy a new FCU and with your old parts have a new 320 spare.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
One of the SIG P320 RXP slide assemblies would probably be the best way to go.

I'd only consider it for use on the range. It takes some additional time to pickup the red dot, and in a tactical situation that half second to second could be the difference between surviving and not making it. Learning instinctive point shooting would be a better investment for self defense...

Reactions: hauki

·
Super Moderator - 🎖USN Veteran
224 Posts
I had the XL with the Romeo Zero...the "red" dot was not very clear for me because of my astigmatism. I went for the Holosun 507K-GReen dot and I can see it perfectly. Love it...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Trijicon and Leupold are the only two companies that have American made handgun RDS.

The rest are Chinese or some other countries product (they majority are Chinese) and I certainty don't want to be the guy financing the next varient of the virus, so I've used Trijicon RMR's for 6 years now.

They cost a few bucks more because they aren't made in sweat shops.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Trijicon and Leupold are the only two companies that have American made handgun RDS.

The rest are Chinese or some other countries product (they majority are Chinese) and I certainty don't want to be the guy financing the next varient of the virus, so I've used Trijicon RMR's for 6 years now.

They cost a few bucks more because they aren't made in sweat shops.
Aren’t the Romeo optics made in Oregon?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/exclusive-gunsamerica-video-from-the-sig-electro-optics-factory/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
487 Posts
Aren’t the Romeo optics made in Oregon?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/exclusive-gunsamerica-video-from-the-sig-electro-optics-factory/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, to the best of my knowledge they come from China.
Like many other they claim to be designed in the USA but they are made in China.
The company that owns holosun is the OEM manufacturer for many companies optics.

I know Trijicon RMR's and SRO's are 100% American made, which is why I buy those and pay they couple extra dollars.

ETA: I see there is a video in the link you posted that shows them making rifle scopes and says something about a romeo zero.
So I stand corrected.
Everything I had seen previously said holosums parent company was making Sig's RDS site's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts