SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
A good set of quality roll pin punches.
A 4oz ball pin hammer.
A small rubber mallet.
A magnification visor (hands free) and good safety glasses.

That will get you started.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
It depends on what exactly you have, and what you feel comfortable in doing. If you aren't mechanically inclined, then I would suggest the bare minimum.

This is the "Tool Kit" that is sold by Brownells. It explains what a lot of the tools are for, and things such as the sight tool may not be necessary, and is a big chunk of the cost, as is the priciest of the tools.

SIG Kit Tools, No Box : BROWNELLS TOOL KIT FOR SIG HANDGUNS | Brownells

A lot of these tools may be found at a hardware store, or auto parts supplier. Items, such as the Sig Combo tool, which are good for several operations, will need to be ordered from a place like Brownells, MidwayUSA, or from Top Gun Supply.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
This seems to come up about twice a year, a very good question if you don't know, I hope someone makes this a sticky here in the Gunsmithing Forum.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
How much do you want to spend and how far do you want to go? The other thing is what all do you have that you want to work on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a complete set of screwdriver bits and handles from Brownells many years ago and use them frequently. If there is one tool I could not do without it is this set. Lasts, I hope, a lifetime and prevents buggering screwheads.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
One item rarely mentioned but worth their weight in gold is a 2 gallon zip lock bag. The bag is large enough that you can get a handgun and both hands into it to work comfortably. Being clear, it is easy enough to see what it is you are doing. Then, when the inevitable happens, a spring goes flying, you have it contained and don't need to call the rescue squad to find the missing spring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One item rarely mentioned but worth their weight in gold is a 2 gallon zip lock bag. The bag is large enough that you can get a handgun and both hands into it to work comfortably. Being clear, it is easy enough to see what it is you are doing. Then, when the inevitable happens, a spring goes flying, you have it contained and don't need to call the rescue squad to find the missing spring.
This has saved me many times, especially with my P238 safety springs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'll second the need for a good visor....mine is made by Optivisor and has changeable lens set. mine is over 40 years old, so it is durable.
A good small vise [no brand recommendation]. mine came from Amazon for about $35.
a sturdy sack to put all your parts in to take to the gunsmith when you are absolutely stymied. kidding of course, but I had to do that one time with a Savage Model 99.....the brass magazine rotor completely buffaloed me. Embarrassing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great idea!

·
Registered
649 Posts
great ideas, I would add to that list a good light or desk lamp that you can direct on your work area.
Or a good wife to hold the flashlight:cool:

·
Registered
649 Posts
An absolute must.

It has saved my butt on several occasions. Mine is large enough (I guess it is at least 2 gallons) to fit over my Bisley vise holding the gun frame, and with my left hand inside the bag with whatever tool).

·
Registered
15,564 Posts
It depends on what exactly you have, and what you feel comfortable in doing. If you aren't mechanically inclined, then I would suggest the bare minimum.

This is the "Tool Kit" that is sold by Brownells. It explains what a lot of the tools are for, and things such as the sight tool may not be necessary, and is a big chunk of the cost, as is the priciest of the tools.

SIG Kit Tools, No Box : BROWNELLS TOOL KIT FOR SIG HANDGUNS | Brownells

A lot of these tools may be found at a hardware store, or auto parts supplier. Items, such as the Sig Combo tool, which are good for several operations, will need to be ordered from a place like Brownells, MidwayUSA, or from Top Gun Supply.
Wish I would have seen that earlier.
Unless You plan on switching out a lot of Sights, I'd delete the Sight Removal tool.
That would ct the price about half.

I purchased My stuff from Brownells earlier this year.
The Sig Tool was the best $40.00 I ever spent. also got the Hammer ,3mm Long Cup Tip Punch,#4 Roll Pin Punch 1/8,565 Pin Punch 1/16 and 3mm Short Cuo Tip Punch #8.

Guess I'll have to look at the list and add the other items.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I'll second the need for a good visor....mine is made by Optivisor and has changeable lens set. mine is over 40 years old, so it is durable.
A good small vise [no brand recommendation]. mine came from Amazon for about $35.
The original "Versa Vise" went out of production long ago, though they can be found in two styles on eBay, they can be pricey. A good copy is the "Parrot Vise" on Amazon. Just remember this in not a vise you can wail away on with a hammer, though it is strong enough for all gunsmithing needs I've run into. You will need to buy or make pads for the jaw. I use 1/8" UHMW sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3125-Parrot-Vise/dp/B0000DD4ZU

·
Registered
649 Posts
The original "Versa Vise" went out of production long ago, though they can be found in two styles on eBay, they can be pricey. A good copy is the "Parrot Vise" on Amazon. Just remember this in not a vise you can wail away on with a hammer, though it is strong enough for all gunsmithing needs I've run into. You will need to buy or make pads for the jaw. I use 1/8" UHMW sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3125-Parrot-Vise/dp/B0000DD4ZU

That's a good solution for a gunsmith vise IF you have a dedicated workbench for guns .. because that vice has to be bolted to the surface. Real easy to find magnetic padded jaws.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...id=kwd-57071709550&ref=pd_sl_3it3eebdmj_b_p19

I do all my gun work indoors in my office, so I am limited to a clamp-on vice that attaches to my desk pull-out 3/4" work surface.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is good information! I honestly never thought of doing this. Just the other day I was cleaning my wife's P238 and was installing the safety lever when the detent and spring went flying. Took me an hour and vacuuming 5-10 times to find everything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts