SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Got A New AR-10

10K views 121 replies 41 participants last post by  Harry_Gorilla 
#1 · (Edited)
I've likely lost my mind. Been looking to add an AR-10 for several years. With the current funny-world situation; I figured I better bite. Incar was an accomplice. Shout out to him for finding me a sweet deal on a Palmetto State Armory rig. Also steered me to the Vortex SPARC AR red dot. I highly recommend. I have a 3x monocular on order for it. Also added a Caldwell bipod, and Magpul front vertical grip. I won 600 rounds of 7.62 / .308 ammo on GB for a fairly reasonable price. A Savior range bag also added to keep things tidy.

I got it all squared away today, and headed to the range in a light rain. The Vortex sight is awesome. At 50 yards; I had it dialed in to very good paper with 6 shots. Put 20 rounds downrange to verify. Moved to the 100 and 200 yard ranges. As it stands now; this is the most accurate that I've ever shot. That's saying a lot for a mediocre shooter. Best I ever had was a Steyer SSG in the mid-80's. It was bolt action, but insanely accurate. Sent another 80 rounds downrange on the 100 and 200 yard ranges. I couldn't miss. The rain picked up near the end, so I didn't feel like walking back and forth too much.

I'd forgotten how powerful a round that .308 is! It was exhilarating, but betting good money that I'm going to be sore later. A few pics:

See less See more
#79 ·
Kinda funny about plinking now days.
I built an AR9 and AR15 for plinking and such.
Same with pistols, no 9mm for years and then got a few as .45 was getting expensive.

Now I just get .40, 45 and .308 as it's not much more than 9mm or 5.56 and plink with that.
And I can usually find .45 and .308 easier than 9mm or 5.56.

I found that I can't hit chit without magnification and quite a bit more than I thought I would need.
At one time I had no problem hitting milk jugs at 200 yds with open sights.
I got out of shooting rifles for several years and when I got back into it I had went to bi-focals and even corrected I was having trouble finding the target at 100 yds.
Just got a 20-60x60 spotting scope to help out seeing hits as well. Has a handy dandy cell phone adapter to mount and view the image that's pretty nifty.

Gotta love a .308

#82 ·
Hey HG. Have you seen these Fab Defense shock absorbing stocks?

I'm going to try one out on my .308.

Looks nice! Thanks. I'm a big fan of FAB Defense. I have one of their stocks on my 10/22 and love it. Post some pics and a review when you get it. I'm tricking out the Rock River AR-15 that I bought my son the same day, so it may be a few weeks for me. It looks really nice, and by experience, bet it's well made.

Thanks!

#83 ·
I ordered it from Grab-A-Gun, they had a decent price, and in stock.
I'll post some pics and will give an opinion once I can shoot with it.

#84 ·
I ordered it from Grab-A-Gun, they had a decent price, and in stock.
I'll post some pics and will give an opinion once I can shoot with it.

Wow. I didn't know he had any distributors. I knew he'd opened a facility in FL(?). I've always had to wait on shipping from Israel. Good information. Thanks again.

#91 ·
Very nice! I'm interested in hearing more. My recoil pad arrived mid-week, but I'm down with a nasty cold. Surprised they didn't try to lump me in with the Wuhan delight. I'm not sure this pad is going to take much of the edge off. It was livable before, but would be nice to be able to go through a hundred rounds without wincing. I like the look of yours. It's hard to tell if it has a lower profile.

Thanks!

#96 ·
just remember that driving a gas gun is very different than running a bolt action, and takes more to stay on target because of all the moving parts. bolt guns are very simple and when you pull the trigger, most of your work is done.
gas guns have more going on with the bcg going back, grabbing a round and going back into battery.
you want a firm hold. don't steer the rifle with the grip. pull straight back i use a thumb rest to make sure my thumb isn't involved at all.
and hold your trigger back through the shot. don't reset until you see your target after the shot.
don't pull the trigger and let go because you aren't done.
if you practice this "follow through" for each shot, you will get better at being able to see your shots and follow up quickly.

#97 ·
The best way to manager recoil is have a foregrip on the rifle. You pull back into your chest with the right hand on the pistol grip if a right hand shooter. The left hand you push away from your body on the foregrip. That helps cancel some of the recoil. But even at that, a .308 or a 12ga. shot all afternoon still puts some force against the chest.

This can also makes your arms tired because your tensed up while shooting. That's why I'm trying out the Fab Defense recoil stock.

#98 · (Edited)
The best way to manager recoil is have a foregrip on the rifle. You pull back into your chest with the right hand on the pistol grip if a right hand shooter. The left hand you push away from your body on the foregrip. That helps cancel some of the recoil. But even at that, a .308 or a 12ga. shot all afternoon still puts some force against the chest.

This can also makes your arms tired because your tensed up while shooting. That's why I'm trying out the Fab Defense recoil stock.

just remember that driving a gas gun is very different than running a bolt action, and takes more to stay on target because of all the moving parts. bolt guns are very simple and when you pull the trigger, most of your work is done.
gas guns have more going on with the bcg going back, grabbing a round and going back into battery.
you want a firm hold. don't steer the rifle with the grip. pull straight back i use a thumb rest to make sure my thumb isn't involved at all.
and hold your trigger back through the shot. don't reset until you see your target after the shot.
don't pull the trigger and let go because you aren't done.
if you practice this "follow through" for each shot, you will get better at being able to see your shots and follow up quickly.
Both good points. I guess I'm going to have to go ahead and order one to find out. I'll be back from NYC on Friday. Should be here by then.

EDIT 3-5 days to ship? Guess I'll be waiting.

Now, stop it! I have SIG's to feed!

Reactions: decula
#99 ·
Ok, I shot four magazines, so 80 rounds of .308 through the 716i today with the Fab Defense GL Shock stock. You definitely feel the rifle "compress" into the stock, I don't know, maybe 1/4" I'm guessing. But after you shoot a bit, it just feels normal, meaning "hey", this rifle is supposed to do this. Then you actually don't notice it once your mind knows it should be doing that.

As far as how my shoulder / chest feels, actually I have to say it does make a difference. I felt less "beat" on to phrase it. The rifle still recoils, the initial kick is less, and the rifle barrel does stay more level, it rises less. I was free standing and not using the bipod.

I'll keep it on, I like it. I don't think I'd use it on any of my 5.56 NATO rifles as they don't kick all that hard. Same with 7.62x39, its manageable to me.

#100 ·
I got a notice from GaG last night that it shipped. 3-5 days. Hopefully it will be there when I get home Friday. I'll try to get it installed this weekend and get to the range.

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I need to tighten the purse strings, now!

#102 ·
Wow. It made it here in 1 day. Just got back from NY and swapped stocks. 1st impression is; I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. Smaller profile, and the buffer is obvious. How much it mitigates recoil remains to be seen. We're suppose to get more rain this Saturday; but that's never stopped me before. I'll post a range report after I take it for a spin.

Thanks for the tip!

#107 ·
Went to the range this morning to try the new stock. It was less ambiguous to me. I love it! The recoil was not unreasonable before, but this is the same, or less, than a .223. I am actually very surprised. Pleasantly. I tried the OEM stock, and had the same results as I'd remembered. Not bad; but this is a great improvement. Thanks so much for the tip!

#110 ·
Tried to order one this afternoon for another AR, but the site wouldn't complete the payment. Try again from work tomorrow. Maybe my CC company thinks I've been spending too much on guns lately! 🤣

Reactions: Lonewolf McQuade
#112 ·
If it's any consolation; I bought ANOTHER AR-15 on Friday afternoon just before Allen West walked through the door. I've got to stop! Always been a handgun kind of guy, until recently. 3rd childhood. Can't take it with me...

Reactions: Lonewolf McQuade
#120 ·
Thanks. Good info. More hardware is on hold for a few weeks. I need to stock up on ammo. Getting to the end of the party money.:cool: When I came in with another new AR-15 last Friday; my son asked "Dad! What the hell???" He thinks I should be buying food! Crazy kids, these days...

Reactions: decula
#121 ·
I have an M1 Garand, and the sites are made for blind people I think. I shoot it real well. I can convert it to 7.62 very easily.
But, I havent stopped thinking about a AR10. 308 556 and AK ammo are some of the most popular ammos out there.
Might rifles to handle all three.
AR10 thread has convinced me to go buy one, or maybe make one...

#122 ·
I have an M1 Garand, and the sites are made for blind people I think. I shoot it real well. I can convert it to 7.62 very easily.
But, I havent stopped thinking about a AR10. 308 556 and AK ammo are some of the most popular ammos out there.
Might rifles to handle all three.
AR10 thread has convinced me to go buy one, or maybe make one...
I've had an enormous amount of fun with this one. With the GL Shock stock, you have to remind yourself that ammo isn't cheap! Remarkably accurate out to 300 yards. I'm a poor rifleman, so I'm sure others can do better - like my son. He's out of school for the summer, so I'm sure we're going to be spending a lot of time at the range. We have 600 and 1000 yard stops, as well. Just got a new spotting scope to make it easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.