SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to shooting (took a private intro lesson at the range and have gone back to shoot with rentals a couple of times) and would like some opinions on a 9mm pistol that will work for concealed carry. I was originally looking at the 9mm P229 but I think it might be on the large size for that. (Plus the guy at the shop said finding it in 9mm was like finding a unicorn. Don't know if that's true.) I really liked the feel of the compact P250 but have seen some pretty mixed reviews online...some glowing and some trashing it and not a lot in the middle. Unfortunately they didn't have it available to rent or I would have tried it out. I'd also consider the P239. I know the P250 is a DAO and P239 is DA/SA, I was leaning toward the DAO because of the lighter trigger pull but I haven't really developed a strong preference one way or the other so chime in if you have an opinion on that. The other one in the running is a Glock 19. I enjoyed shooting it, I just don't like the grip on that quite as well even in the Gen 4.

I'm female with smallish hands if that makes a difference ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Welcome from Seattle.

Choosing a CC handgun is really a personal choice. You'll get a ton of opinions here. Some good, some not. Use the information you get here to aid in your decision. As for the P250 as a EDC, I have the compact version and for me it works well. I alternate between it and an SP2022. Both are roughly the same size and weight. It also depends on how you're going to carry. In a fanny pack, a purse or in a holster. Hope this helps.

Ric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't be caught dead in a fanny pack. ;) I'm not a "big purse" person either so most likely I would holster it.

I've narrowed it down to the above based on research and personal preference and I'm having trouble "pulling the trigger" (heh) on a final decision so I welcome all opinions, positive or negative.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Not a fanny pack person either, then again I'm 6'1" 255 so it's a bit easier to carry. Holster choices a plenty, IWB, OWB of all different kinds. Mine are both OWB.

P250 compact in a Kydex/leather holster.

SP2022 in a pancake leather holster.

Ric

·
Registered
140 Posts
Last week at Gander Mountain in Green Bay, they had a nice P239 9mm in the diamond plate finish on the slide. I'm not a cosmetic guy, but it was a sharp looker. The 239 has the rounded trigger guard which is nice for concealment. Take your time, the weapon you want is out there. Get in touch and make acquaintance with a local/private FFL Dealer. Check all the gun dealers on the Internet and search for the weapon of your choice and have the weapon shipped to your local FFL dealer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I personally don't like the 250.. I does have a really nice light trigger and a predictable break. But I would prefer cocked and locked for CC.. Just my two cents..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
169 Posts
P239 for me. However, I own mostly da/sa Sigs and so I am in familiar territory there. I do like the P250 and feel the DAO is quite smooth. Is it lighter than the DA of a DA/SA, maybe, but that is debatable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try to shoot both if you can. You'll get lots of advice one way or the other but it will come down to personal preference. I had a p250 compact and then when I tried a buddy's da/sa gun (in his case a CZ) I traded my 250 for a p239. I just didn't like that loooong (but smooth) DAO trigger. YMMV

·
Premium Member
37,514 Posts
I am biased as I choose a 239-40 that will soon shoot 9mm as well. One point I would like to put out there is the decocker for carry on the 239. I am long term 1911 and feel good with a manual & grip safety. Going to DA I like the decocker feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a glock 19 and have owned the p239 both are good guns. The p239 would be a little easier to conceal only because it is the thinnest of the group you mentioned, the da/sa trigger is tougher to master than the g19 and p250 (only 1 pull to learn) but a da/sa is a safer due to that first long pull. 1 of the important things in choosing a self defense pistol is 1 that you feel is comfortable in your hand and the rest you still have to choose, how to carry, where, recoil, sights and etc. Good luck

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had a 250SC and carried that for a time. I sold it so I could get my 239. I like the consistant trigger of the 250 and would not have a problem getting another one. The 239 is a little thinner and that is my main carry gun now.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I would recommend you start your search by holding as many different guns as you can. You'll be able to weed out a bunch right away because they don't feel good in your hand. While handling, make sure to manipulate all the controls, such as decockers, safeties, mag releases and rack the slide. Also, with the permission of the owner and after triple checking that the gun is unloaded, do some dry fire to get a feel for the trigger action. Likely drop some more here, too.

Then, ideally, find a range that rents guns. Fire those that you are considering and decide which feels best to you and is easiest for you to operate. A few gun stores near me rent guns for about $10 per hour. I buy the ammo from them and they let me shoot as many as I like. If there is something like this available to you, by all means, take advantage of it. Like a pair of shoes, you need to find a gun that fits and feels good to YOU!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Malicious Compliance, there are a couple of good ranges around here that rent but unfortunately neither has a P250 for rental at the moment. They did have it for sale and I liked the way it felt in my hand better than pretty much anything else I've tried. I know a lot of people hate the DAO trigger though. But then there are others who like the long pull for safety so I'm kind of on the fence with my limited experience. I did dry fire and it didn't bother me, I think I might be in the minority that prefers the longer and lighter pull.

I have not held a P239 yet (going to see if I can get my hands on one tomorrow, going to the range with my hubs and planning to rent so I can try some out, I can barely reach the trigger on his HK USP anyway), sounds like it's a well regarded gun but my main hesitation with that one is that it only holds 8 rounds. I'll also clarify that I want something that I *can* carry once I get my CHL, but probably won't on a daily basis. But if I'm going out at night or to a wilderness area it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks for your input everyone, keep it coming. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
the advice i had gotten on handguns from an leo was pick the largest caliber you can handle. The size of your hand does make all the difference .He looked at my hands and said glock 45. with as many rounds as the gun mag can take.I just shopped fell in love with 1911 s I think alot of people have a following of 1911s especially the sigtacops or my buddy who has a scorpion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The most important factor in choosing a handgun is ergonomics. How does the grip feel in your hand? Do you have any issues reaching the trigger so that the pad of your index finger contacts the face of the trigger? Can you press the trigger straight back without pushing or pulling it? Does it have a palm swell? Does the backstrap contour interface with the palm of your hand?

Buying a handgun that doesn't fit the hand just right is like walking around all day wearing uncomfortable shoes.

A DAO trigger is heavier and longer than a SA trigger. The DAO trigger on the P250 is one of the best DAO triggers I've shot. I own two P250 fire control units, and several x-change kits. It does take practice and patience to learn to shoot a DAO trigger well. If you do learn to shoot DAO well, shooting every other trigger type is easy.

The advantage of the P250 is that it is simple. No external safeties to engage or disengage. The long trigger pull and your brain are all the safeties you need. The trigger pull is always consistent. Staging the trigger is easy to do because the P250 trigger has a very predictable break. The modularity of the P250 make it ideal. Install the fire control unit into the appropriate frame size to suit your needs. Full size for home defense. Sub compact for conceal carry.

The disadvantage of the P250 is the DAO trigger. You'll either love it or hate it. There is no in between. Also just like a revolver, you must let the trigger all the way out for it to reset. You have to make sure you're not short stroking the trigger.

I currently own a couple DA/SA hammer fire handguns: a Taurus PT92 and a Sig P226 Tacops. The challenge with tis type of trigger is breaking the first DA shot, with the long heavy trigger pull, accurately. Single action trigger is light and easy.

The best advice is to handle as many handguns at the LGS as you can. Pay close attention to the feel in hand, placement of the controls, and trigger press, the feel of the trigger when it breaks, then the trigger reset.

Here is my opinion. For a new firearms enthusiast, the best semi auto handgun to start with is a polymer frame, striker fired. The trigger press is consistent. It's not long and heavy like a DAO. It's not as light as a SA trigger. There are no hurdles to overcome transitioning between trigger pull types as with a DA/SA pistol. Striker fire handguns are generally mechanically simpler than hammer fire handguns, less to go wrong.

I suggest you handle a S&W M&P 9c. It can be ordered with external safety, mag disconnect safety, both, one or the other, or no external or mag safety. It has three sizes of backstrap. Install the one that suits you. I also highly recommend a Glock 26 Gen4.

Keep in mind that the smaller the handgun, the more skill it takes to shoot it well. There are more challenges to overcome with a subcompact or pocket pistol than with a full size or compact.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I purchased a P250C in 9mm a few months ago and I absolutely love the thing! I've read all the negative reviews and opinions on the P250 and its important to differentiate between the 1st generation models and the 2nd generation ones. It's true that Sig ran into problems with the Gen 1 models leading to the cancellation of orders with law enforcement agencies. However, it seems that Sig ironed out the issues with their Gen 2 guns (mine).

I have had zero malfunctions with my P250 and have run a little over 200 FMJ of different weights (115gr and 124gr) and manufactures through it. The trigger is exceedingly smooth and has a crisp and predictable break. Because it is DAO, yes the trigger pull is longer than say a 1911 SA or Glock Safe Action trigger. Personally, this is not a problem for me and I like the added safety of having a DAO trigger for CC. Shooters with revolver experience (I have very little) also have reported no problems transitioning to the P250. I have also found the P250 to be exceedingly accurate right out of the box and have been able to obtain tight groupings with it even on my first outing with it.

I paid $499 for my P250C 9mm with factory installed SIGLITE night sights. With a little homework they can be found for even less. For the price and its modular design (the ability to switch calibers and frame size) that makes the P250, dollar for dollar, one of the best values on the market right now.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Review of P250 by Nutnfancy:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
My office uses the Sig family of .40's with the DAK trigger. We are all issued the 229 DAK and the 239 DAK at the academy. Some opt for the 226 DAK but it is far and few between. Although all three weapons shoot great, the 239 is what most people carry unless they are in an elevated risk situation.

The 239 is a great, well made, accurate and reliable pistol that carries well and is still duty capable. You'd be hard pressed to find a better option. I've tried the baby Glocks, five shot revolvers and a variety of .380 pocket pistols for daily carry. I'm a gun nut. It would be hard to pick just one but the 239 in 9mm would be at the top of a very short list.

I was leery of the DAK/DAO trigger at first but after eight years, you'll get comfortable with anything. As easy as the guns are too shoot, I would still prefer the same group of pistols just chambered in 9mm.

Our duty issue .40 is one hell of a whammy round and I'd never run it in a personally owned pistol because of how abusive it is. At first the recoil management was challenging in the 239 but after a while you seem to get accustomed to it.

However, for a newer shooter trying to build confidence in your chosen pistol, on your own dollar, I'd take the cost benefit of the 9mm as well as the lesser recoil.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I carry a P229, and while I love it, I do think it might be a little on the large size for the average woman. I will say that the E2 grips are nice and slim, though. I have smaller hands, and the P229 fits me perfectly. Have you given any thought to the P224? I was thinking about picking one up in 9mm for my wife if I can ever find one. It's basically a smaller P229. The SAS (Sig Anti-Snag) version of this pistol features a dehorning process on the frame that smooths out any sharp edges, making it a better carry weapon. You can get it in DAK if you want a single long trigger pull every time, or in DA/SA (with a decocker and the Short Reset Trigger) if you want the standard long first pull and short subsequent pulls. The 9mm version holds 11 rounds in the magazine. With the E2 grips, it should fit your hand fine, and overall, it should conceal fairly easily. Food for thought! The downside of of all this is that if you thought finding a P229 in 9mm would be difficult, finding a P224 in 9mm will seem impossible!! I can't find a single one.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.