SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We here in New Mexico defeated some of the most egregious firearms legislation I've seen in the 20 plus years I've been a firearms lobbyist.

We were under attack from Bloomberg financed Everytown/Moms Demand Action anti-firearms "activists" [they're really not activists - they're paid political hacks, many of whom were not even from NM] this past legislative session.

If you're interested, here are a few of the bills they were pushing for.

SB 48
HB 50
HB 548

Gun rights activists are on a political roll with four recent wins | Fox News

There were also a few other states that had great success in protecting our Second Amendment.

For those of you that took time to help - thank you.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
For the record, btw, this is how issues like these should be met and defeated. Not by running to the federal government. I appreciate these efforts. This (i.e. the State) is the best place to address them.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
GCBHM is probably right. Going to the State house and pushing the changes you need is going to be piece work, but is more likely to get done. The federal Government is not the most successful of beasts in accomplishing things, and usually wants to "Assign" some agency to "Properly Regulate" the situation.
Which usually is the reverse of the Legislative intent.

In Virginia, we are blessed with one of the most active firearms advocate groups. And I send them a check once a month. (Not a big one, but what I can afford. More like what the subscription to the local newspapers would cost me.)

You can make that sort of thing pretty easily.

Reactions: iGeorg and GCBHM

·
Registered
305 Posts
What helped us a lot, was that all 33 Sheriffs were against the bills. And most, if not all made the trip to the round house. I was able to go only one day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Steve for your advocacy on behalf of the citizens of your state and other states that benefit from seeing attacks on the Constitutional rights of citizens being struck down.
We live in a state where the legislature is overwhelmingly anti gun and anti 2A. As soon as our kids are off on their own we plan on moving to a more hospitable state from many different perspectives as the state does not align with our values. Having said this, I'm not a big fan of federal blanket gun rules and just want them to preserve baseline guaranteed 2A rights. We can make the decision to move to a state that is not a nanny state and we're going to do that. We'll vote with our feet in this case. Our money will spend just fine in another state.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What helped us a lot, was that all 33 Sheriffs were against the bills. And most, if not all made the trip to the round house. I was able to go only one day.
Even one day of putting face in to oppose these anti-firearms organizations in our - or any state legislature - has a far greater value than some realize.

Thanks for being that face the day you were there.

·
Registered
24,040 Posts
Congrats to all that worked on this in NM, I watched it with interest from afar and got my NM sibling to support the fight. Wish we would have had the same results on very similar legislation funded (largely) by Bloomberg in 2013.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts