SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! I need advice! P229 for P320?

6K views 45 replies 43 participants last post by  WhiteB0rd 
#1 ·
Background: The P229 was my first ever gun when I got my carry license (paid 975 b4 tax). I bought it because 1) at the time I was more comfortable with carrying a hammer fired gun without manual safety, 2) My slave state has 10 round capacity law, but it is fine with having pre-ban mags, 3) I liked the looks and fill of it. The issues I stated noticing with the P229 was 1) the long tigger reset, 2) Night sights were lousy in the day time, 3) high bore axis (too much muzzle flip for my liking). Since noticing these issues I have installed the SRT Trigger kit (trigger rest is now like a slice of heaven), I have also put some trijicon HD night sight on there to make day time shooting better. The only thing I can't fix is that high bore axis. I'm quit sentimental about this gun.

Problem: I want the P320 X Carry but my slave state has a rooster of approved firearms and it's not technically on there. I also don't want to spend additional money. So I am considering trading or selling the P229 for a P320. After doing so I would buy an X Carry frame and install the P320 trigger chassis and slide on the X Carry frame.

Question: would trading or selling a P229 for regular P320 be worth it? Should I just wait to get more money and have both? PS I know the P229 is the superior gun, but that bore axis and its controllability has been bothering me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm assuming you're shooting 9mm. But the P320 has a bit of flip to it as well...try before you buy. That gun is commonplace, so finding a range to test fire it should be relatively easy. I wouldn't buy an X-Carry gun, frame or otherwise, just a standard grip module should do nicely and a standard P320 with Siglites or if daytime shooting is your preference, the standard 3 dot sights (read: contrast sights) will work well. Save your money and have custom stippling done to a standard grip module to enhance your control. My .02.
P.S. No, don't trade your P229.

#7 ·
While I love shooting both guns I agree with bblr. No way you should consider trading your P229 for a P320. Be patient. Save and then dive in to a P320.

#5 ·
Hello and welcome 2A, I would not trade or sell a P229 in order to get a 320. I admit I may be just a bit biased in favor of the P229s though :rolleyes:

Beginning in the '80s, I've owned a number of SIGs, carried a SIG full time for several years, was a SIG armorer, firearms instructor, etc. IMHO, concerns about the SIG's high bore axis are much overblown.....ymmv

Attachments

#14 ·
gotta agree with you on this. the "high bore axis" is just a mental thing. pull up a youtube vid on 229s and thats all you here high bore axis. put it this way if the so called high bore axis was such a big problem then i can say 100% with out doubt that the military, police, cia, secrete servive, doarder patrol, should i go on? wouldnt be using that firarm as a duty weapon. the muzzle flip on a 229 is no different than the muzzle flip on a glock 19. im getting tired of people going on and on about this mythical high bore axis garbage, just trian with the gun. the chances of you ever needing to use in a self defense application are pretty close to zero

#8 ·
Another vote for keep. If you must spend money, get a .22 kit and train a lot. Bore axis may have some benefit for match shooters that measure victory in thousandths of a second. For the rest of us, it along with trigger reset does not matter much.

You started with the best, I can't see downgrading to the least common denominator being an improvement.

#11 ·
I have a 229 in .40 S&W and a 320 carry in 9mm. They are completely different feeling & shooting guns. I love them both. Keep the 229 and get the 320 when you can. I also just got a 365, but have not shot it yet due to the weather and no indoor ranges in my area.

Reactions: bumper
#12 ·
Do you want the X Carry, for its ability to take a red dot sight should you desire it? If that's the case, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

As the others have mentioned, why get rid of your P229, because chances are as a "trade in", you will "lose" money, and later, trying to buy another due to "regret", you'll likely spend more, than you got for the one you currently have.

Another member recently was desiring the X Carry, but thought the front sight was "useless" if using a Red Dot, since it didn't correlate to the notch in the rear of the Romeo 1. Seeing the prices, between the X Carry, and the RX model 320s, I don't understand why someone wouldn't prefer the RX with both sighting options, rather than the X Carry, with the either/or sight option, at only $90 more, and including the optical sight.

Is a "Mini-Beavertail" worth that much?

Since you have already felt the "rapid reset" with the SRT in your P229, can you really compare it with common consistent pull of the 320? Another Apples and Oranges comparison. It all boils down to the primary use of the firearm, if it's going to be for fun and games, the 320 may be a better choice, but for defense my money is on a DA/SA design for the needed long pull first shot as being "deliberate", while quick and short follow up shot being quickly available if needed.

Good Luck, with your decision!

#13 ·
A P229 for a 320? I wish you were near me:cool:

If gun guys thought like this in 1944 we would all be speaking German today:eek:

Someone go up to that commie state and slap this poor fellow.
He has done lost his mind
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
While I kid there is much truth in what I say so noooooooo

#16 ·
I would.
Of course I would dump the 20 320s cheap and buy 3-4 P229s or maybe 2 P229s and a NIB 1993 P228 but I get your point in the real world I want a p229 and not a P320.

I have shot a couple duty P320s as some local PDs have gone that route and they like them and I certainly shot them well enough but I can drive a Hyundai well enough but you can be sure I won't be trading my E320 for a Sonata

#17 ·
Having both, I do prefer the 229. While I respect the 320 because it brought me into the world of Sig, its not their greatest offering. I wanted something not glock and young and dumb me was set on striker fired. Im not saying the 320 is garbage, its indeed a great firearm. All drop fire jokes aside, the 229 is just that much better. I like the grip and weight of the 229. I want a gun that I know is there not something so light I "forget its there" My suggestion: Save up for a 320 they are starting to sell here used for sub $400.

#18 ·
Gotta agree with the general consensus. You would be burning yourself if you made that trade. Even if you got the 320 +$500, that’s still only about an even swap. My recommendation would be to rent or borrow a 320 to shoot. If you like it, bide your time, put together $500 & buy one, but don’t ditch your 229. You would regret it

#19 ·
I hate to pile on here, and obviously the choice is yours, but since you asked. I own both. P229 was also my first gun and while i have both a 226 and 239 I shoot better, I still wouldn't part with it. The 320 is a nice gun. But it is certainly not a 229. Without knowing your financial situation and how many firearms you'd like to have around the house, I would advice saving up for the 320 to compliment the 229. I definitely wouldn't trade straight up unless there was a major sweetener (bunch of mags, holster, etc or a few hundred bucks).

At the end of the day, its your decision though.

#20 ·
I would recommend some experimentation with your grip, perhaps changing out the grips if you are having a hard time. I have a P229 and it is easily one of the most recoil-devouring setups I have ever shot. What kind of grips do you have on it? Have you changed out the guide rod for a solid stainless one?

Either way, I would not trade without a significant kickback, either in cash or ammo or something useful. Value isn't even close to equal unless that P229 has been poorly maintained.

#21 ·
I own a 229-1 in 9mm, and love it! I briefly owned a 320. When I found someone who would pay what I had in it, I jumped on that deal, and sold it.

I'll go buy it back, trade you, and still be $$$ ahead.

There are two new 320s at my LGS that they can't give away at their price. A consignment (9mm, updated, night sites, 3 mags) sold for $350.

#22 ·
The first time I pulled the trigger on a 320 I thought that it seemed just like my Gamo air rifle. Haven’t touched one since.

At one time I was all wound up about bore axis, then I learned how to hold a pistol properly.

Never trade or sell your 229, never.

If you think you need a low bore axis, go and by the best Glock out there, a Steyr.

#24 ·
I own both. I shoot the 320 better.

If you can afford to own both, then do that.

If you can't, then test out a 320 and then go with the one you shoot better. The purpose of a gun is to put bullets where you're aiming. If you happen to do that better with the 320, then that's your answer.

#25 ·
I am a die-hard DA/SA metal kinda guy. As I have learned much from the valuable members of this site, most of which are expert enablers, I will throw yet another option your way - keep the P229, forget about the 320, and find yourself another P229 (SAS or M11-A1) to satisfy your signess! Interchangeable magazines are value-added inventory.

#26 ·
I would not trade my 229 for many (any?) other handgun. That said I can understand why someone in a restricted state could be tempted to do so. That is in fact why the 250 was made to begin with--to provide shooters in countries (European) that restrict firearms ownership to one weapon an option to own various calibers and frame sizes. From that standpoint it would be an ideal choice.

#27 ·
I have a p320 carry 9mm I bought on 3/9/18 brand new and after shooting the 229 9mm I am going to sell the 320 which is a very good shooting gun but not as good as the 229! The 229 is a fantastic shooting gun! I have the 320 for sale locally for $500.00 as of this week.

#30 ·
No way !!

My son was considering buying my friends 320RX. He asked to shoot it first so we went to the range. After shooting it, he said he didn’t like it. I thought perhaps I might buy it instead, so I ran a couple of mags through it. I had to agree with my son and we both passed on it.

I’ll stick with my 226RX and my M11-A1.

Save your pennies. Don’t trade your pistol.

Just my opinion.

#31 ·
I own two P229s and two P320s.

I would not sell or trade a P229 to get a P320.

I do not appreciate any difference in the barrel height ("bore axis") of the P229 and the P320. My P320 compact 9 mm comes back on target as quickly or quicker than my Glock 19 does and seems to manage recoil just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.