SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Some are very much inclined to be the first to handle a firearm new from the box. Same with a motor vehicle.

Funny part to me is that both were extensively handled by the folks manufacturing and assembling said products. For a vehicle, hundreds. A gun, more than a few dozen. Yet, degrease and package it - 10% more.

When I purchased my P365 the born on date was the same month I bought it and there were two in stock. All my examination showed it was not mishandled - which is what we really look for. The bulk of that isn't racking or dry firing, it's otherwise manhandling it in some way to result in damage. Have to ask, on most firearms, what could be damaged?

Humans can and will operate something wrong, how could a maker leave a feature which could be mangled or broken by a human hand? It would be warranty hell that month before the recall. IF it could be disassembled before purchase, then the P938 was prone to damaging a pawl on the frame, which would not be a good thing. I've never seen new guns field stripped for inspection until purchase - because we expect them out of the box to have been checked at the plant.

It's got fingerprints, no big deal. Shop worn from scratches, it would be the jewelry worn by others. And it would be again after purchase, or worse. That is why the majority of LEO handguns are beat up on the right vs left - commonly right handed, it's the side that gets door jambs, latches, sidewalks, etc against it. In some circles, that's provenance, not wear, and if it was a famous lawman's, you'd suspect something wrong if it wasn't there.

Tool users aren't going to sweat scratches or character imparted by use, and even covet it, collectors or even idolizers of a gun may not and prefer it NIB. Don't expect, however that it hasn't been touched by human hands before it was received at the store. It most certainly was, numerous times.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never been afraid to buy a display gun, as long as it's not scratched/scuffed badly. I will do that myself, as most all of my guns are used and things happen. Of course, some are used more than others. I do own 2 pistols and 1 revolver that have never been fired. Bought all 3 used from estate sales.

There are not any new guns coming out that I am interested in. Not a fan of plastic guns. Even though I do own a few from a few different manufacturers. At this point I am only interested in WG/G Sigs, HK, Walther and pre lock S&W revolvers, anymore.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I guess part of the problem is that I have watched how amateur LGS customers handle the display guns. I’ve cringed at times and thought wonder who the poor SOB to buy that gun will be. Sure, it’s under warranty. But I don’t need an unnecessary project of packing up a firearm and then shipping it to NH etc etc. If paying full new price freight I always err on the side of NIB from back room versus the “test drive car” but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I guess part of the problem is that I have watched how amateur LGS customers handle the display guns. I’ve cringed at times and thought wonder who the poor SOB to buy that gun will be. Sure, it’s under warranty. But I don’t need an unnecessary project of packing up a firearm and then shipping it to NH etc etc. If paying full new price freight I always err on the side of NIB from back room versus the “test drive car” but thats just me.
THIS!!!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If it’s to use and enjoy new is new , if it’s a collection item the extra for a bagged unit makes sense

Reactions: littleant

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I would rather buy the test drive car so long as the “off the lot” price reflects the test drives. :cool:

Reactions: KenBry

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
If it was in a gun store, I'd inspect the use one and then maybe see if they could take a bit more off, or out-the-door. On Gunbroker....more of a risk. I'd probably be inclined to go with new, and these days $1200 isn't bad for a new Legion. If the latter isn't a Legion...then I'd at least look into if the seller has a return policy just in case.

Reactions: littleant

·
Registered
35 Posts
Short answer is to pay more for a super new one versus floor model. The one thing I know for sure is that I NEVER buy the new one in the case. I always ask if they have more than one available for sale and when they say yes, I say sold but request the untouched new one in the back room. The one that is still in the box and wrapped in original plastic and has the new birth packing oil all over it.
They won’t be “wrapped in original plastic”. As a FFL holder I have to take the serial number of “the steel” which means directly off the firearm, only Superman could do that without opening the case/box.
And BTW, have received firearms with different serial numbers than the paperwork from distributors. This make customers very angry since it can’t be transferred until either the correct paperwork is received, or the correct firearm is received. I’ve seen it done both ways.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Another consideration on new guns happens when each one is hand fitted and final finished at the factory. This doesn't happen so much with some of the more recent designs (polymer guns and the high precision automation used by some manufacturers), but is a consideration when hand work is involved. It is especially an issue on M1911a1 pistols and metal revolvers.

At the national match games a few years ago in Port Clinton, Ohio, Springfield Armory was setup with a temporary store and had at least a hundred of their M1911a1 pistols of various models, new, and out on display where competitors could handle them. That let me pick each one up, and compare them for final fit and finish.

I wanted a good one for teaching, and eventually selected the one with the best fit and finish of the bunch. It wasn't the most expensive, but rather one toward the bottom middle of the price range that had been final fitted in Brazil (a stainless steel "Loaded" model). For one of their production guns the slide was smooth and reasonably tight, and the trigger was crisp.

The story here is that if a dealer has a number of identical pistols in stock, and it's a model that might reflect the skill of a final fitting gunsmith, I would ask if I could compare the pistols in stock to select one. It's the reason I hesitate to buy new guns sight unseen off the Internet.

The really nice thing about SIG pistols has been the precision I've experienced in them. I have equipped my last three with threaded SIG barrels, and none of them required any hand fitting. They dropped in without any issues. That's amazing precision manufacturing. The ones involved were P226 MK25, P229 E2 and P320 RX Models.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
They won’t be “wrapped in original plastic”. As a FFL holder I have to take the serial number of “the steel” which means directly off the firearm, only Superman could do that without opening the case/box.
And BTW, have received firearms with different serial numbers than the paperwork from distributors. This make customers very angry since it can’t be transferred until either the correct paperwork is received, or the correct firearm is received. I’ve seen it done both ways.
The one time removal of the plastic for a quick serial number read and then returned into the plastic isn’t my concern. It’s the days or weeks of the weapon being handled and manipulated in every which way that I’m not a fan of. Watching repeated hard slide releases, excessive dry firing and even dropping, I just prefer taking home a new weapon that has been sitting in a safe and not experienced that dailyuse especially if said gun will be an EDC weapon.

·
🎖USAF Retired
3,465 Posts
The one time removal of the plastic for a quick serial number read and then returned into the plastic isn’t my concern. It’s the days or weeks of the weapon being handled and manipulated in every which way that I’m not a fan of. Watching repeated hard slide releases, excessive dry firing and even dropping, I just prefer taking home a new weapon that has been sitting in adage and not experienced that dailyuse especially if said gun will be an EDC weapon.
Yea, that explosion of gun powder is so much easier on the gun than Joe bag of doughnuts racking the slide. I love reading your logic on this thread… Yet, You have bought a whole bunch of used guns recently, imagine all the things the previous owners did to those..Ewwwww.. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yea, that explosion of gun powder is so much easier on the gun than Joe bag of doughnuts racking the slide. I love reading your logic on this thread… Yet, You have bought a whole bunch of used guns recently, imagine all the things the previous owners did to those..Ewwwww.. :unsure:
I see your point, maybe I can clarify. I am addressing my opinion on LGS “new” purchases because in that scenario I usually have options.

Now, shifting gears to a “used” scenario. In this case I have no choice which is the bad news. The good news is that more times than not, I got a good deal on an out of production Sig. if I had the same choice with the resale purchases I’ve made, I would have chosen NIB and in plastic…..but…. As we know, that’s virtually unheard of.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What are you going to do with it after you buy it? Safe queen or Shoot it? If you plan to shoot it, it’s a tool gun and, buy the less expensive one and shoot the stars out of it. If you are never going to shoot it and leave it hermetically sealed with desiccant packets then the un soiled gun would be best.

BTW, they are both new and under Sigs warranty. You can always buy it then get in touch with Sig and tell them you bought it new and it was scratched in the box. They will fix it free.

This,

If you are going to shoot it and carry it, it will get marks on it anyways. Take the $200 savings and buy some ammo.

If you are buying it as a collectors piece to never be shot and just leave in a safe for someone to enjoy after you die, then pay the extra for the perfect one.

If they are the same price always take the new one in the back.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts