SIG Talk banner

Grey Guns Adjustable Straight Trigger

7237 18
I am new to this sight and received a email from Grey Guns today showing that they are offering an adjustable straight trigger for my gun. I was wondering if anyone here has already installed this trigger in their P226 Legion DA/SA? One of the first things I also installed was the Grey Guns spring kit. This had a pretty big impact in lowering the DA pull. With the Grey Guns spring kit installed using the 17lb hammer spring my DA pull is now 7.36 lbs and the SA pull is 3.06 lbs. If anyone can give me some feedback on the Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger for the P226 or P226 Legion I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Hopefully Grey Guns will get mine out to me in the next 3 to 5 days.
Reactions: ScalpeL28
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Also interested in this topic, as I have ordered two triggers - one for my P226 Legion and one for my P229 Legion. I really like the flat rigger on my P226 SAO Legion.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger today and immediately installed it. I have not gone to the range yet but I like the feel of the new trigger. I shoot a Walther PPQ with a Apex flat trigger at IDPA and USPSA matches, so I think I am really going to like the P226 Legion with the flat face trigger. Weather permitting I will get to the range tomorrow and put it through it's paces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I had the trigger bar out waiting for my new trigger to be delivered I polished all the mating surfaces with my Dremel and after installing the new trigger I did a trigger pull test. Before I share the results I have also installed a Grey Guns spring kit with a 17# hammer spring. I used a Wheeler trigger pull gauge taking three pulls and averaging those results for a final pull weight. DA 6.7 lbs, SA 2.7 lbs. Sig P226 Legion.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
While I had the trigger bar out waiting for my new trigger to be delivered I polished all the mating surfaces with my Dremel and after installing the new trigger I did a trigger pull test. Before I share the results I have also installed a Grey Guns spring kit with a 17# hammer spring. I used a Wheeler trigger pull gauge taking three pulls and averaging those results for a final pull weight. DA 6.7 lbs, SA 2.7 lbs. Sig P226 Legion.
The critical question: Did you place the gauge hook at the middle of the trigger? If placed nearer the tip, pull weight readings will be less. Also did you pull straight back keeping the arm of the gauge parallel with the slide?

Also, have you calibrated your gauge? A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs (or 8 lb 5.44 ounces), so using a "weighs nothing" plastic bag, or a known weight container, you can easily check calibration on your trigger scale.

I ask all this as your DA pull weight is very suspect IMO. Just under 8 is doable, but I can't get to 7 lb even using a 17 lb main spring. And there's no way a stock Legion is going to give you a sub 3 lb SA pull at the center of the trigger. To get a SA pull that low, you must reduce the quite positive sear angle that SIG, and most other mfg's, use for liability/safety. It's simple mechanics, the stock sear has to slightly cam back the hammer in order to disengage. That ain't happening at sub 3 lbs, even with a 17 lb spring.

I'm not calling you out or anything like that, and mean no disrespect. I've done a good number of trigger jobs on SIGs, invested much money in the specialized tooling, fixtures and jigs to do so correctly and safely -
none of which means I'm right, though does improve my odds some.
(Disclaimer, I do not do commercial gunsmithing and recommend Robert Burke for that).

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am new to this sight and received a email from Grey Guns today showing that they are offering an adjustable straight trigger for my gun. I was wondering if anyone here has already installed this trigger in their P226 Legion DA/SA? One of the first things I also installed was the Grey Guns spring kit. This had a pretty big impact in lowering the DA pull. With the Grey Guns spring kit installed using the 17lb hammer spring my DA pull is now 7.36 lbs and the SA pull is 3.06 lbs. If anyone can give me some feedback on the Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger for the P226 or P226 Legion I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Hopefully Grey Guns will get mine out to me in the next 3 to 5 days.
Warm welcome from South Florida.

This particular installation was done on a 9 mm P229 Nitron with SRT, Trijicon HD orange, 17 round MecGar mag with 147 gr. HST and a carry Action Job. It was not a Legion but for all practical and mechanical purpose it is the same.
The P-STR8 installation and pre travel and over travel adjustment is done with the locking block removed. The two screws are adjusted with the included allen wrench to achieve first the trigger reset in DA and then in SA. Installation and adjustment is a breeze. I have not gone to the range yet, however dry fire testing is absolutely incredible. About 98% no pre travel and 100% no over travel. The SRT SA reset is insane with this over travel adjustment. But you guys with the Legion already know that since it comes with the P-SAIT trigger already. This trigger is basically the flat version of the P-SAIT with pre travel adjustment as a bonus. This is the steel trigger not the aluminum.

OBSERVATION: The tolerances on the trigger pin hole and the transfer bar trigger hole ( two holes on the top of the trigger ) is very tight. Nothing that a little grease took care of it. The result after installation is that the trigger has absolutely no lateral movement compared to the stock trigger.

This particular gun is only for HD use.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As for the trigger pull, my gun is not stock. When it was stock I got a three pull SA average of 3.9 lbs and I could not test my DA pull because my pull gauge only goes to 8 lbs and the stock DA pull was way over that. I installed the Grey Guns spring kit that included the 17# hammer spring, safety lock spring and competition sear spring. I have now polished all the mating surfaces with my Dremel and installed the Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger. I did just check the calibration on my pull gauge and it is right. I always set my gun down on a flat surface and pull straight back. With the stock Legion trigger there was no choice but to pull from the center of the trigger due to the curvature of that trigger. I do admit today with the new flat face trigger that I was pulling from just below center. I just wanted to share my results.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
As for the trigger pull, my gun is not stock. When it was stock I got a three pull SA average of 3.9 lbs and I could not test my DA pull because my pull gauge only goes to 8 lbs and the stock DA pull was way over that. - snip -
Sounds like you got a "good one"!:)

As I've posted before, if you take several SIGs of the same model, there will most likely be variations in trigger feel between each. The MIM parts used for sear and hammer are designed so no post manufacturing machining is needed on these parts. Good enough, but even with good MIM parts, there can be dimensional differences, within spec or otherwise.

The sear/hammer engagement surface area on a Classic P is quite small, it doesn't take much in the way of a bad fit to make a big difference. Frankly, I have seldom found a new stock SIG with an even engagement. It'll be touching on both sides and not in the middle, middle only, or one side only. This works, but due to decrease contact surface area, loading goes up on the smaller area that must do all the work. This is why gunsmiths, like Robert Burke, *fit* and true the surfaces, typically adjust sear engagement angle, engagement depth or area, and often cut a relief angle to remove creep. Most all these things are done with jigs and fixtures, a mill, or other equipment to insure perfect alignment. No way could I do that freehand. Heck, I can't draw a straight line on a piece of paper without a ruler.

The above is also why many will say something like, "Dry fire it a thousand times and it'll give you a great trigger!". Well sure, the crumby initial fit up will improve over time due to the increased wear from the high pressure too small contact areas. Will the final result be optimal? Unlikely, though it will obviously be better than it was. Due to the high wear, the contact areas increased in size with use. Put lapping compound on the parts instead of lube and it'll break in faster still! (NO, don't dot that, I was kidding, it'll break in faster but will wear stuff it shouldn't.)

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The term "I used a Dremel" is one of the scariest with regards to "Improving" gun performance.

Did you use a soft wheel and polishing compound or something else?

·
Registered
550 Posts
The term "I used a Dremel" is one of the scariest with regards to "Improving" gun performance.

Did you use a soft wheel and polishing compound or something else?
Although I'm not one of them, there are a few people that can do some really precise work with a 'Dremel'.

..."my bench grinder in the shed" is actually the most scary. :p

Ohh. Forgot to ask... What is the allure or advantages of a flat trigger as opposed to a curved one? I dont own any weapon with a flat trigger and I'm genuinely curious about this.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Although I'm not one of them, there are a few people that can do some really precise work with a 'Dremel'.

..."my bench grinder in the shed" is actually the most scary. :p

Ohh. Forgot to ask... What is the allure or advantages of a flat trigger as opposed to a curved one? I dont own any weapon with a flat trigger and I'm genuinely curious about this.
Good question!

A flat trigger allows the shooter more variation as to finger placement. This might be for ergonomic "fit" reasons or to intentionally trade travel distance for pull weight. Placing the finger lower reduces pull but increases distance, and visa versa.

The advantage of a curved trigger is in more consistent positioning and in more trigger to finger contact area (however slight that advantage that may be).

Esthetics probably plays into this as well - if you're as old as dirt, like me, you may remember how important tail fins were on cars. :rolleyes:

Edit to add comment on the "Dremel". Firstly, I use a Foredom rotary tool at my gun bench. More precise, more power, and more convenient for gunsmithing IMO. With a rotary tool, one can use a buff and compound to make steel look like a mirror! Mirrored surfaces are not what you want when finishing parts on a gun that rub or wear together. There is but one exception, and that is the feed ramp.

The reason this is so, is because of the way lubricated surfaces work together (search on line for this if you wish), a surface with fine texture holds lubrication much better than a polished surface. So while it may be tempting to buff away at the tiny sear/hammer surfaces - that is not in the best interest of your gun.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks Bumper,

I never thought about the leverage aspect of it. Must be why I see them on "race guns" for competition/matches. I did consider the "Cool factor' but didn't want to start a war here.

Ha! .. spoilers on a Honda Civic took the place of fins and are apparently very effective. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went out to the range today and setup a steel challenge stage. I shot around 250 + rounds through the gun. I like the Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger over the stock trigger on my Legion. Of course the gun ran flawless all day. I understand that a flat face trigger is a personal preference, but I deffinently recommend the upgrade. Other shooters at the range were asking to shoot my P226 Legion and everyone who did walked away impressed. At this point I don't know of anything else that could be done to improve this gun. It is a very nice piece.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Went out to the range today and setup a steel challenge stage. I shot around 250 + rounds through the gun. I like the Grey Guns Adjustable Straight trigger over the stock trigger on my Legion. Of course the gun ran flawless all day. I understand that a flat face trigger is a personal preference, but I deffinently recommend the upgrade. Other shooters at the range were asking to shoot my P226 Legion and everyone who did walked away impressed. At this point I don't know of anything else that could be done to improve this gun. It is a very nice piece.

Can you please elaborate on what specifically you like about the new trigger over the orginal, aside from straight vs curved? I am trying to decide whether to upgrade and am not sure the pre-travel adjustment is worth the $70. I have the straight on my SAO Legion and honestly don't really feel a big difference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you answered your own question. If you don't notice any difference between the flat trigger in your SAO Legion and the stocked curved trigger then save your money. For me I am used to shooting with a flat trigger and I feel like I have more finger control with the flat trigger. It is a personal preference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.