SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the afternoon helping out at the local range running an indoor GSSF event. First thing, either they aren't as reliable as we've been told, or there is a lot of crappy ammo out there....or both. At least 1 out of every 10 competitors today I personally ran had some sort of failure. To their credit, they cleared them safely and quickly.
And some of the folks can really shoot. Best I saw was a 496 of 500 in the stock division with stock sights....
Glock sure has the right idea with the program.....even made me think of getting one.....but not enough to actually buy one.

Any other observations??

·
Registered
84 Posts
I joined it back in October with the plans to get a Glock and maybe go to a match or two. If you join for 2 years or more you get one Glock a year at their Blue Label price. You can also win free guns at events. The only problem is you have to buy the Blue Label Glock from one of their Blue Label dealers. The only one in my area apparently is no longer a Blue Label dealer according to Glock and I don't want to drive 1.5 hours (one way) to the nearest one then have to drive back a week later to pickup the gun (Maryland has a 7 day wait period).

I've also noticed they have very few matches in my area throughout the year. They have one in Delaware that's about an hour from me and the next closest ones are 3-5 hours away in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

That being said if you happen to be in an area where they have more matches and either own a Glock already or have access to a Blue Label Dealer it's not a bad option to get involved in shooting sports. No need to go out and spend $2,000-3,000 on a competition gun to get started when you can use a stock Glock 17, 19, etc. for $500-600 ($340-600 depending on model (MOS versions are at the higher end of the range) if you get a Blue Label).

I think I paid like $80 for either a 2 or 3 year membership. When it's time to renew I will probably pay the $300 for a lifetime membership and hope they start having more matches in my area. A stock Glock 17/19 Gen 5 at my local FFL is $555.56 and I can get either with the GSSF discount for $425 before tax. With a lifetime membership after 3 years of Blue Label pistols the membership has paid for it's self and still saved me $75 on 3 guns. Everything after that is straight savings.

Reactions: Rustytxrx

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Just ran my first GSSF today with my stock Gen 5 17. Shot a 496. Pretty happy for my first time out. I look forward to doing another one next month.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The whole Glock perfection thing is a joke. Glock’s can be very temperamental. Don’t ever say that around a hlick fanboy as they will be instantly triggered. I only have 1 custom g17 variant left. I much prefer the p320 line . Better sights, better ergos, better trigger, and more mechanically accurate. Glock’s were made to be cheap and garner government contracts.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
The whole Glock perfection thing is a joke. Glock’s can be very temperamental. Don’t ever say that around a hlick fanboy as they will be instantly triggered. I only have 1 custom g17 variant left. I much prefer the p320 line . Better sights, better ergos, better trigger, and more mechanically accurate. Glock’s were made to be cheap and garner government contracts.
If you feel this way, why did you post in a thread specifically about GSSF? Was it just to make others feel bad?

·
Registered
36 Posts
GSSF is a good program to get new Glock shooters into shooting competitions. They are very user friendly and it helps get people used to shooting around other people. It is a good place to develop speed and get used to shooting @25 yards. The indoor matches can be kinda boring because they are shot at one target. The outdoor matches involve plate racks and shooting multiple targets with each CoF at distances of 5-10-15-20-25 yards. Having to shoot about 20% of every match at 25 yards is a great way to force people to learn to shoot at longer distances. Not as challenging as IDPA or 3 Gun but a great way to get started. The top shooters are really fast and very competitive. As far as all the failures that is a very unusual occurance. I have shot many GSSF matches and see far fewer gun issues than I see at a typical IDPA match.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Just shot my first 500 2 weekends ago! Gotta admit, I’m kind of hooked. I may try the pocket and unlimited classes when these come back around in the Spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just shot my first 500 2 weekends ago! Gotta admit, I’m kind of hooked. I may try the pocket and unlimited classes when these come back around in the Spring.
I'll second the statement of really good shooting!

As for the OP, this is my second year shooting at GSSF tournaments. I did get my blue label coupon this year and elected to purchase a G34 gen 5 MOS, something I would not have purchased without the discount. Seeing that it is more of a competition firearm, I decided to go with that one and will put an RMR on it and use it in the unlimited category.

I've been to two different hosting locations, one which is an hour away and the other is just over 2 hours away. The closer one is an 'indoor shoot' format but shot outside. The further one is an 'indoor shoot' shot indoors and I have to agree with an earlier post, indoor format is somewhat mundane and I am looking forward to shooting at an outdoor format. But honestly, I don't believe I will be driving two hours to shoot indoor and only did it because it was winter and cold and wanted to compete.

The comment on failures during the matches aren't something I have experienced much. In fact, where there is a failure, you know about it most of the time because the shooter experiencing the failure is allowed to fire the remaining the shots to finish up the allocated shots, after the seize fire has been called. I did just have a failure to go into battery but it was during the 25 yard shoot and I was able to clear and reload my magazine and finish off the remaining rounds within the 30 second time frame. I did then shoot my extra round after the fact as I had to eject a good round during my malfunction. I blame the firearm still breaking in, but suspect many issues due to improper grip could be the culprit to what you experienced. Just my opinion as I wasn't there, but have found new shooters causing malfunctions more regularly than not. And who knows, maybe I caused my own malfunction.

Bottom line, the matches are pretty cool and I gave it a try and find myself going back when they are hosted. I compete in all 3 divisions, which are stock, unlimited (modified firearms) and pocket (g42 and g43 only). But I am a Sig shooter, and really wish I could shoot my 320 compact, X5 RMR, and 365 instead...maybe Sig will start something similar and I will most definitely shoot in those before I'd go to shoot Glocks.

I recommend going if you don't mind shooting Glocks and finding others in your area that are also out enjoying some friendly competition.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,737 Posts
Mrs. Flash and/or I have been shooting Glocks weekly for around 10 years now with no failures. And it's not just one Glock, it's a G17, G26, G42, G43 and the latest, a G30.

Kinda makes me wonder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mrs. Flash and/or I have been shooting Glocks weekly for around 10 years now with no failures. And it's not just one Glock, it's a G17, G26, G42, G43 and the latest, a G30.

Kinda makes me wonder.
I tend to believe comments like yours regarding most any of the major manufacturers. A ton of failures from Glocks or Sigs or Springfields or Smith's or HK's and most other quality manufacturers gun's is a major aberration. When I do see it happen it is usually traceable back to reloads that were done by someone with a bad process.

·
Registered
960 Posts
A friend down in FL was running one of those events. Running a match indoors is difficult and it's very limited. I'd rather shoot one of the outdoor USPSA, IDPA or Steel events. What the participant uses can be anything they choose.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I used to go to an indoor GSSF matches, but I don't like that you start with gun low and ready, I like to practice drawing and firing like IDPA or even better a, CC match. at one time I had 12 Glocks down to 5 now, and if the 320 would have been on the market before the Glock, I maybe had one Glock, and 12 320s LOL

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Ran my first GSSF of the year yesterday. Kind of sour, I dropped a shot at 10 yards of all places. Accidentally double tapped it trying to ride the reset. I guess I should be happy with a 498 after not shooting Glocks since last year. Ran my 34 MOS in unlimited and that was a poop fest. I never got a chance to properly zero my DPP for 25 yards and my entire last string was high. At least I had fun yucking it up with all the guys. Looking forward to redemption next month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make no mistake, GSSF is to promote Glock. However, both the indoor league and the outdoor matches are low stress, simple introductions to action pistol shooting. No holster, no reloads on the clock, no moving. I recommend all new shooters who have Glocks give it a try. It gets them shooting under pressure and practicing manipulating their gun more than if they're just shooting by themselves. Some people go no further than GSSF. They have fun at it. Shoot multiple divisions and enjoy the socializing with other Glock shooters.

I finally achieved my 500 patch last month and that will be my last indoor league. I'll continue to shoot the local outdoor match for fun. BTB, to qualify for the 500 (or 250) there must be at least one string at 25yds. We had an officer up from Ft Benning shoot 3 back to back 500 hundreds. He's not on AMU and never said what his assignment was, but boy can he shoot. The last time I saw him shoot the indoor league he scored 500-48x. (That's only 2 outside the x ring.). I bet if he isn't already he would be an amazing Bullseye shooter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts