SIG Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Went to range with couple people from work
One the guys shows me his hand and says he was working on “off hand” shooting. He overlapped his dominate hand on pistol and got this gun bite.
When training or trying new things good reminder to think about the guns motion not just switching grip, stance, hand etc… View attachment 433157
That happened to me. Once. I adjusted my grip pretty quickly after that

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Im sure that dress matched her face shortly after that picture
The pic isn’t clear enough to see the eye piece. I’ve seen cuts that needed stitches from scope bite. I haven’t been to a public outdoor range in years, so I miss out on that kind of stuff now. Went to one in Henryville Forest in Indiana. I didn’t even get out of the truck.😱

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I own one of these. I’ve shot it a few times and never had a problem before I saw any of these videos. But pretty dangerous. Start watching video or fast forward video to 10:30.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Target .22's in the day would do that. "High fit and finish" back then meant "sharp edges that cut." They were razor sharp and that never made any sense. It's like carrying a knife in a sheath leaving the blade exposed. "Well, you just need to pay more attention!" NO, it's bass ackward thinking on the part of the maker leaving edges where they scalpel the users hand. The correction is to "ease" the edge with a stone rounding it so that it's user friendly. CCW gun makers called it a "meld" job in the day, to keep those edges from being snagmasters, cutting up clothing, and injuring the user unecessarily. Bad gun makers leave them sharp to impress the shooter they are getting "high quality" while also punishing them for buying one. But the owners keep coming back saying "take my money."

As for high grips that crowd the slide, it wasn't much discussed or done 40 years ago. There was a natural position to place your hand, you kept your thumbs out of places that moved or where gas might escape, and you then worked on being a better shooter. Only after you were good enough to see a difference did all the super secret precision target tips come out.

Now we teach them first before a new shooter can even hit the target, as if they will make a difference. Most of these tips are so incremental you need to be top 5% in the state to use them, but, no, just like the overbuilt guns some carry, all the HSLD comes out long before a shooter can even perceive the advantages. Most will never shoot better than a field or carry gun offers. 2 MOA is the combat standard for almost 100 years, why do we have to be able to choose what button to hit rather than just get a hit?

There is far too much precision target shooting forced into EDC carry and when I see thumbs high and slide bites on hands it's evidence the wrong focus is being used. It's an 18" center of mass target where only hits count - right? When these practices are thrust into a beginners first lessons and they get cut up, have we really done them a favor or, are we impressing them with our knowledge while proving to them they are rank newbs who can't do well? Evidence? Videos of young women allowed to improperly hold a magnum rifle and getting whacked with it - for the lulz. Ha ha funny funny.

Here's the takeaway, we have 16 million new shooters, and half are women. We need to clean up our act, instruct on BASICS, leave the HSLD off the table and get them to hit the broad side of a barn. That's what they need to do, first. If and when some (and only some will) come around to shoot in competition, then the tips and tricks are explained - to some folks willing to put some skin in the game. Until then, a gun is a loud, recoiling bully. Setting them up to get sand kicked in their face, too?

You're doing it wrong.

Keep those thumbs down and out of the way. Save the Gas Pedal for those few who can handle it, later.

·
Registered
104 Posts
got slide bites with a Hi-Power and a Rock Island 1911, which has a sharp beaver tail and edges. Both guns went down the road.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
633 Posts
I agree with Hemiran, had a PPK from Interarms back in the 80's. Didn't shoot worth a damn and slide bite was inevitable.
Dumped it.
No other pistol did/does that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts