SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am going to do a project on gun rights. I am having a hard time convincing my anti-gun teacher that this will be actually a project where I will have many hours logged into it. She thinks that I am just going to be looking at guns the entire time. I am one for putting the positive spotlight on the gun community. I think that this project will help me learn even more about gun rights and gun control.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you need more information around the intent of your "project". What class/course is this for, at what level of education?

The level of research is vastly different for something like a speech class versus a language composition class..

Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go to a project based charter school. We are allowed to come up with our own projects. I am a sophomore (10th) in high school. I will be presenting this project to my school and the community.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't mean to sound obnoxious, but let me be blunt. From what you have written here so far I can understand why your teacher would not be convinced. You haven't mentioned what your project will be about besides "gun rights". You need a more specific topic.

For example;

Popular misconceptions about firearms in America as propagated by American media

This topic could demonstrate some outright lies told by the media, debunked with facts. Also could show where the media has been misleading Americans.

Or

The history of the Second Amendment

Gun grabbers like to spin the 2A as being about hunting which it absolutely is NOT. You could read about the Founders and the Federalist Papers to see the origins of the 2A.

Just some ideas, I'm sure there are many other angles you could take. My point is you need an much less vague topic than "gun rights".

And remember you are fighting an uphill battle here...most involved in education are liberal and often engage in propaganda themselves to "shape" young minds to be good little "progressive" subjects.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I go to a project based charter school. We are allowed to come up with our own projects. I am a sophomore (10th) in high school. I will be presenting this project to my school and the community.
Awesome! So next question is.. What aspect of gun rights are you most interested in? Awareness, advocacy, politics, the reality of knee-jerk legislation in response to dramatic events?

Here's an interesting one.. Where you think gun rights will be 50 years from now.

Edit: Other options include doing a compare/contrast of gun rights in the U.S. versus other countries. Or, perhaps a history of gun rights as established and evolved. Or the economic impact of the firearms industry in the U.S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that Popular misconceptions about firearms in America as propagated by American media is a great idea. Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Leftists don't operate out of logic, your project can be factually sound and your instructor will not care. You are going to have to throw in some emotion into it. Korea comes to mind, lots of people being butchered there right now and none of them have guns to defend themselves with and the international community does nothing. In that case are guns evil? Yes, when in the hands of the government and not the people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts