SIG Talk banner

Got to be a Detectives Revolver

711 9
Scored this S&W Model 10 (no dash) revolver today. The serial number dates it to 1960.

The 2" barrel brings a premium along with the 4 screws. The back strap inscription of P.D. Montgomery is most likely factory done. The rack or badge number of 174 on the left side is better done than some electro pen stuff of the era. Most likely it is a rack number.

The grips are original, and the inside of the right grip panel is stamped with a matching number to the serial number on the butt.

The revolver does show some holster wear. It does not appear the gun has seen much shooting time by looking at the forcing comb and the barrel rifling.

The single and double action trigger pull is as sweet as a glass of Southern ice tea.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Looks just like mine only on my crane is E17; also a detectives revolver supposedly went thru 2 LEO careers in Chicago.

Reactions: lamarw and bearone2

· 🎖USA Veteran
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bearone2, The "no dash" is sort of a slang term indicating it is the first edition of a model line. In the second picture (inside the yoke) you will see MOD-10. The S&W Model had a total of 14 engineering and production changes. It is like MOD-10, MOD-10-1 and on up. Most are minor changes and some were simply unnoticeable changes to reduce production cost. The Model 10-5 had a standard barrel, and Model 10-6 had a heavy barrel. I have a Model 10-6 which is several years older than some of my Model 10-5's. They were both being produced at the same time.

It is funny since Model 10-13 was a commemorative for 100th Anniversary-Limited Production of 38. (Wish I had one of those). LOL

Hope this answers your questions. Regards, Lamar

· Registered
69 Posts
Nice find! I always wonder how many of those are lost or packed away in the basement or attic of the original owner's descendants.
Someone needs to do an 'American Pickers' style show, but about folks rummaging around for guns. I would waste many an hour on that show.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Congratulations, another "NICE" acquisition, a 2" Square Butt... It seems like most all I've seen lately as far as PD turn ins, have looked horrendous, with all of the extraneous engraving looking like it was done by a 2 year old, yet the sellers think they are worth an arm and a leg!!!

Reactions: lamarw

· 🎖USA Veteran
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Willard, I have no feel for the background on this one other than the markings. The hangtag indicated it was a consignment.

The seller is in Montgomery and is a distributor of law enforcement equipment.

It cleaned-up to be much nicer than the auction description.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.