SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see a firearm on gun broker let's say a Sig P229 Legion DA/SA DISPLAY MODEL new with some marks on it from people handling it for $1,000 Dollars. And you see a SIg P229 factory sealed never a DISPLAY MODEL stock photos that more then likely no marks on it for $1,200 Dollars.

Would you pay the extra money for the unopened firearm. I know it's a hypothetical question assuming everything I stated would happen. (I did just this on my 3 month old P938 legion. $200.00 more for sealed unopened. Gun was mint with no handling with full warranty with full refund) Firearm had to be opened at the store to verify no factory damage.

Registered
Short answer is to pay more for a super new one versus floor model. The one thing I know for sure is that I NEVER buy the new one in the case. I always ask if they have more than one available for sale and when they say yes, I say sold but request the untouched new one in the back room. The one that is still in the box and wrapped in original plastic and has the new birth packing oil all over it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Short answer is to pay more for a super new one versus floor model. The one thing I know for sure is that I NEVER buy the new one in the case. I always ask if they have more than one available for sale and when they say yes, I say sold but request the untouched new one in the back room. The one that is still in the box and wrapped in original plastic and has the new birth packing oil all over it.
AzMaz great answer. Test the one in the case but buy the one in the back room 馃榾馃憤

Registered
A display gun generally wouldn't put me off of buying it. I would definitely pay the extra to get a new gun over a pre-owned. But I've bought display before.

Reactions: littleant

Premium Member
I'm with Q and GBIA. A few scuff marks won't affect the function of the gun, and I don't care how careful you are, if you're going to shoot the gun, sure as shooting you're going to add a few scuff marks of your own to the gun.

Registered
depends on if i was planning a trip to disneyland i could cancel, but i would probably buy new.
for two-fiddy, i might go used :p

anyway, i won't even shop at walmart to save money, but i can afford to put principles before prices.

Registered
If on GB, impossible to receive a sealed, unhandled unit. If you鈥檙e lucky the seller will open and inspect before shipping to be sure there鈥檚 no damage and that Sig didn鈥檛 leave something out, which they are notorious for. As a great Sig dealer many of you know in Texas once told me. 鈥淲hen it comes to Sig, you never know what you got til you open the box.鈥 When the receiving ffl gets it, they will open, handle and verify the s/n on the unit matches the box and paperwork. By the time you get it, everybody but you has played with it. And all you can do is hope they didn鈥檛 drop it.

馃帠USAF Retired
What are you going to do with it after you buy it? Safe queen or Shoot it? If you plan to shoot it, it鈥檚 a tool gun and, buy the less expensive one and shoot the stars out of it. If you are never going to shoot it and leave it hermetically sealed with desiccant packets then the un soiled gun would be best.

BTW, they are both new and under Sigs warranty. You can always buy it then get in touch with Sig and tell them you bought it new and it was scratched in the box. They will fix it free.

Premium Member
What are you going to do with it after you buy it? Safe queen or Shoot it? If you plan to shoot it, it鈥檚 a tool gun and, buy the less expensive one and shoot the stars out of it. If you are never going to shoot it and leave it hermetically sealed with desiccant packets then the un soiled gun would be best.

BTW, they are both new and under Sigs warranty. You can always buy it then get in touch with Sig and tell them you bought it new and it was scratched in the box. They will fix it free.
I鈥檓 ocd, and even though I shoot mine, a scratch drives me nuts. I can鈥檛 help it either. I let a guy do a trigger job on a 1911 few yrs ago, trigger turned out great, but he put the dreaded idiot mark on the frame putting the slide lever in. I sold the gun
Now it might not bother the OP, but I couldn鈥檛 do it 馃ぃ

Registered

this is good logic, but my concern wouldn't be cosmetic but more related to my ocd nature.
while @azmercedes makes a point about sig being like a box of chocolates, if the gun doesn't perform as well as i want or expect, i don't want to be able to blame anything but myself. when i see a desireable and barely used gun for sale, i always suspect it shoots like schiff, otherwise why would anyone sell it? i have never sold a gun i liked, but i have never bought one i didn't like. :p

Premium Member
I will buy a used gun if it is a good enough bargain. I inspect it carefully first, and also ensure that there is warranty - or take that into consideration if any problems are "on me".

I recently bought a 2020 vintage "used" P229 E2 at my LGS for about 58% what a new one sells for. There was the most minor indication it had been shot. Functions perfectly, and was exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: theLBC

Registered
You see a firearm on gun broker let's say a Sig P229 Legion DA/SA DISPLAY MODEL new with some marks on it from people handling it for $1,000 Dollars. And you see a SIg P229 factory sealed never a DISPLAY MODEL stock photos that more then likely no marks on it for $1,200 Dollars.

Would you pay the extra money for the unopened firearm. I know it's a hypothetical question assuming everything I stated would happen. (I did just this on my 3 month old P938 legion. $200.00 more for sealed unopened. Gun was mint with no handling with full warranty with full refund) Firearm had to be opened at the store to verify no factory damage.
You say P229 legion Display then just P229 factory sealed., so is it two entirely different guns?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts