SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to post so much.

When I get a new hoppy I obsess over it. I recently shot my 320 for the first time and shot pry 110rnds through it with no malfunctions. I was shooting .40 cal at 180 grain. Well now I'm looking to get my wife into shooting but worried the .40 might be too much for her to handle. Is there a noticeable difference between 180grain and 155-165 grain?

Question number two... since I have a 320 carry in 40 can I buy a 9mm barrel and mag and shoot 9mm? Or do I have to buy the $400 conversion kit?

Thanks for supporting my crazy! If anyone is ever in GA area and need anything hit me up. IGY6!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had my gf shoot for the first time with my .40 SP2022. Ended up getting her a VP9, but starting her off w/ a 40 wasn't a good idea (it's all I had). I even got a 9mm barrel for the 40 and it has fired 500+ rounds w/o issue. (I used the 40 mags for 9mm ammo too)

For the P320 I think most would recommend you do the X-kit rather than just a barrel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to post so much.

When I get a new hoppy I obsess over it. I recently shot my 320 for the first time and shot pry 110rnds through it with no malfunctions. I was shooting .40 cal at 180 grain. Well now I'm looking to get my wife into shooting but worried the .40 might be too much for her to handle. Is there a noticeable difference between 180grain and 155-165 grain?

Question number two... since I have a 320 carry in 40 can I buy a 9mm barrel and mag and shoot 9mm? Or do I have to buy the $400 conversion kit?

Thanks for supporting my crazy! If anyone is ever in GA area and need anything hit me up. IGY6!
In my opinion 180gr is noticeably softer recoiling than 165 grain, generally speaking.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Sorry to post so much.

If you consider it a way of life then you don't have to fret over obsessions. Don't worry about posting too much! That's what the forum is for; a source and wealth of knowledge, so use it!

WRT the difference in recoil from the 165 to 180 grain .40, IMO, there isn't much, if at all. That doesn't mean it is too much for her to handle, though. In that platform it shouldn't be too bad, but she may prefer the 9mm. Only one way to find out. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't worry about posting too much. That's what the forum is all about. Take advantage of the wealth of information available here!

I notice little difference in recoil between .40, 165 / 180gr ammo but it can vary by manufacturer.

Although a 9mm barrel will work in your .40, the fit will be loose in the slide bore and accuracy will suffer. Some here, including myself, have noticed premature barrel wear as well since the smaller 9mm barrel shifts position inside the .40 slide

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I guess most 40sw shooters have missed out on the 135gr standard velocity ammo . Some like winchesters 135gr will only make around 1150fps in a 4" class barrel and is easy on the shooter . Not much more of a PL than a 124gr 9mm ammo .

You could also get into basic reloading with a single stage press kit to get started with . Make soft shooting loads . I have loaded some 135gr down to 1050 fps and with my high round count recoil assemble they ran fine . Might be an issue with a new pistol . Remember the recoil assemble in a 40sw is the same one used with the 9mm .

BUT Why do you not have a .22lr for your wife and you to practice with to help keep cost down and shoot more . Sig has a .22lr version of the P250c Different trigger but the feel in the hand will be the same and teach good trigger control being a smooth longer DA style trigger pull of about 6lb to 6.5lbs . Probably have a local dealer save a few more dollars too . Contact SIG CS and see if a 9mm x change kit will fit the .22lr lower too for an upgrade down the road .

·
Registered
868 Posts
"Looking to get the wife into shooting" and .40S&W do not go together no matter the grain.

Get a 22LR exchange kit (do they make it for the 320?) or a dedicated 22LR pistol (S&W Victory!!!!) to introduce people to shooting.

Of all common handgun caliber, the .40 is the least "newbie friendly"...

·
Registered
481 Posts
40 might be my fave (hard to say 45ACP is great too) but i wouldn't let newbs shoot it especially with a plastic firearm.

I guess most 40sw shooters have missed out on the 135gr standard velocity ammo . Some like winchesters 135gr will only make around 1150fps in a 4" class barrel and is easy on the shooter . Not much more of a PL than a 124gr 9mm ammo .

You could also get into basic reloading with a single stage press kit to get started with . Make soft shooting loads . I have loaded some 135gr down to 1050 fps and with my high round count recoil assemble they ran fine . Might be an issue with a new pistol . Remember the recoil assemble in a 40sw is the same one used with the 9mm.
Your reload 135gr 40SW are softer shooting than equal FPS reload 160 or 180? I can get my 147/9mm shooting much softer than 124/9mm for reference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts