SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

First, please let me thank you in advance for bearing with the long email. My ultimate question is if there is any difference in quality or function between buying gun A with conversion kit B versus buying gun B with conversion kit A.

Just bought a used SIG that came with a conversion kit.
The gun case had the P226 in it with a 9mm slide/barrel and 2x 15 round SIG 9mm magazines.
The conversion box had a 22LR slide/barrel and 3x poly 10 round 22LR magazines in it.

I thought I had bought a P226R 9mm with a 22LR conversion kit, but paying more attention now at home, the gun case has the following on a sticker:
226BR-22-BAS
P226R, 22, NITRON, ADJ, DA/SA, BEAVERTAIL

After doing a lot of reading, it would appear the gun was purchased as a P226 Classic 22 and the conversion kit would be the x-change 9mm kit.

Where I would like some help is the following:
If you look at SIG's list prices (all for P226):
22LR conversion kit = $285
9mm x-change kit = $375
P226 Classic 22 Beavertail = $679
P226 Nitron = $1108
P226 Enhanced Elite = $1199

my P226 seems to match best to the P226 Nitro with SIGLite Night sites and Ergo grips (my grips do not match the Classic 22 grips), but it has the Beavertail like the P226 Enhanced Elite. Mine does not have the front cocking serrations on the slide like the Elite. My slide has a much longer extractor than either the Elite or the Nitro. I am not sure if I have the Short Reset Trigger.

So... it looks to me like list price for what I just purchased would be:
P226 Classic 22LR = $679
9mm x-change kit = $375
Total = $1054

If I had the P226 Nitron w/Night sites and the 22LR conversion kit, list prices would be:
P226 Nitron w/NtSites = $1108
22LR x-change kit = $285
Total = $1393

To be clear, this is all just for me to learn more about the SIGs. If the frames/features on the P226 Nitron and P226 Classic 22LR are the same, it would seem a better deal to buy the 22 and the 9mm x-change kit instead of buying the Nitron and the 22LR kit, saving $339????

However, $339 seems pretty significant, making me wonder if the frame/features that come with the 22LR are significantly different that same coming with the 9mm Nitron???

Again, sorry for the lengthy first post. If you've managed to slog through the whole thing, I'd love to learn more about the differences that might account for the extra $339??? Is my Classic 22LR Beavertail w/9mm x-change kit a lesser quality/value setup than a Nitron w/22LR x-change kit?

All prices/features pulled from sigsaur.com's current product pages for the P226 models and x-change kits. I'd be happy to paste the actual links in this message if allowed. Just let me know.

Thanks very much for any thoughts.
rjb

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Welcome to the site from Florida. Sometimes there is not a lots of action on the weekend. Someone will be along soon.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi, Welcome from the east coast of Florida. Can't really help on prices, or what you might may have, but as redfish said, I am sure some one will help out.

·
Registered
56,248 Posts
yes it is cheaper to buy the 22 version 1st, many have chosen that path & gone further by adding a complete 40/357sig slide(with barrel)& then adding the other bbl to have 4 calibers in with one sig frame.

welcome from az

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I don't have either one.

However, the slide on the .22 is aluminum and the 9mm is Stainless Steel. So the .22 is cheaper to make and priced as a .22 pistol. Sig seem to price all of the conversion kits around $375-$399 regardless of caliber.

Remember, "firearms" are highly regulated and transfers are recorded and reported. There is a cost associated with this. Parts (unless it's the receiver) are not. So SIG can ship right to your door unless there another restriction (like mag capacity).

As far as I know, there's essentially no difference in the frame itself. Sig themselves promote the .22lr coupled with the centerfire exchange kit.

P226 Classic 22

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks, thanks very much for the replies.

"many have chosen that path & gone further by adding a complete 40/357sig slide(with barrel)& then adding the other bbl to have 4 calibers in with one sig frame"

Do I understand this correctly to say that the slide assembly I have with the 9mm kit only requires that I purchase a barrel and magazine to use it as a .40? The 9mm slide/recoil spring, etc. will work with the .40 barrel?

thanks again!
rjb

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you look at SIG's list prices (all for P226):
22LR conversion kit = $285
9mm x-change kit = $375
P226 Classic 22 Beavertail = $679
P226 Nitron = $1108
P226 Enhanced Elite = $1199
First off, it is my understanding the frames are the same regardless of which way you start out.

Something else to factor into your price calculations: you used SIG's MSRP prices in your comparisons. While some gun shops do in fact sell at these prices, these items are usually priced MUCH lower than their MSRP, particularly at dealers on-line.

Using the more realistic "street" prices will explain a lot of your "missing" $339.

Rest assured the the SIG you now own with its exchange kit, regardless of which way it started, is a real SIG and is of real SIG quality.

Congratulations on your purchase - enjoy.

·
Premium Member
37,447 Posts
No difference in the gun.
Sig offers quite a large savings with the 22 first, so my guess is the majority of new are sold that way.
The conversion kit has a one year warranty and the gun is for life. Centerfire is much easier, so I would want more warranty on the 22.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
147 Posts
By going the route you went... you ended up with a beavertail framed p226 in nitron finish that can shoot both 9mm and .22lr for about the same price as one Enhanced Elite and the only thing the enhanced elite would have brought to the table is the front cocking serrations so Id say you did well. Of course the more expensive guns come with the SRT and it's very likely that you do not have that. But you can add it for $50.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Hi folks, thanks very much for the replies.

"many have chosen that path & gone further by adding a complete 40/357sig slide(with barrel)& then adding the other bbl to have 4 calibers in with one sig frame"

Do I understand this correctly to say that the slide assembly I have with the 9mm kit only requires that I purchase a barrel and magazine to use it as a .40? The 9mm slide/recoil spring, etc. will work with the .40 barrel?

thanks again!
rjb
What it is saying is if you went further and got an additional .40 X-Change kit, then you could convert to .357 by just getting a .357 barrel, or vice versa, and have 4 calibers (.22LR, 9mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig). The .40 and .357 P229 slides are the same but the 9mm is different, which is why you can't convert it to .40 with just a .40 barrel and mags.

·
Registered
56,248 Posts
What it is saying is if you went further and got an additional .40 X-Change kit, then you could convert to .357 by just getting a .357 barrel, or vice versa, and have 4 calibers (.22LR, 9mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig). The .40 and .357 P229 slides are the same but the 9mm is different, which is why you can't convert it to .40 with just a .40 barrel and mags.
thank you for the decoding.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Also, in case nobody's mentioned it, if you decide to go this buying a .22 Sig first route again, you could save an expenditure on the 9mm slide by purchasing either a .40 S&W or a .357 SIG X-change kit, then simply buying a Sig 9mm drop-in barrel (or a conversion 9mm barrel for some Sigs) that is compatible with the larger slide. Or if you don't care about the .22, just make sure to buy a .40 or .357 SIG, then you can buy just drop-in factory barrels (usually).

This should help:

Attachments

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
thanks, that's a nice chart.

That's member PD's, not mine. He put a lot of time and effort into it. There may be a later version, but this is essentially the same...neither is obsolete.

The later incarnation advises a couple guns that you can/should use the 9mm springs for...basically if the springs are different parts numbers between the .40/.357 and the stock 9mm, default to the 9mm spring if you're using a 9mm barrel. Also, even though some mags seem to work for all calibers, if you're going to carry with a 9mm barrel, it's probably best you use a stock 9mm magazine, as your life may depend upon it. For the range though, my .40 P239 mags should be good to go. Also obvious would be to carry the .357 SIG round for SD whenever possible..I know I will be.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
That's member PD's, not mine. He put a lot of time and effort into it. There may be a later version, but this is essentially the same...neither is obsolete.

The later incarnation advises a couple guns that you can/should use the 9mm springs for...basically if the springs are different parts numbers between the .40/.357 and the stock 9mm, default to the 9mm spring if you're using a 9mm barrel. Also, even though some mags seem to work for all calibers, if you're going to carry with a 9mm barrel, it's probably best you use a stock 9mm magazine, as your life may depend upon it. For the range though, my .40 P239 mags should be good to go. Also obvious would be to carry the .357 SIG round for SD whenever possible..I know I will be.
If the chart updated on March 29, 2015, were limited to the changes you mention above, I would tend to agree that the original, published with a record date of December 29, 2013, is not obsolete. In fact, it is very likely, there would have been no change made to the chart to capture these minor changes. There is, however, a rather substantial update in the P226 conversion section of the chart. The OEM P226 9mm barrels, it has been discovered, will, in fact, fit and function just fine in the P226 40 S&W and 357 SIG slides. That section has been modified to show this fact and remove the statement that a conversion barrel is required.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts