SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to range with couple people from work
One the guys shows me his hand and says he was working on “off hand” shooting. He overlapped his dominate hand on pistol and got this gun bite.
When training or trying new things good reminder to think about the guns motion not just switching grip, stance, hand etc…
Human body Scar Gesture Knee Plant

·
Registered
641 Posts
One older couple came to our Pistols and Potluck one time only. They had no equipment except a gun. For ear protection they tore a piece of keenex and stuffed the pieces in their ears. No kidding. Although I was her safety officer, I erroneously felt that I could not tell her to go back to the clubhouse and forget it because these people had specifically been invited by the "president" of the club who also headed the P&P group. I should have done the right thing and the heck with the "president" and her self righteous posturing and nasty temper.

The women was trying to shoot, but no matter what she tried to do, including simply trying to pull the slide back, resulted in her getting slide bite, or trigger bite, and every other kind of bite. Fortunately, after using most of the bandaids in my bag, she decided to quit. Good girl! Then, later the woman who had invited these people told them that not everyone can shoot guns. Well, ah, doh....

And, BTW, yes I got slide bite once or twice also "long time ago" - when transitioning from revolvers to semi autos. Also got part of my hand caught in the ejection port. Ouch, nasty. And then there is that big blood blister that results from forcefully inserting a magazine into a gun with a short grip and catching part of your palm between the mag and the bottom of the grip! These are all learning experiences! They are also experiences that help to make you a better teacher/coach/RSO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
OP - I might suggest your friend(s) take an actual pistol class somewhere from a certified instructor if he hasn't yet - I'm assuming he hasn't, or has a short memory. We see new / inexperienced shooters start to do this during the live fire exercises - even though they were told, and shown why, NOT to do it during the classroom instruction. I also see it at times when I'm RSO at the club range - which I correct tactfully, but immediately. As much as once might be a good "learning" tool, we prefer to avoid it. Years ago, shooting at a public indoor range, 2 bays down I saw a guy get set up and start to shoot (I always check out shooters next to me to insure they are safe to be around - you'd be amazed!) - I was loading mags. When I glanced left to observe him again, his support hand was around his wrist - before I could say anything he was bleeding after 1st round. I gave him a bandaid, and suggested he change his grip (a new gunowner with new gun). Only time I've actually seen someone get sliced by the slide like this (seen some other close ones though). Shooters switching from revolvers to semi's risk this if they lose concentration.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Ouch, he better have that checked out as I heard Glock bites are poisonous 🤣

·
Registered
548 Posts
Only happened to me once. The first time I shot a handgun and it was a 1911. My support hand was on top of my right hand and high enough that the hammer smashed the skin between my thumb and index finger. It hurt and I almost dropped it. That would have been bad because we were on a drilling rig in TX shooting down at soda bottles in a waste retention pond. My buddy whose gun it was just laughed and said he saw it coming, but thought I would learn quicker if I experienced it...? I should have dropped it into the waste pond ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP - I might suggest your friend(s) take an actual pistol class somewhere from a certified instructor if he hasn't yet - I'm assuming he hasn't, or has a short memory. We see new / inexperienced shooters start to do this during the live fire exercises - even though they were told, and shown why, NOT to do it during the classroom instruction. I also see it at times when I'm RSO at the club range - which I correct tactfully, but immediately. As much as once might be a good "learning" tool, we prefer to avoid it. Years ago, shooting at a public indoor range, 2 bays down I saw a guy get set up and start to shoot (I always check out shooters next to me to insure they are safe to be around - you'd be amazed!) - I was loading mags. When I glanced left to observe him again, his support hand was around his wrist - before I could say anything he was bleeding after 1st round. I gave him a bandaid, and suggested he change his grip (a new gunowner with new gun). Only time I've actually seen someone get sliced by the slide like this (seen some other close ones though). Shooters switching from revolvers to semi's risk this if they lose concentration.
Yes I am told this Gentleman had shot before even owned a Revolver though he stated he never shot anything but a revolver nor shoots more than 1/2 times a year and was wondering recoil off hand Felt like. Guess he found out the hard way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One the guys shows me his hand and says he was working on “off hand” shooting. He overlapped his dominate hand on pistol and got this gun bite.
When training or trying new things good reminder to think about the guns motion not just switching grip, stance, hand etc… View attachment 433157

Hmmmmm.....looks like PPK bite..........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure rental guns, or buddies LCP they rented 365XL, and a Hellcat Couple stalls down from the guys I was in lane with. I think for someone that does not shoot nor has shot anything but a Revolver in their life, they should be renting full size and just try to get shots on paper before they start experimenting That said he is a blowhard so Ego got the best of him. Karma is [email protected]#h but I am not a petty person so I do not think that 😇

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
When training or trying new things good reminder to think about the guns motion not just switching grip, stance, hand etc… View attachment 433157
:oops:
Air gun Sleeve Trigger Gesture Finger

Reactions: DetroitMike

·
Registered
551 Posts
I put a band aid over the skin of the web between the thumb and first finger. I shoot a P938 and have a fairly large hand. The skin will overlap the beaver tail and result in hammer bite. Not uncommon shooting small exposed hammer fired semis and big hands.The OP did not say what he was shooting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of 3Guns LCP, 365XL, or Hellcat I did ask him is jus know they were trying micro/small EDC
He commented shooting off hand and Slide Bite was on his right hand. Must have overlapped the back of LH
I like the Idea of a band aid on dominate hand when shooting a micro if you have big hands
I am sure most of us have a slide bite or pinched skin racking slides disassembling or etc…

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
One of 3Guns LCP, 365XL, or Hellcat I did ask him is jus know they were trying micro/small EDC
He commented shooting off hand and Slide Bite was on his right hand. Must have overlapped the back of LH
I like the Idea of a band aid on dominate hand when shooting a micro if you have big hands
I am sure most of us have a slide bite or pinched skin racking slides disassembling or etc…
Watch out for a P230SL .380 when coming from shooting a P226!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are guns that seem to be more prone to "hammer bite" than others - browning hipowers can be notorious for that for someone with very large hands (personally never been bitten by any of mine though - or any other hammer fired pistol so far - and I grip up as high as possible). Then there is the "palm pinch" when slamming home a mag - especially on a smaller pistol/grip (this I have experienced a few times). "slide slice" is just lack of knowledge/training on a proper semi-auto grip, or lack of concentration. You can also throw in "trigger finger pinch" too - skin caught between end of trigger and inside surface of trigger guard (again, some guns seem prone to this more than others).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts