SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Hard Chrome finish

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BloodyThumb 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with hard chrome? I have a HK USP that I'm thinking about having the slide and barrel done with a matte hard chrome finish.

I've never had a gun hard chromed so I'd like to hear anyone's experience, especially with durability. Pictures are also appreciated.

#2 ·
When I was heavy into Cowboy Mounted Action Shooting, which uses .45 caliber black powder blank cartridges in single-action revolvers to bust balloons from horseback, I had a Colt Single Action Army hard-chromed by Ford's. All of the firearms (revolvers, shotguns, and rifles) take a lot of abuse from the black powder, especially the pistols as they are used the most. I found the hard chrome (I specified bright chrome) made cleaning the revolver much easier, and you could even wait awhile before cleaning without having to worry about corrosion. I never had any yellowing or chipping of the finish, even in the bore and chambers. If hard chrome will withstand the abuse of high-pressure 5.56 ammunition in the chambers and bore of automatic weapons, it should work for you.

#7 ·
I had a couple guns hard chromed, and a couple more with hard chromed frames. Hard chrome is the toughest, hardest, easiest to clean finish I have yet used. One gun I had hard chromed over 40 years ago is still in the family, and still looks about the same a it did back then. More recently, factory barrels in a couple of my guns have that DLC finish. I have little experience with it, but that too is obviously very hard, and shows practically no detectible wear after hundreds of rounds...

#10 ·
I have a Wilson 130 Master Grade that I bought in 1983 that is matte or satin hard chrome. I shot IPSC and then IDPA with it. It was "refurbed" (slide tightened, bushing replaced, etc. NO finish work needed) once about '95 and I still shoot it on occasion. With a new set of grip panels it looks ALMOST as good as it did new. Nothing I have ever had outlasted or outperformed hard chrome when done right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.