SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old-style P938 SAS that I've owned for quite a while. Recently it's been pretty much displaced by a P365. However, when I saw that Sig is selling the new SAS slide with the Bullseye sights, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm fully aware that the SAS sights on the P365 get very -- shall we say mixed -- reviews, but I wanted to see for myself. At the same time, I mounted a new set of Sig Piranha grips, just to change the look.

The new slide comes with a very different guide rod than I'm used to on the P938. The bottom is flat and it appears to be one piece. Also, there is a shroud at the front of the frame into which the recoil spring is inserted at the end of the slide rather than just a shallow hole, and even though I used my existing recoil spring the usual wrestling match was shortened to one round rather than three.

After I mounted the slide I deployed a LaserLyte laser target system and set it up for 5 yards, which I consider a reasonable distance for this gun's purpose. It took a little getting used to, but within about a half hour I was able to set off the gong with every shot. I found that I did better with both eyes open (my eyes are 77 years old so I need both of them!).

Once I had the hang of the sight, I mounted my red Sig laser as I'd heard that these Bullseye sights are less than stellar in low light conditions. I soon had the laser co-witnessed with the green circle and dot.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with this new setup so far. Of course, the proof is in the shooting and I plan to do that as soon as possible. But so far, so good. It's a terrific little conceal carry package. Here's the 938 in its new garb (minus the laser).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Love the look of those grips! I must say I didn’t like the bullseye sights on my P365 in dim lighting at the range, they seem to need very bright or very dark... Post a pic with the laser when you can

·
Registered
607 Posts
Beautiful firearm. Looking forward to the range report!

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Very interesting. Could you post some pics of the recoil spring and guide rod assembly?

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Aren't the SAS slides cool? I have one for my 365 and get a kick out of having a smooth top to my slide - looks very cool. I'm still working on whether I will leave it alone or have it milled for a Trijicon RMRcc. I'll work with it for a while to see if I really am comfortable picking up the bullseye or not. Now that the weather is better, I'm going to take it outside for some work. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
I have an old-style P938 SAS that I've owned for quite a while. Recently it's been pretty much displaced by a P365. However, when I saw that Sig is selling the new SAS slide with the Bullseye sights, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm fully aware that the SAS sights on the P365 get very -- shall we say mixed -- reviews, but I wanted to see for myself. At the same time, I mounted a new set of Sig Piranha grips, just to change the look.

The new slide comes with a very different guide rod than I'm used to on the P938. The bottom is flat and it appears to be one piece. Also, there is a shroud at the front of the frame into which the recoil spring is inserted at the end of the slide rather than just a shallow hole, and even though I used my existing recoil spring the usual wrestling match was shortened to one round rather than three.

After I mounted the slide I deployed a LaserLyte laser target system and set it up for 5 yards, which I consider a reasonable distance for this gun's purpose. It took a little getting used to, but within about a half hour I was able to set off the gong with every shot. I found that I did better with both eyes open (my eyes are 77 years old so I need both of them!).

Once I had the hang of the sight, I mounted my red Sig laser as I'd heard that these Bullseye sights are less than stellar in low light conditions. I soon had the laser co-witnessed with the green circle and dot.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with this new setup so far. Of course, the proof is in the shooting and I plan to do that as soon as possible. But so far, so good. It's a terrific little conceal carry package. Here's the 938 in its new garb (minus the laser).

View attachment 394949
Looks good.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,004 Posts
Nicely done. I had no issues with the sight on my P365SAS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two more pictures, per request:

The pistol with the Sig laser attached

Here's a comparison of the guide rods and the recoil spring housing. Note the the bottom of the guide rod is flat and appears to be one piece. Also, the spring housing at the front of the frame is quite a bit deeper.

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 394949

View attachment 394949
I orderd one today and CS said use your stock rod and spring . Why did they send you a new style spring and rod ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I orderd one today and CS said use your stock rod and spring . Why did they send you a new style spring and rod ?
Just the rod came with the slide. I had the spring from an earlier visit to Sig in which they did a checkup and replaced all the springs.

I did run into an issue today that oddly didn’t show up yesterday. You’re supposed to see a circle and a dot, which I did yesterday. Today, however, I saw two intersecting circles, one below the other. When I put on my reading glasses it became one circle again — but I don’t wear reading glasses when I shoot. It could be my astigmatism, and if it is I’ll have to go back to the original slide with its easy to see Big Dot front sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just the rod came with the slide. I had the spring from an earlier visit to Sig in which they did a checkup and replaced all the springs.

I did run into an issue today that oddly didn’t show up yesterday. You’re supposed to see a circle and a dot, which I did yesterday. Today, however, I saw two intersecting circles, one below the other. When I put on my reading glasses it became one circle again — but I don’t wear reading glasses when I shoot. It could be my astigmatism, and if it is I’ll have to go back to the original slide with its easy to see Big Dot front sight.
But they told me use my stock rod and spring so all there sending is the slide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just the rod came with the slide
I've read about the two piece rods unscrewing.
Could this be an upgrade that they're trying not to "brag" about ?
Humm
Does the rod Sig sent with the SAS slide look like it would work with your original slide?

Locke

Reactions: Newhorizon

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Two more pictures, per request:

But they told me use my stock rod and spring so all there sending is the slide.
Thank you for the pictures. That's an interesting design change.

While the recoil spring may be interchangeable between old and new slides, I have my doubts that the guide rods are interchangeable.

The rearward motion of the P938 slide during recoil stops when the slide "chin" contacts the base of the guide rod as shown in the attached pic. When that contact is made, a "cylinder" is formed (red dotted line in pic) between the slide and guide rod base that houses the compressed recoil spring. With the new design, a portion of the cylinder length that was provided by the base of the guide rod has been moved to the depth of the slide chin.

P938 GR:SlideFit.001.jpeg

To my eye, using an original guide rod (with its deeper base) in a new SAS slide (with its deeper chin) will result in a shorter recoil stroke which will likely affect pistol function. I would not be surprised to hear that the slide will not retract enough to engage the slide catch lever.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Maybe Sig finally "admitted" that their two piece guide rod was a defective design. I replaced mine with a finely machined one piece stainless guide rod. Works like a charm with much better peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the look of those grips! I must say I didn’t like the bullseye sights on my P365 in dim lighting at the range, they seem to need very bright or very dark... Post a pic with the laser when you can
I agree. Those grips are hot. Did they come on the gun or did you buy them separately?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. That's an interesting design change.

While the recoil spring may be interchangeable between old and new slides, I have my doubts that the guide rods are interchangeable.

The rearward motion of the P938 slide during recoil stops when the slide "chin" contacts the base of the guide rod as shown in the attached pic. When that contact is made, a "cylinder" is formed (red dotted line in pic) between the slide and guide rod base that houses the compressed recoil spring. With the new design, a portion of the cylinder length that was provided by the base of the guide rod has been moved to the depth of the slide chin.

To my eye, using an original guide rod (with its deeper base) in a new SAS slide (with its deeper chin) will result in a shorter recoil stroke which will likely affect pistol function. I would not be surprised to hear that the slide will not retract enough to engage the slide catch lever.
That is a very perceptive observation, ...and very true. The "old" guide rod will not work in the new SAS slide..... UNLESS..... you remove some (a little over half) of the material indicated in pic.
I liked the old guide rod better than the one they send with the slide. So, off to the lathe we go and after a little trimming it fits and functions like in the old slide.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
I'm curious what it is about the original guide rod design that you prefer it over the new SAS slide design. Can't imagine that it's the "two-piece" construction that has a rep for coming undone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts