SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is what I've used for over 30 years. Just a couple of small dabs on the rails.

I've been using this as well and it seems to work great, I put a small amount on a Qtip & wipe it sparingly on the rails. Good old Hoppe's gun oil for the rest.
Warm here in FL year round, so no concerns about it getting too stiff.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I didn’t think of using grease on the slide and rails. I just use gun oil lubricant. Wouldn’t grease attract more dirt/grime? I’m no expert. Just looking to learn more. What’s the concensus out there? In my case, I have a 226 Legion and a 365.
Nothing attracts dirt and grime. The fouling is carbon, which is blown throughout the interior of the pistol upon each discharge. The fouling gets on the surface of exposed lubricant and is worked into it during cycling of the pistol’s components. A more viscous lubricant such as grease will be less susceptible to fouling mixing into it just based on its properties of being thicker than oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mix tungsten disulfide into both grease and oil for use in my firearms. Grease I use is Red Line CV-2. The CV-2 has not been a hindrance to function in winter time shooting. Mostly Red Line Oil also. Many brands on hand and types. Gun & auto.

Tungsten disulfide turns things black, so judicious use (I apply grease with a 1/8" wide brush to rails and other parts), racking the gun once lubed up, then wiping it down is advised. The stuff does not come out of clothes.

Overkill? Perhaps. When I went through my CZ guns, I applied tungsten disulfide alone as a dry film lube to polished surfaces following cleaning with alcohol. Made the paste as instructed. Applied and let dry, then buffed. It is messy to work with, but the slide in the frame moves with a tilt of the gun in my SP01. I was sold at that point.

I had more than enough tungsten disulfide left over once finished with the CZ guns to mix with CV-2, Geissele oil, and some Super Lube.

It is similar to moly, but is supposedly more durable and has a lower coefficient of friction. Temperature range is far beyond what our firearms will ever see. It sounded interesting. I tried it.

The bacon grease idea really has my interest piqued. I'm hungry. 😁

·
Registered
316 Posts
Polymer has "natural" lubricity properties. One manufacterer (Extar) advises "no lubrication" on it's Polymer EP9. Regardless, I am too old to not lubricate, thus I recently went to Tetra. I grease the rails on my P365's with a Q Tip and use Tetra "dry" on my barrels and bolts, and Tetra oil on my recoil springs.

All my magazines get wiped with a Hoppes Silicon cloth along with every round loaded into them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I mix my own Mobil 1 red grease with Mobil 1 oil to the consistency I want. Straight from the tube to a buttery like consistency and put it in a syringe like the OP does.
works fantastic and you will never run out for about $10 at Wallys...........

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've been using Mil-Comm TW25B for years. I bought a syringe for inside the rails and the small tube for everything else I use grease on. Typically, grease on sliding parts (rails, barrel, barrel hood, etc.) and oil on rotating parts.

It may be a little spendy, but it lasts many years.

View attachment 419957

View attachment 419958

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
This was the recommended lubes for SIGS by SIG for many years, till someone offered till someone offered them a better deal. That lasted a year or so and they changed again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have been mixing my own concoction for 5 years. sta lube super white grease mixed with fluid film to thin the grease down. No smile face on barrel. No slide Grove wear. 2 tiny wear spots on top of frame (pin head in size) Sta lube super white grease and fluid film are compatible. Does not migrate. Using on wife's p238 my p238 sport and my new P938 legion.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
As I recall SIG at one time included a small tube of TW25B in the case with their pistols. However, like several here, I use Slide-Glide Lite.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've noticed that in colder weather I seem to get more jams--especially with .22 autoloaders-- when I use grease on the rails. TG
Cold weather presents different challenges to lubrication, worthy of a post all its own.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think pretty much any grease will do so long as you watch round count. This was confimed by my gunsmith buddy.
I use the lucas oil and grease because I fell in love with thier motorcycle stuff and trust it but its expensive and overkill for general use.

I wouldn't use anything but grease in the rails here in AZ. For 4 months out of the year we are regularly in the 100 degree and better range and oil just seems to dribble out and evaporate. Grease is the only thing i found that sticks and i use it in any full slide to frame metal guns.

Plastic guns .. They get a few drops if oil as the manufactuer suggests.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I put this stuff on my Legion finish. It’s held up perfectly since.

I've been using Mil-Comm TW25B for years. I bought a syringe for inside the rails and the small tube for everything else I use grease on. Typically, grease on sliding parts (rails, barrel, barrel hood, etc.) and oil on rotating parts.

It may be a little spendy, but it lasts many years.

View attachment 419957

View attachment 419958

·
Registered
312 Posts
The temperature range of TW25B is pretty extreme, I wonder where people worried about grease are using their guns?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been reading about which grease is best for the slide rails, prices for 1oz tubes gave me pause and started thinking outside the box. Thanks to my LPN wife who brought this home and threw it in the junk drawer, I filled it with some Lucas red n tacky out of the grease gun and it works perfect! Gets right down in the bottom of the rails and slide.
It’s listed on the net as 12cc curved tip irrigation syringe. View attachment 419956
One of the conditions to avoid with red and tacky is excessive heat. How does it react to freezing temperatures?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been reading about which grease is best for the slide rails, prices for 1oz tubes gave me pause and started thinking outside the box. Thanks to my LPN wife who brought this home and threw it in the junk drawer, I filled it with some Lucas red n tacky out of the grease gun and it works perfect! Gets right down in the bottom of the rails and slide.
It’s listed on the net as 12cc curved tip irrigation syringe. View attachment 419956
I buy those syringes on Amazon - Fill them with WD-40, PB Blaster, sewing machine oil, etc.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
It’s listed on the net as 12cc curved tip irrigation syringe.
I don’t use grease. I use Militec-1 Oil on all my guns and never have any issues.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts