SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always just lubed my guns with regular gun oil or CLP and have always felt that running them wet will be OK as far as wear with only 200-300 rounds fired per range visit. I always clean after each range visit and inspect my firearms every few months.

Recently, I have been reading about the importance of using grease on the rails, so I lightly lubed the rails of my new M11A1 with the synthetic lube Super Lube. I guess I have reservations about using synthetic wheel bearing grease or mobile 1 on the guns even though people say they work great.

Anywho, for the first time since shooting, I racked the slide twice to chamber a round and it failed to fully seat a round. It felt like it was hanging up the slide more than with just oil.

So I'm starting to think that with using oil or CLP and cleaning after every 200-300 rounds every month or two, my guns will still outlive me and my son. What say you?

Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
I use grease on the rails and a little on the under side of the slide where the barrel rubs when it cycles and a very thin layer on the outside of the barrel and oil in all other locations. It's worked well for me. I am careful to use just thin layers, though (it's easy to overdo it).

Registered
In hot areas like Az regular automotive bearing Greece works fine. Lithium Greece will melt and run in 100 degree days. I know because I have had it happen. I only switch to oil wen the temp drops into the 30's.

Registered
In the video, he is not following SIG's amended procedure for SRT guns (now do it for all my SIGs, whether they require it or not - - it's just easier to get in the habit and avoid damage to your gun. From SIG's manuals: (Oh, and use grease on the parts that slide!)

"Appendix C: SRT Supplemental Instructions
Thank you for purchasing our new Elite Series pistol with Short Reset Trigger (SRT)
System. Please be advised that there is an additional step in field stripping your
pistol equipped with an SRT system. Disregard procedure 8.1, steps 5 and 6 and
follow the steps listed below:
鈥 Pull back the slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever. Hold the slide
firmly and allow it to move forward slowly.
鈥 As the slide reaches its closed position, decock the pistol. This will allow the
SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the
frame.
鈥 Now slip the complete assembly (comprised of slide, barrel, recoil spring and
guide rod) forward and off the frame.
Should you need any further support in disassembling your SRT equipped pistol,
please call our Customer Service Department at (603) 610-3000 ext 3."

馃帠USN Veteran
In the video, he is not following SIG's amended procedure for SRT guns (now do it for all my SIGs, whether they require it or not - - it's just easier to get in the habit and avoid damage to your gun. From SIG's manuals: (Oh, and use grease on the parts that slide!)

"Appendix C: SRT Supplemental Instructions
Thank you for purchasing our new Elite Series pistol with Short Reset Trigger (SRT)
System. Please be advised that there is an additional step in field stripping your
pistol equipped with an SRT system. Disregard procedure 8.1, steps 5 and 6 and
follow the steps listed below:
鈥 Pull back the slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever. Hold the slide
firmly and allow it to move forward slowly.
鈥 As the slide reaches its closed position, decock the pistol. This will allow the
SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the
frame.
鈥 Now slip the complete assembly (comprised of slide, barrel, recoil spring and
guide rod) forward and off the frame.
Should you need any further support in disassembling your SRT equipped pistol,
please call our Customer Service Department at (603) 610-3000 ext 3."
I agree. Good eye Bumper. I have the SRT and do follow the above procedure for take-down also stated in the manual addendum. Thanks for pointing it out.

Registered
Also, when assembling the slide to frame, the hammer should be lowered (down) for the same safety lever clearance reason. Of course, lower the hammer slowly when the slide is off.

What SIG does not say, is that on many guns with SRT, you can successfully get the slide off and on the old way with the hammer back. You may feel some increased resistance in doing so. BUT, don't do it! This stresses and causes wear to the parts. Over time, the safety lever may not push the firing pin block up high enough to completely clear the firing pin. The gun may still appear to work as normal, as the FP has enough energy to impact the FP block plunger and drive it up out of the way. This can cause hidden damage with the end result being intermittent fail to fire due to light primer strikes or complete failure.

Registered
Back for the question of greasing.

I use Lubraplate grease on all my guns (2022, 320s, 238, fn57). Anything that slides gets greased. That includes the rails, barrel, take down lever, guide rod and so on. My Father gave me the Lubraplate and not even sure you can still buy the same stuff. A very little goes a very long way. Some one posted on here they use a white high temp grease from Walmart. Cheap and it worked great.

I have to say, all guns run much better when they are greased over oiled.

Registered
Also, when assembling the slide to frame, the hammer should be lowered (down) for the same safety lever clearance reason. Of course, lower the hammer slowly when the slide is off.
If you disassembled the gun correctly for a SRT trigger, you decocked and the hammer was already down, wasn't it?

Or am I missing something here?

Registered
Grea

I am relatively new to the shooting community in that I purchased my first pistol (p245 compact) about 17-18 years ago. I was a diehard hoppes oil kinda person. It never failed me but I usually only fire between 100-200 rounds per range session and clean and oil after. I never experienced any abnormal rail or slide wear in my mind. Recently I've been using Mobil-1 grease on the rails of my sig pistols and the bolt carrier group of my ar. Since I started using the grease I've noticed no ill effects and my pistols seem to feel much smoother when I manually rack the slides. My only concern with using grease is the extra effort it takes to clean all the grease off between range sessions. No real Big deal. Just a few extra qtips. One other benefit I see is that the grease seems to stay put on my carry pistols when I have them on me.

All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either oil or grease. But that is just my .02 from my personal experience.

Registered
Grease or oil will work. Main thing is that it's lubricated with a quality grease or oil. Everybody has their favorite brands but any store purchased gun oil or grease will work. The grease new SIGS comes with is recommended by SIG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.