SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...used to use REM oil on rails...moved to Mil Com TW25B grease on rails using a very thin coat of it (applied with Q-Tips) after finding that the REM oil dried up between uses (and I shoot once a week).

Upon reading further about what might be best to use, and based on Robert Burkes recommendation, I have purchased Super Lube Silicon Grease to use just on the rails of both my Legion P229 and Nitron P229. Have several questions for others doing the same.

1. Damn...this stuff is THICK. Like Vaseline thick...how the heck are you able to get a really thin coat of this stuff on the rails so as it isn't EVERYWHERE whey you rack the slide?

2. I have a narrower top applicator that came with my 3 tubes...BUT...it still seems to go on to thick. Lots of extra coming out the back, to wipe off, when I rack the slide.

3. I applied it to the rails, on the lower unit, and allow what is on the rails to spread on the slide rails when I push the slide back on it. Pull the slide off again to check that it has spread. Replace...rack the slide several times...wipe excess (had to do this several times as so much extra)...and test for function. Is this the procedure most are using?

4. Would it be better to use a Q-Tip to spread this out on the rails rather than squirting it along the whole length using the tube?

5. When the gun heats up during use...have any of you experienced this stuff traveling down into firing pin channel and gumming things up? Or same question during the heat of the summer? Or anytime during storage?

Any other Thoughts/Tips welcome.

Also, the first time I did this and thought it was good...I went back later to check and make sure I had used only a thin layer. As I ran a toothpick over the side of the rail, on the lower part, I was able to push grease off of it as I went. Still seemed to have a thin layer even after removing some. I guess that is my main concern...how MUCH or little should one be using? Hate to have this stuff travel and gum things up. Seemed to be able to apply the Mil Com T25b much easier with that Q-Tip!!!

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
LOL - Good questions!! Yeah, SIGs like to run 'wet' - and it's not really intuitive what that means. I don't have experience with Super Lube, but am sure it's great stuff. Here's a link to a good note on Gray Gun's website that has some pics too.

https://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

Also mention that I only apply a big grease job to my gun rails, slide & barrel at the range, just before busting 100+ rounds downrange, and I clean all this junk off shortly after that range time too. Guess a greasy gun has never really seemed right to me...

My carry pistols have only a thin coat of a high quality gun oil - because that's all they really need to run reliably. Those range time grease jobs are to protect the gun from the excessive wear of range time pounding.

I'm very happy with results too. Even my 1st SIG, a P220C shows almost no wear...

Cheers

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I use a small, stiff-bristled brush. I forget what they are called, but they have a very short, aluminum handle, and the brush is straight and narrow- it applies the grease nicely in the rail channel. I can apply just about enough; when I rack the slide, I then clean up the extra on the back with a rag.

Reactions: jeff s

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not sure what Rem oil is good for--lots of bad stories floating around.

What you are doing sounds fine to me. The only product I have used that will 'flow' into unwanted orifices is Froglube. I have been using SuperLube oil and grease with great results.

I actually emailed SuperLube about which of their products they recommended for firearms--this is the response:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Super Lube®. Super Lube® Multi-Purpose Grease with Syncolon® PTFE and Super Lube® Oil with Syncolon® PTFE will both work well for your firearms application.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use a small, stiff-bristled brush. I forget what they are called, but they have a very short, aluminum handle, and the brush is straight and narrow- it applies the grease nicely in the rail channel. I can apply just about enough; when I rack the slide, I then clean up the extra on the back with a rag.
I do the same. You can get a bunch of those at Brownell's or Midway USA for a very reasonable price.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Those are called "Acid Brushes" and they can be found in most hardware stores where soldering supplies are sold. They were designed to apply flux paste for soldering.

Yes, brushes are perfect for putting a light application of grease on rails. The syringe method of application is "cleaner" and useful for applications where access is limited, but wasteful otherwise.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Remoil is really only good for spray cleaning hard to reach places imho. I use tw25b with the syringe for rails. Rack the slide about 10 times and wipe the excess off as others have said. I use this on all my carry guns because it doesn't seem to attract dirt and it stays where you put it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey...that's a GREAT idea. Using a stiff bristled brush like they use for applying flux. Will pick some of those up.

THANKS!!!

Oh...I should mention that my two P229's (Nitron & Legion) are Carry/Self-Defense Guns...as well as used for training at the range. I alternate between the two of them at the range and use both in a carry rotation. Not sure that makes any difference with regard to greasing the rails.

Any other thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I've been using Super Lube synthetic grease and oil for years (decades if I include my glider wing pins). Advantage, besides superb high pressure lubrication, is a broad temperature range and the stuff is not nearly as messy as compared to regular grease.

I would not recommend using a brush or Q-tip. Apply it relatively thick. Use it on the barrel, barrel lug and a thin coat on barrel hood too, as well as the top of the frame rails and a thin coat on the bottom center of the slide cartridge strip rail including area that cocks hammer.

Assemble, lock slide back, pick up grease on back end of the slide with finger and wipe that on the barrel. Rack slide several times and then wipe grease off in-battery gun, and off barrel hood. Good to go.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Ive used Super Lube, Weapon Shield and TW-25b
All very good grease.
My M1A seems to just love the Weapon Shield grease.
But, I believe the slickest I believe I've ever saw my pistol rails get, were with TW-25b. And, it don't take much ofvthat stuff either to do the job.
But, main point being, all very good stuff imo.
I also need to mention Slip 2000 ewg. Excellent.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Acid brush. Usually made with horse hair, depending where they are made. Lowe's and Harbor freight has them.

Or, you can get a package of small stiff bristled paint brushes of various sizes in the craft department of Wally World for about 97 cents.

I use both for spreading grease around or cleaning out nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have followed the Gray Guns grease rail application since I got my Legion. The slide cycles so smoothly and the grease of course does not burn off after a range session or even longer. I use Mil-Comm TW25B now on all longer metal-railed pistols (1911, CZ75 SP-01). Great stuff!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use either Superlube or Lucas Red and Tacky greases. They work great on my ratchets/mechanics tools as well. I found the easiest applicator for me is a curved nozzle syringe. Now it may be that I had a few of these laying around in the garage from gluing projects that have kept me from finding another method but has worked well for me. I load up the syringes with a popsicle stick and reinsert the plunger.
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbico-12cc-Curved-Hobby-Syringe/dp/B004QJV89I

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.