SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
A picture is better than a litany of words. My P229 Nitron slide was refinished last September through Sig to their sub-contractor. I do not recall the name of the company but understand it is just down the road from Sig and does all of Sig's Nitron work. The turn around time was less than a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes call and set it up over the phone and they will get you squared away. I believe there is an email form on the website as well if you rather initiate contact through email.

Has anyone ever had them do a frame? I know they say on the sheet that they won't but I have one that I believe must have had moisture in it as it is flaking off in odd areas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Yes call and set it up over the phone and they will get you squared away. I believe there is an email form on the website as well if you rather initiate contact through email.

Has anyone ever had them do a frame? I know they say on the sheet that they won't but I have one that I believe must have had moisture in it as it is flaking off in odd areas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
They won't refinish frames, but if you have a warranty issue call them and see how they offer to handle it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
SIG can also bead blast a Nitron slide and return it to a Natural Stainless slide.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Call me crazy, but I find it hard to cough up $99 for a Nitron job when the guy down the road Cerakotes slides with heat bake stuff for $35 per.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Call me crazy, but I find it hard to cough up $99 for a Nitron job when the guy down the road Cerakotes slides with heat bake stuff for $35 per.
You get what you pay for.

Reactions: Starck and jeff s

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
SIGs are like owning a BMW or a Porsche.

Nothing is low priced, but the rewards of driving or shooting gives you much satisfaction.

Reactions: Barrier

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
My decision would go the other way on that every time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
IonBond is the subcontractor, and "Nitron" is a DLC coating, probably IonBond's Tribobond Series 40 W DLC coating, or something close to it.

(Gunsmiths usually charge $200-300 to have a pistol sent to IonBond for one of their DLC coatings)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Been eyeing a P245 at a LGS but it has some pitting in some spots. Slide and maybe frame.

What kind of refinishing options do I have?

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
Been eyeing a P245 at a LGS but it has some pitting in some spots. Slide and maybe frame.

SIG will refinish (re-blue) the slide but won't touch the frame. For that you have to go elsewhere for some type of coating. I had CCR refinish a P245 frame and extra slide with their version of ceracoat. Came out nice.

Beware of anyone offering to re-anodize the frame; that requires stripping the original anodize layer which risks opening up critical dimensions because of the material loss.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts

Unless I'm wrong, the 245 uses a carbon steel "folded" slide. In most cases they could "bead blast" it with fine granulation sand to get any rust from the bottom of the pits. Then do a "hot blue" refinish, with a matte luster due to the bead blasting. This would be necessary, to rid it of any pre-existing rust, since it is easy for it to "creep". Besides bluing, you could go to a non standard phosphate finish, (Parkerizing) which holds oil a little better than bluing, to make it a little more rust resistant. You also have the choice to also plate the carbon steel slide, but again you need to get rid of any present rust, or the finish will start to develop problems, as nothing adheres to rust for very long. That includes "coating" type finishes!
The newer model 220 "Compact", uses a stainless steel milled forging, that has had the Nitron treatment. Contrary to some common misconceptions, stainless steel is not "rust proof"... only "rust resistant".

·
Registered
256 Posts

If the gun is Cold War era and you "don't" want to keep the petina, send it in. Anything newer, cerakote it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts