SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
P230 .40 full and compact. Let’s go Brandon!!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been reading about which grease is best for the slide rails, prices for 1oz tubes gave me pause and started thinking outside the box. Thanks to my LPN wife who brought this home and threw it in the junk drawer, I filled it with some Lucas red n tacky out of the grease gun and it works perfect! Gets right down in the bottom of the rails and slide.
It’s listed on the net as 12cc curved tip irrigation syringe.
Chemical compound Service Nickel Metal Tool

·
Registered
P226 Legion 9mm
39 Posts
I didn’t think of using grease on the slide and rails. I just use gun oil lubricant. Wouldn’t grease attract more dirt/grime? I’m no expert. Just looking to learn more. What’s the concensus out there? In my case, I have a 226 Legion and a 365.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I've been using Mil-Comm TW25B for years. I bought a syringe for inside the rails and the small tube for everything else I use grease on. Typically, grease on sliding parts (rails, barrel, barrel hood, etc.) and oil on rotating parts.

It may be a little spendy, but it lasts many years.

Rectangle Font Parallel Cylinder Auto part

Font Book Water Magenta Monochrome photography

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I didn’t think of using grease on the slide and rails. I just use gun oil lubricant. Wouldn’t grease attract more dirt/grime? I’m no expert. Just looking to learn more. What’s the concensus out there? In my case, I have a 226 Legion and a 365.
I've noticed that in colder weather I seem to get more jams--especially with .22 autoloaders-- when I use grease on the rails. TG

·
Registered
469 Posts
I started out (in 2017) cycling through several types of grease, the last of which was TW25B synthetic. Now I use Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil on the slide rails and outside of the barrel of my P229 SSE, M11-A1, and Kahr K9. Grease is too messy (for me); cleaning is much faster (for me), and this oil stays put and doesn't dry out in the six to eight weeks between cleanings. (I field strip and clean after every range session. These days, I shoot only one pistol during a range session--usually either the M11 or the K9--and only a few magazines per range session. Range sessions are every three or four weeks.)

rx7sig

Reactions: hauki and spredvan

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a Quart of Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil. Works great on the rails and is far cheaper than ANY gun oil or grease. That 1 quart will last me a lifetime. Quite the bargain at $8.99.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've noticed that in colder weather I seem to get more jams--especially with .22 autoloaders-- when I use grease on the rails. TG
Same here, but even in warm weather, the switch to oil on the .22s cut way down on the jams. I still use a light grease on the centerfires, no trouble with it there.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I’m happy with extreme weapon grease, 20$ for a lifetime amount, I just apply it with a q tip type stick

Reactions: christak and hauki

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yerars ago, I bought a small plastic tub like container of Crane Cams assembly lube, it has moly in it too. It was intended for applying by hand to engine camshaft lobes where lifters ride on as a means to prevent wiping a lobe at start up with new cam and lifter sets. I use it on the barrel's outer surfaces where it slides on the slide's inner surfaces and the slide rails. It's thick, and dark grey. I need to get more but last lube I used some Ford spec front wheel bearing grease, it is fortified with moly too. Slick clingy stuff they both are. I can't find the Crane Cams stuff, but I've used this stuff by CRC too, it too has moly and graphite. Amazon.com: CRC Sta-Lube SL3333 EG Anti-Seize Engine Assembly Lube - 2.75 Wt Oz. : Automotive

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn’t think of using grease on the slide and rails. I just use gun oil lubricant. Wouldn’t grease attract more dirt/grime? I’m no expert. Just looking to learn more. What’s the concensus out there?
Not sure about 'consensus' but many of us grease the rails - very effective. Tetra has exceeded my expectations - so little wear. Regular cleaning as needed but not necessarily after every range session. It's not necessary to field strip/clean a gun after a few mags/cyls. Disassembling, pushing pins, etc. adds unnecessary wear and risk.

·
Registered
15,892 Posts
1 - 20 of 93 Posts