SIG Talk banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
1,095 Posts
Mine's blue loctited and never came undone since. I did crank the rod in tight with pliers and let it sit for a couple of days. That was several years ago still going strong.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Last time I did mine, I froze the rod (shrink) and heated the base (expand) before I put on the loctite and screwed it back together.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Forget about the loctite business of repairing, etc. to me that's just a band-aid fix.

Correct/fix it the right way once and for all and be done with it by replacing the two piece guide rod with a solid single piece guide rod.

That's what I did with my Legion P938 and haven't looked back since.

Your call.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Use Red Locktite or better yet order a one piece stainless steel guide rod for it.

Reactions: Mr. Sig

·
Banned
16 Posts
I'll probably sound a bit strident, but I would insist that SIG replace the defective guide rod. For them to tell you to locktite the failed unit is unacceptable. They have known about this problem for years and yet here it is showing up again. If locktite is truly the solution, then they should have applied it sufficiently/properly at the factory.

You paid for that "life of owner" warranty, please exercise it! It's one of the few points of leverage that we consumers have; put the cost of failure back on the OEM.

~climbing down from soapbox now~
In an ideal world, I would agree with you. I just got pragmatic and put a one piece stainless steel guide rod in mine and it works like it should after a LOT of ammo through the gun. Others have said it will void my warranty but no, it won't because if the gun ever goes back to the factory, it will have their unreliable two piece rod in it. I would rather have the peace of mind that my aftermarket guide rod is in the gun, is very well made and machined and it works. No, it doesn't mark up the barrel. Things shouldn't be that way but I do like my 938 as a great EDC with a guide rod I trust now. Using Loctite might work but it's a jury rigged way to put it back together permanently. Just my opinion and solution. I now trust my gun.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I bought my P938 six years ago. When I took it down for cleaning after the first range visit, the guide rod was extremely loose. It was also the first two piece guide rod I ever saw. I wrapped it in a soft cloth and tightened it. It never came loose again.

I was somewhat of s Sig Fan Boy, and quickly forgave them. But -- this forum was filled with guide rod complaints. Several posters said their guide rod launched down the range. Instant failure. There is no way Sig can say they didn't know there was a problem. I can see that as of two months ago, Sig has made no effort to fix it.

Fast forward four years to the P365. Sig makes some of the very best guns on the market. But they still are very reluctant to correct mistakes that are clearly pointed out to them.

I'm still a Sig fan boy, and I will still buy their products. But; I won't cover for their refusal to fix mistakes.

Reactions: Mr. Sig

·
Registered
46 Posts
After my second trip to the range I found the guide rod of my P939 Legion was halfway unthreaded. It was tight after the first 275 rounds. After firing 200 rounds today it was coming unthreaded!

I have heard of this issue so I was checking on it. I was surprised to find it happening so soon. I have heard of others using Locktite on the threads successfully, so maybe I’ll do that. I have also heard that there is a one piece guide rod available. That really appeals to me except that it should have already come with one!

I really love this pistol and I trust the quality and customer service from Sig. I have contacted Sig Customer Service and am sure the issue will be resolved.

Here are photos of what it looks like when the guide rod has started coming unthreaded on a P938 Legion.
I have literally solved this probllem with the guide roid coming loose.Its an easy fix which would ensure never ever your guide rod to come loose again without buying a stainless steel one.I own a sig p938 legion worked my magic and never had a problem again of it coming loose and have shot now over 3500 rounds through it.
The principle is simple physics and a little ingenuity...

·
Registered
233 Posts
The principle is simple physics and a little ingenuity...
We're waiting..but heating the guide rod base (expand) and freezing the threaded end (contract) is simple physics. That's what I did (with loctite) and that was untold thousands of rounds ago. Of course, I'm a retired HS Physics teacher. 😀

·
Registered
46 Posts
We're waiting..but heating the guide rod base (expand) and freezing the threaded end (contract) is simple physics. That's what I did (with loctite) and that was untold thousands of rounds ago. Of course, I'm a retired HS Physics teacher. 😀
Granted top gun what you saying is correct but physics includes mechanics as well and i was referring more to that branch of physics...

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Mine was loose after just 50 rounds. I solved the problem by using fingers, eyes and google and ordered the one piece ss replacement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just my two cents worth. I have all 3, the 365 original, 938 with CT laser and stock 238 so think I am qualified to offer my thoughts.

If you need small and compact the 238 fills the bill well, well designed and with the right ammo fits the bill while in your pocket.
938 fills the IWB bill great even though only 7+1 rounds avail. Really like the metal frame and 911 style of it. Light and easy to carry.
365 fills another need. Almost as small as the 938 if works well for IWB carry but just feels chunkier. Physically it looks the same and just feels bigger to me. 12 +1 rounds is a plus. Plastic not so sure.
On a trip now and took the 938 and almost forget I have in on my waist. With the 365 at gets sore after 2 or so days. I'm on day 3 and still don't realize I have it with me.

As i said this is my opinion and plan on keeping all 3, at lease for now.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts