SIG Talk banner

GunSafe App

3610 30
So I have tried several of the apps available for phones to catalog/document my weapons. BY FAR the best (for me) has been GunSafe. I had backed up the data recently and changed phones yesterday and all of my data was safe and secure right were I had left it. It stores name/model/s# as well as photos and has other features I don't use like cleaning schedule and even # of shots fired. I have been taking a pic of each weapon with the Serial # and also (when possible) the label on the boxes with all the little details and (when I have them) the receipt. I have used for a few years now and find it to be handy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sevenbit.firearmenator&hl=en
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like the app myself but lost data in a recent phone switch. How are you backing it up and have you been able to get it to store the data onto the SD card?

I know theres a backup and export to csv function but I store a lot of photos (or at least used too) to the app) so the file was to large to email anywhere. I take and store pictures of my range session targets also

I dont know why there doesnt seem to be an option to store the data to an SD card

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm old fashioned. I do not find any app that sends that type of detailed information to the cloud or company servers, to be anything I am interested in using. Hey you are not paranoid if "they" really are out to get you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm old fashioned. I do not find any app that sends that type of detailed information to the cloud or company servers,
This does not send information anywhere. The info is stored on your phone device (just not to the sd card where I would like)

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
^ how sure of that are you? I recently saw that wireless headphones of all things sends back data.....

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
Reactions: JWA

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
GunSafe App - or ANY app that details my firearms on a phone is a non-starter for me.

I know a little about technology and security, what can be secured reasonably and what can't.

Details about my firearms are not on any device that connects to any outside service.

Reactions: JWA

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
Sounds like my Excel spreadsheet. ;)
I can keep the file locally, which I do, or I can copy it to the Cloud. I even inserted photos that correspond to the firearm listed.
Me too! And when I summed up the replacement cost for everything...it was all I could do to keep from puking my guts out! :eek:

And when I totaled the cost of all the magazines??? Man I was really sick!

I may be having a "no-fire fire sale" soon. :(

Reactions: Blu and SlySleuth

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Me too! And when I summed up the replacement cost for everything...it was all I could do to keep from puking my guts out! :eek:

Yeah - the sum was surprising, but probably not as high as some of the others on this forum. I think I will follow (steal ;)) your idea and also inventory/price mags!

·
Banned
7,265 Posts

Something about spending most of my money on women and guns....the rest I wasted. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
GunSafe App - or ANY app that details my firearms on a phone is a non-starter for me.

I know a little about technology and security, what can be secured reasonably and what can't.

Details about my firearms are not on any device that connects to any outside service.
How much detail you put in the app is totally up to you. I am a software developer and as far as I can tell no data is being exported but thats not to say it definitely cant happen.

Again whether you decide to keep a detailed inventory of all your weapons and serial numbers in the app is totally personal choice. What I personally love about the app is being able to log maintenance records, keep range logs as to how many rounds I've fired through each of my guns, which may have had any type of malfunction as well as taking pics and storing each of the targets I've shot.

The app has a nice feature that even analyzes your shot groups and points out errors in the shooting. Another neat feature is it tracks your ammo totals if you want it too

Reactions: Beefstews

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,250 Posts
For me it is an inventory, nothing more or nothing less. It is included with my whole house inventory. I update it every three months and keep it on a thumb drive. I make two hard copies, one for my son's safe and one in ours. It is in a word table.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I've made my living working as an Electronic Engineer/Software Engineer primarily for government agencies, primarily Homeland Security these days, and can tell you that there are ways to store your data on your phone safely where it can be backed up. As others have mentioned, you can use Excel or any other spreadsheet program, or you can use Database programs or even a word processor. It's limited by your imagination.

If you use an iPhone, backing up the data to your home computer or wherever else you want is easy thru iTunes or other ways that are again limited by your imagination.

I keep my complete inventory of guns and their descriptions on my phone and back it up regularly as I add to it pretty regularly.

To get to it, you'd have to:

1. Brute force my password as even my mother could never guess it. To further complicate matters, if you guess wrong 10 times, the phone auto erases.

2. Get into the main program where my data exists. Another password and since it's pretty long, it's doubtful you'd make it inside of a few years.

3. Open the document containing my date. Yet another lengthy password taking a lot of time.

4. And while you're doing all this, all I have to do is go into one website, iCloud, and give a command to erase the phone, something that takes less than 30 seconds.

It's secure enough if you put some thought into it.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
The ammo totals reminded me to mention something else I have in my phone.

I'm a pretty large scale reloader and I carry a complete inventory of all my powder, primers, bullets and wads in my phone.

I also carry a complete inventory of all the magazines I have by manufacturer and capacity.

I also carry an up to date PDF of the burn rates of all available powders.

With all this, whenever I'm out and about and run across a deal I can see if I need it or not.

It's paid off on numerous occasions, most recently when an acquaintance offered me 11K of CCI small pistol primers for 10K of Winchester small pistol primers.

It seems his STI guns don't always set off the CCI's on the first attempt but Winchesters do. He probably needs a stronger mainspring.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I list all my guns with serial #s and rounds fired from each by date and month as well as dates cleaned. It also allows you to add comments to your shooting each time and a picture of the gun. Its on Glock ID. Its a great site. The password to get into your safe on the computer is a 4 digit number of your choice.

Reactions: PhillySoldier
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.