SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This topic has come up several times on this forum.
My personal preference is to never use grease. For lube I use a high quality gun oil only. I tried grease years ago and didn't like it. It did seem to attract and hold grit/fouling and cause jams.
Makers of high quality,close tolerance 1911s like Ed Brown actually warn you NOT to use grease.
I have guns that I've owned and shot for 50 years and they still look and function like new. If it ain't broke...
And, by the way, I've known a few guys who refused to pay for "gun oil" and used an alternative like automotive oil. They were always plagued with malfunctions. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Red-N-Tacky is my 'go to' grease - it works great. I see no sense in spending the ridiculous amount being charged for teeny-tiny tubes of "specially-formulated gun grease".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure about 'consensus' but many of us grease the rails - very effective. Tetra has exceeded my expectations - so little wear. Regular cleaning as needed but not necessarily after every range session. It's not necessary to field strip/clean a gun after a few mags/cyls. Disassembling, pushing pins, etc. adds unnecessary wear and risk.
Be careful with tetra. I used it for years but every time I would store a firearm for awhile in the safe it it would form a rust colored stuff around barrels and pins on the gun. I since changed to super lube and it seems to have fixed it.. if you google the rust with tetra grease it’s a known problem. It was great lube otherwise

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use grease on the rails of my 200 series and on the tabs on the fcu of my 320s.

Now I use Super Lube (Teflon). Robert Burke sent a tube to me when he returned a couple of my 320s he did work on. It has worked really well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In the few years I’ve been shooting I’ve never actually greased my rails, but I think I’ll look into it and try some 5w-30 or some Lucas. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I am fairly new to the sport and have noticed that the type of lube used on fire arms is almost like burgers. Many different stores and types with many personal preferences. I believe they pretty much all work for yhe average person. I wonder how critical lube really is for those who do not shoot as much in one visit?

I still use this "creep and set extreme pressure chain lube" because I have used it on many other projects for years, so I had it laying around. :D I now started using CLP and chain lube.

Maxima 74920 Chain Wax - 13.5 oz. Aerosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TZ1R...abc_4K8Z026A62N98R4JV63M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
P226 9mm Legion LE, P229 9mm Legion LE, P229 357 Sig, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, SP-01
263 Posts
I use grease only on the rails on every gun except my CZ TSO. It's a hand fit slide/frame and when I tried grease 90% of it got pushed out the back during assembly. I don't think grease is a good choice for really tight fitting guns.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've been using Mil-Comm TW25B for years. I bought a syringe for inside the rails and the small tube for everything else I use grease on. Typically, grease on sliding parts (rails, barrel, barrel hood, etc.) and oil on rotating parts.

It may be a little spendy, but it lasts many years.

View attachment 419957

View attachment 419958

I have used for years on the rails.

·
Administrator
40,476 Posts
I been experimenting with bacon grease.
Works good til it gets hot then it just runs out. Smells good as hell tho!
All natural and one pig will last a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
The only problem I have with grease on the slide rails is keeping the little 1.5oz plastic tube from blooping out a booger of grease the size of my pinky nail. Then its 15 minutes of work with a toothpick to redistribute the offending blob because I surely can’t suck it back into the tube!. :mad:

*** I know. I got a syringe, but my wife is Scottish. I won’t open the new one until the bottom of the open one is rolled up like a toothpaste tube

• Haha
Reactions: PlmRam and spredvan

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only problem I have with grease on the slide rails is keeping the little 1.5oz plastic tube from blooping out a booger of grease the size of my pinky nail. Then its 15 minutes of work with a toothpick to redistribute the offending blob because I surely can’t suck it back into the tube!. :mad:

*** I know. I got a syringe, but my wife is Scottish. I won’t open the new one until the bottom of the open one is rolled up like a toothpaste tube
I use a light coat of black molly on rails.
Moly greases are generally used in operations where high pressure metal surfaces are sliding against each other. These include roller bearings that have very heavy loads and shock loading. Moly greases are also recommended in slow or oscillating motion that is used in universal and CV joints.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I use a light coat of black molly on rails.
Moly greases are generally used in operations where high pressure metal surfaces are sliding against each other. These include roller bearings that have very heavy loads and shock loading. Moly greases are also recommended in slow or oscillating motion that is used in universal and CV joints.
Liquid Product Fluid Cone Drink
Microphone Font Auto part Electronics accessory Audio equipment

These are what I’ve used.

Reactions: fotog

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I use extreme weapons grease (EWG) on all my rails. 4 ounces lasts forever when dispensed using a syringe.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Combine oil and wax and you have grease. I used lip balm on all moving parts once at one Front Sight 4 day course. Ran just fine. Look for what suits you and your conditions best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i've grown very fond of a couple of drops of gun grease followed by a couple of drops of gun oil on each rail.....it's proven very nicely for me. Rails still look pristine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grease here, SW Florida, so no worries with cold. Even when I was in Va. I would use grease, at the time Glocks and would leave the gun in the cold range car (at range training) down in the 20's, no issues. This was in NE North Carolina and SE Va.
I would even use it on the connector.

What I've been doing is a light brush of Lucas oil, using a trimmed flux brush, followed by 2-3 dabs of grease on each rail, hood and barrel, Glocks, Sigs, HK's

21 - 40 of 94 Posts