Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I have size XL hands and I don't have any problem with "fat" grips

Votes: 7 8.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious how much correlation there is between hand size and comfort with wide grips. Using the following hand sizing guides I have size Large hands bordering on Extra Large. I wonder how accurate that is in real life though (what % have sized XS hands?) and how that corresponds with being comfortable with a wide grip or not or is irrelevant and fit is a personal consideration that can't be so easily quantified..

http://www.giro.com/giro/fitguide/gloves/men_glove_fitguide.pdf
REI: Men's Sizing Info.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have some big *** hands and I like whatever grip is necessary! Lol

·
Registered
55,365 Posts
you gotta go with what's comfortable, whether single or double stack & length of grip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What are fat grips? I have med hands and have no prob with stock 229 grips. I do prefer thinner grips like 1911s though

·
Registered
55,365 Posts
hogue finger grooves on a 229.

1911's are mostly single stack, with a few exceptions & will be narrower than a 229, apples & oranges.

·
Registered
892 Posts
according to that chart i have small hands (doubtful) and i handle the 229 double stack with no problems. the only pistol i have a problem with is my 1911, i have to ue my off hand to release the slide, which is annoying

·
Registered
577 Posts
The most perfect fit for my small hands has always been my P239. However, I find the P228 and P229 quite comfortable with standard plastic grips. Its only when those fancy hardwood grips are installed (strictly for looks in my case) that I feel like I'm holding the wrong emd of a baseball bat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
according to that chart i have small hands (doubtful) and i handle the 229 double stack with no problems. the only pistol i have a problem with is my 1911, i have to ue my off hand to release the slide, which is annoying
I have medium/large hands and still find the 1911 slide release too far to reach safely. I end up using my off hand as well so I don't have to creep my grip hand back and forth to reach the release one handed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far it looks to me like there is a correlation in that 66% with small hands are only really comfortable with single stack, 28% with medium hands, and 11% with large hands. Of course those with xtra-large hands throw it for a loop preferring single stack 67% and they reverse the otherwise clear trend.

Could be that those with xtra-large hands tend to have thick blocky hands?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wear XL gloves. I really don't have issues with any grips. I just learned to adjust to any grips accordingly. I guess past military training. Adapt and overcome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
small gloves are tight on me, medium gloves are too loose... fm-hands!

I like a grip that is narrow, allowing me to really jam the webbing between my thumb and forefinger up in there, and easily get good purchase.

however I also like the distance from the back strap to the trigger to be as long as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grip Size

I have a P238 w/extend mag and it fits my hand perfect. I'm waiting for the extended mag for the P 938 hope it fits my as well.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
My hands are not what you would call Large, but I have long skinny fingers. I have the large grip installed on my 2022.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have large hands and am most comfortable with a single stack i do not have any trouble with my 226. The 1911 was actually designed for the off hand to release the slide stop to have both hands on the firearm to better control recoil and for better accuracy as well as helping with limp wristing causing malfunctions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being that all of my pistols are shot for sport, I will not shoot a pistol that does not fill my hand.
My hand could be described as medium-large, as there are some other hands that eclipse mine in size.
Single-stack pistols dig in the worst. I usually install fatter aftermarket grips by Hogue or Pachmyr.
My single-stack Desert Eagle being the exception. It takes a big hand to wrap around the DE & some large model Glock 20 & 21 models.
Small, concealable pistols that don't fit my hand usually get traded (No matter how high the quality).
If it not a comfort to hold, it is not a pleasure to shoot.
Life is too short to intentionally encourage pain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was looking for a button for large hands and Trouble with thin grips.

Palm size in relation to finger length is the variable. I have hogue Handall grips on all of my subcompacts just to fill the palm cavity. With the excepting of my fat style G27.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Big meaty palms with short stubby fingers. I can handle large grips fine, I just cant eject the empty mag with my thumb, only guns i can is the 2022 and the Sr9, both with the small grips/back strap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts