SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am TonyMA, a still very professionally active techie living near Boston, although with a brand-new Medicare card in my wallet :D. After many years of just thinking about it, I followed my family's deep hunting traditions and decided to act--and just got my MA LTC today. Now I can finally go Sig-shopping!

We in MA have a much easier job picking a handgun than most US citizens, because the Commonwealth enormously simplified that pleasant task for its citizens; the only choices among P226 and P229 are listed as P226, P226 Rail, P226 Stainless and P229, whatever that strange list means; no Elite and many, many other models available to most of you.

I have long ago set my sights on the P226RM-BSS 9mm (M = MA approved, with a LCI), but after reading a lot of posts, including this very helpful forum, and trying various guns at a range, I have really started wavering and thinking of buying a P229, instead of P226, mostly due to its lower weight and smaller size--and, it seems, an equivalent performance. Both guns felt super comfy and fitting well in my and my wife's hands, so the choice has to based on different factors.

The two of us are planning to do mostly recreational target shooting at a range, maybe with some (well selected... it's MA after all!) friends. I would appreciate any advice from this very experienced group on any pro and contras to help me choose between these two models, especially taking our plans into account.

Also, is it really worth to order an Action Enhancement and/or Short Reset Trigger Packages from the nearby Sig custom shop right away, or is it an overkill for a brand-new gun? I am going to order night sights and E2 grips, but am also thinking of adding those beautiful dark rosewood grips (for looks only...). Finally, maybe a trigger guard-mounted laser (no light)--does it make sense and will it improve or speed up our training at a range? No plinking permitted in our local forests...

馃帠USA Veteran Premium Member
Welcome to another old guy from MA, from a old guy in Florida

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am TonyMA, a still very professionally active techie living near Boston, although with a brand-new Medicare card in my wallet :D. After many years of just thinking about it, I followed my family's deep hunting traditions and decided to act--and just got my MA LTC today. Now I can finally go Sig-shopping!

We in MA have a much easier job picking a handgun than most US citizens, because the Commonwealth enormously simplified that pleasant task for its citizens; the only choices among P226 and P229 are listed as P226, P226 Rail, P226 Stainless and P229, whatever that strange list means; no Elite and many, many other models available to most of you.

I have long ago set my sights on the P226RM-BSS 9mm (M = MA approved, with a LCI), but after reading a lot of posts, including this very helpful forum, and trying various guns at a range, I have really started wavering and thinking of buying a P229, instead of P226, mostly due to its lower weight and smaller size--and, it seems, an equivalent performance. Both guns felt super comfy and fitting well in my and my wife's hands, so the choice has to based on different factors.

The two of us are planning to do mostly recreational target shooting at a range, maybe with some (well selected... it's MA after all!) friends. I would appreciate any advice from this very experienced group on any pro and contras to help me choose between these two models, especially taking our plans into account.

Also, is it really worth to order an Action Enhancement and/or Short Reset Trigger Packages from the nearby Sig custom shop right away, or is it an overkill for a brand-new gun? I am going to order night sights and E2 grips, but am also thinking of adding those beautiful dark rosewood grips (for looks only...). Finally, maybe a trigger guard-mounted laser (no light)--does it make sense and will it improve or speed up our training at a range? No plinking permitted in our local forests...
Welcome from NH
I would need to ask your skill set in hand gunning to answer the SRT and enhancement package I have the SRT but I do find that you can really get ahead of yourself when shooting due to the extremely short reset I have been shooting for 30 years and still find one getting away from me every now and again nothing major but let's say just a flyer which we all have. If you haven't shot a lot I would keep the standard trigger for a while which I might add is a pretty good trigger and if you feel the need for the SRT get it at a later date. As for the enhancement package I would break the gun in basically they buff all the components to simulate around 5000 rounds so everything is smooth and meshed together I had it done on my stainless because the tolerances on the stainless guns are so tight. Good luck and safe shooting

馃帠USA Veteran
i worked in both mass & nh for digital equipment, putting up traffic reports for joe green, leaving for sunny az in early '82.

from 25 below to 118 was a test the 1st summer.

get a 229 with the srt, sas version could be sweet for you.

welcome from az

Registered
Welcome from SE VA.. :D

Registered
Welcome from Fla. Thank you for your perserverance to be a carry person from MA. They don't make life easy. I have a 229 non rail, that I had SIG do both. I think that if it came about again I would just do the AEP. The reset is not that long normally. I have a m-11 that has the SRT and no problems with it,but the 229 if I'm not REAL careful,I'll get one unintentional extra. Just be careful and train,train and train some more. Have a great time!

Registered
Wekcime!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was wondering the same, but accepted it in good faith... 鈽

Thanks all, I'm counting on your advice!

Registered
Welcome from Las Vegas!

Premium Member
Welcome from Northern VA!

Sent from my iPad using Outdoor Forums

Registered
Hi Tony,

I also live in MA and have both a SIG P226R and P938. I got the P938 as the P226 isn't concealable IMHO. As far as triggers go, I thought I wanted the SRT, but having just 10 rounds in the magazine, I'm in no rush. If you want to get some fun, Sig offers a half day course called long range pistol shooting for $100 at their Epping, NH facility. My first time shooting from 100 yds. They also give you a discount at their pro shop for taking a course, which is a better discount for long rifles than handguns. You are better off buying a handgun in MA due to the shipping&transfer fees. Check out Four Seasons in Woburn...good inventory & prices.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.