SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my metal shroud from sig Romeo zero today. When I told them I purchased the romeo zero, they offered to send me the metal shroud for free. I like free!

It arrived today but looks fairly large. I'm waiting to install it until after my holster arrives from alien gear. Have any of you added the shroud? Did it require rezeroing the sight? Does it add a lot to the profile of the sight?

Thanks....

·
Registered
162 Posts
While I cannot speak about the Romeo zero specially, if it’s like the romeo1pro you will need to remove the RDS to install the shroud as it mounts under the optic between the slide. So you will need to re zero and also be aware to properly torque the screws during reinstalling. Also be aware that the fit of your holster can be impacted with the shroud If it is formed to fit around the RDS because the shroud will overhang in front of and off the sides of the base plate. I had a leather holster for my p320 from Sig fitted for a Romeo1p that fit perfect until I added the shroud. Enjoy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I can see it adds a lot more bulk to the profile, which is why I'm waiting until the holster shell arrives to prefit it. I may just go without the shroud if it's too much of an interference fit. Guess sig was trying to keep costs down by going with polymer, but sometimes the better quality route as opposed to the cheapest highest profit margin is better, at least for us consumers it is.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Can't believe the height added to the rear internal sight will do much for the co-witness unless they gave you a new higher front sight.

~1/16" is a country mile with that short of a sight picture.

Will be interesting to see how it impacts shots.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yeah, I can see it adds a lot more bulk to the profile, which is why I'm waiting until the holster shell arrives to prefit it. I may just go without the shroud if it's too much of an interference fit. Guess sig was trying to keep costs down by going with polymer, but sometimes the better quality route as opposed to the cheapest highest profit margin is better, at least for us consumers it is.
I'm hoping SIG will eventually have a Romeo Zero PRO to upgrade.
Meanwhile....My new Aluminum body-Glass lens Holosun 407K will have to serve as my upgrade. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't believe the height added to the rear internal sight will do much for the co-witness unless they gave you a new higher front sight.

~1/16" is a country mile with that short of a sight picture.

Will be interesting to see how it impacts shots.
Come to think of it, you have a great idea. There should be a slightly higher front sight too. Here's a Pic of the shroud, you can see it will add maybe .035 to .040 height to the rear. Not sure if I want to add it yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
you don't add it, you throw it in the garbage.

I run 2 Romeo pro's in USPSA very well and they work great on my 226 and my x5 legion.

The shroud has a somewhat uneven and slippery surface and is rather ill fitting, in order to keep the zero you have to torque very hard and even then the platform is not as stable as it would be when fitting the Romeo straight on the slide. The shroud as an extra obstruction to your eye, it messes up your co-wittness and adds no additional value. My pros run hard and they have never been hit by brass or anything else. Also the idea of racking your slide on a table corner, belt or other is also just plain wrong. That's what combat guns are for.

Sig: I love your guns but this shroud just isn't functional.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oysterer, I agree with you. After seeing the shroud, without even putting it on the gun, I could see it's not a good fit.

When I spoke to sig about getting one, I asked if I needed longer screws. They said no, use what came with the sight. After looking at the sight, I could see the screws should also have been longer to compensate for the added thickness of the shroud. This is why it's sitting on the bench and not mounted to the gun.

You're absolutely correct, it's an aftermarket fix that just wasn't well thought out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sig sent me an entire replacement Romeo Zero including the shroud. Should be here Tuesday. My fist Romeo Zero lens was scratched to hell after a few range sessions and carrying everyday. They sent me my replacement for free under warranty. They told me the shroud helps protect the lens. Will see

1 - 9 of 9 Posts